Poll: Do you think Wild Mounts would be a good idea?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like chickens. Don't you dare judge me!

Wild Mounts... Attempt for people to go out in the world (of warcraft?)

So, I just had a thought about mounts since you know there are wild pets that can be tamed out in the world under diffrent weather conditions, what if there would be RARE wild mounts out there aswell? And now I don't mean many of them like 50-100 etc. maybe 5 per condinent or something.

What I mean by this, it's not a mob or something which you attack with your skills, like Time-Lost Proto-Drake for example. If you have the luck to see it, you can jump on it and then get new attacks, for example it can turn and you have to press like several abilities to hold on to the npc. Also you can have a strong ability for 20-30 seconds or something, and a ability which is low damage which you can spawn. The fight should take more than 4-5 mins I would think and sometimes it can become quite challenging.

Each condinent will have 3-5 mounts that can spawn which should be tuned to that type of condinent, so maybe a Green dragon, if it would be in Swamp of Sorrows.

Also there should be some EXTREMLY rare npcs in the world that you can fight and win their extremly rare mount.

This should be a thing people could to do in their free time, when they are bored in the capital cities, and just wanna search after a thing to do, this feature would enlighten people, I'm sure of. And the mount NPC's will NOT have a exact spawn point, it should have around 6-10 spawn points across the condinent. You will not always have the luck for your moutn you want to spawn, but you can show of your rare mount anyway. It's rare and many people like to flash with their rare mounts.

Anyways, Thanks for me! I hope you find this feature entertaining, and I hope to see it in future expansions of WoW. /Evarínya

Edit 1: Cross Realm Players, that are not on your realm will not be able to catch the rare mounts on your realm or even see them.
    Last edited by Lyseria; 2012-11-13 at 12:02 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be a good idea, I see way too much people in the capital cities, but also the spawn points would be incredibly full of people waiting for the mount rare to spawn. :P

Good idea, I like it.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome View Post
    I think it would be a good idea, I see way too much people in the capital cities, but also the spawn points would be incredibly full of people waiting for the mount rare to spawn. :P
    instead of just random spawn points, there could be some sort of... nope, lost it.

Deleted
    Thats actually something I have talked with friend some years ago(being a mount maniac), I would love it to happen.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    its a kool idea, but it wont be too new, it's gonna be just like Deepholm with a bunch of guys parked just camping aeonaxx, and it gets kinda boring, i've camped him. probably adding a different criteria or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    they already have these....aeonoxx, TLPD etc..

Actually with CRZ the world is a lot more populated now. I find people in every zone I go to. Sometimes only a few but mostly loaded. Every quest chain I do there is atleast 2 other people on the same chain.

Also world pvp .. it is picking up pace. All my alts have ganked or been ganked while leveling atleast once a day. I also play on a rp server so I imagine its a load more fun on pvp servers.

Akin to the Time-Lost Protodrake from Storm Peaks I would guess. I think it would be worthwhile, assuming the spawn points were not at all predictable. Make it so that the mount mob could spawn anywhere within the current continent, and make the fight extremely difficult but definitely possible for a solo player to accomplish. In other words, make having the mount a mark of both good fortune and good skill, not just the ability to camp a spawn point for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyseria View Post
    So, I just had a thought about mounts since you know there are wild pets that can be tamed out in the world under diffrent weather conditions, what if there would be RARE wild mounts out htere aswell? And now I don't mean many of them like 50-100 etc. maybe 5 per condinent or something. What do you think of the idea? Please leave suggestions and discuss.

Deleted
    When done correct, this is quite a promising idea.

Although something exists with [A] a rare spawn (think Poseidus and TLPD) I think it would turn out to be more like [B] something everyone can obtain or [C] random world-drop, both in order to prevent camping and excessive grieving of other players.

That said, I would like to see something like this be implemented. Be sure to post this on the official forums, too!

There are already TLPD in Northrend, Aeonaxx in Deepholm, Poseidus in Vashj'ir, mysterious figurine in Uldum. They are for no-lifers or for AFK autoclickers (I admitt I was AFK autoclicking with TLPD too, still didn't get him and with CRZ I will never get him).

