Exclamation Is WoW a Function of Deterministic Chaos?

You may have to look up what 'deterministic chaos' means to actually understand the question. I believe slightly differing initial conditions in wow may very quickly become big differences. If that is true, which I am not sure it is, then wow is a function of deterministic chaos, and there is no hope what so ever of predicting what changes the devs make to the game will ultimately become. If true even the devs would be helpless against this, as there would be nearly an infinitely number of variables to account for.

A butterfly flaps its wings...2 years later there is a typhoon halfway across the world.
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2012-11-13 at 02:20 AM.

Deleted
    Yes a bit like my sock draw

Deleted
    I think your post, while having a pretense of being scientific, completely lacks it. It's nothing but a speculation and, imho, showing off.

I believe slightly differing initial conditions in wow may very quickly become big differences.
    For you, what in WoW is an initial condition? Define your observed variables. Define the measure/distance on them. Define "big".

Suppose you defined the things I asked.
    I believe slightly differing initial conditions in wow may very quickly become big differences. If that is true, which I am not sure it is, then wow is a function of deterministic chaos<...>
    It is necessary for deterministic chaos, but not sufficient.

Even the devs would be helpless against this, as there would be nearly an infinitely number of variables to account for.
    IIRC, Lorenz (you reworked his quite poetic metaphore in your signature) didn't need infinite number of variables to discover strange attractors and develop the theory of chaos. Yet it's quite easy to create a dynamic system with arbitrary big number of controlling variables which converges to a stationary solution.

Sincerely,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    If that is true, which I am not sure it is, then wow is a function of deterministic chaos, and there is no hope what so ever of predicting what changes to the game will ultimately become. Even the devs would be helpless against this, as there would be nearly an infinitely number of variables to account for.
    Although interesting as a concept for gaming, if there were no control of the chaos (especially from devs) there will be anarchy.

Anarchy is not a good thing for civilizations (e.g., in gaming the community). We already have some of it in WoW, and that already shows how the community in general behaves.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Althanza View Post
    I think your post, while having a pretense of being scientific, completely lacks it. It's nothing but a speculation and, imho, showing off.

For you, what in WoW is an initial condition? Define your observed variables. Define the measure/distance on them. Define "big".

IIRC, Lorenz (you reworked his quite poetic metaphore in your signature) didn't need infinite number of variables to discover strange attractors and develop the theory of chaos. Yet it's quite easy to create a dynamic system with arbitrary big number of controlling variables which converges to a stationary solution.

Sincerely,
    I was going to type something similar, but will instead just quote this to explain my view of the OP.

No, it's not a function of deterministic chaos (is there another kind?)

It's a function of large numbers non-deterministic self-modifying actors displaying emergent behaviour. You know... humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Althanza View Post

Sincerely,
    Okay you got me I was showing off a little bit using big words and abstract concepts of chaos theory. There is still a question there but I wanted to see if anyone else could grasp it. If I ask a really hard complicated question with complicated wording it saves me the time of weeding out the derps in a thread, since only those with intelligence will grasp the question in the first place.

No. It's a function of regular chaos, unless you're in a raiding guild in which case it's organised chaos, or LFR, in which case it's absolute chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    No. It's a function of regular chaos, unless you're in a raiding guild in which case it's organised chaos, or LFR, in which case it's absolute chaos.
    lol no one understands except for one other person. I gotta make more threads like this. It allows me to see who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.

Deleted
    Nah.. It's just a computer game dude.

lol no one understands except for one other person. I gotta make more threads like this. It allows me to see who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
    You know that's a two-way observation, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    These forums are not exactly a good place for such discussions. If it doesn't have Blizzard or WoW stamped on it don't expect much of a reply.

Sometimes there's good discussions, couple here can post very good replies/rebuttals, but often it shows what happens when kids are allowed a keyboard and modem. -_-
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."