Also I don't see why "going out in the world" should be always accented. Instances are part of "world" too, cities are part of "world" too. it depends greatly on definition of "world", though there are not much fans of seeing "world" as something where you need to compete/queue for mobs, resource nodes, etc. All attempts to push people into such "world" will only make more botters, autoclickers or simply upset players.

"Attempt for people to go out in the world"
    >implying people afk in cities.

Since MoP launch there's hardly anyone to be found in cities, so few that making groups for anything is near impossible if there are no guildies online. Besides that, the idea already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    "Attempt for people to go out in the world"
    >implying people afk in cities.

Since MoP launch there's hardly anyone to be found in cities, so few that making groups for anything is near impossible if there are no guildies online. Besides that, the idea already exists.
    My cities are full packed, what are you talking about?

It would be nice. But nothing like TLPD again. I've sat out there far too long nd still don't have it. I don't need another one of that.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    While I like the thought, it isn't original. They aready have rare mounts in game, even if you don't exactly 'tame' them so much as kill and loot them afaik.

I wouldn't mind a more fleshed-out system, however, where you could tame every big animal in game and use as your mount.

It is a fun idea, but I don't see this happening in the near future. It raises many questions about whether it would be worthwhile or not.

I also think that obtaining mounts from killing the respective NPCs is a silly way of doing things. If this was to happen, I would prefer seeing some sort of a taming system being implement.

I like the idea of it being closer to pet battles than the plain mount camp/ lucky drop that we have now.

Some of the mounts would be able to spawn anytime of day/night, as the mounts get rarer the times they can spawn and the spawning conditions would get more limited. The locations that the mounts could spawn would be something close to how the rare hunter pets would spawn in the Twilight Highlands, a lot of different locations that the mounts could spawn at.

For the taming of the mounts I would like to see a three part approach. For the first part I would like to see something like the quest in Vashj'ir where you have follow button prompts while doing damage to the mount. When the mount reaches a certain hp percent you will get dismounted and enter the tank and spank phase, depending on the rarity of the mount this will either be normal or hard. The last phase would be very much in keeping with the pet battle theme and you would be given a taming button at a certain hp percent. The lower the hp percent the easier the taming will be but each time you miss taming the chances that you will be successfull on the next taming would go up, like in pet battles. During this phase the mount will still continue to do damage to you so and there will also be a chance that you may kill the mount which would end with the mount despawning and the player not learning the mount.

Lastly I would like for the player and the mount to go into a phased zone when the player mounts up at the start of the fight. It would be nice if wild mount taming was both about a little luck and bit of skill.

To all those who said people will camp the wild mounts. Wild = Wanders everywhere, unpredictably. You can either gather a group of trusted people to hunt it down or you can relly on luck when you go around the world for some other reason ( proffs, leveling ). Also, the mounts can have wild "level" in the form of rarity. An epic quality mount will also require training the mount, trying to tame it. Not doing quests or stuff, just, you attempt to ride it, it knocks you off, and you have some sort of skill points or reputation with the mount itself. Once you capture it, it will depends on the place/time and other conditions of how the mount will react. With time and lots of attention/effort the mount will take a liking to you and let you ride it.

I love this idea! Taming my own mounts in Ultima Online was one of my favourite features.

I agree that mount taming could use an interface similar to pet battles. Perhaps you could choose between giving the creature food, wrestling it, or talking to it sweetly, etc.

It'd also be fun to customize mounts with armour, banners, ribbons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    I like the idea of it being closer to pet battles than the plain mount camp/ lucky drop that we have now.
    Exactly, I don't know where other posters are getting the idea that the OP just wants more TLPD clones.
    Just use the current wild pet system (the spawning and conditionals and such) and apply it to a few mounts. Obviously not as many should be available as with wild pets, and I'm sure most would prefer the skins at the very least to be unique, unlike the current wild pets of which many are duplicates with only a different name. It'd be akin to having a Thundering Cloud Serpent spawn only during a thunder storm in zone X, or maybe a panther only even having a chance at spawning when it's dark at night. Much more interesting than the current rare spawn mounts, which are merely on rather set and predictable timers.