Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    both are technically possible while staying below market price of the build
    If it's unlocked or unlockable and below market price, people will empty store shelves in days and use those for cheap linux boxes which loses Valve money. That's why they can't do it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm seeing the console being droped within 10 years. theres no need for it now a days as it speaks. we could easily make a 50"+ TV integrated with 2 laptop grade gtx680M's and a CDdrive or just add in SSD for storage and its don deal.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've compiled a steambox with BitFenix ​​Prodigy case. Steam will automatically start in the Big Picture Mode and Windows will automatically shut down when you close Steam. With Windows 8 & 120GB SSD, it will cost € 599 and can play all games with high graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by mysimon View Post
    it will cost € 599
    Which is twice as much as any current console.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    but way more awesome performance wise. (just because the average consumer is a cheapskate shouldn't limit the rest)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    but way more awesome performance wise. (just because the average consumer is a cheapskate shouldn't limit the rest)
    And casual gamers will not care, because they can play the same games at half or less prices.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Console gamers don't care and PC gamers don't want to buy gimped pseudo-computer but rather build their own system without compromises. PS3 was awesome and sold for $600 because at that time cheapest dedicated BluRay players cost several hundred more, but there's nothing that would draw me in in a cheap-ass single vendor gaming PC.
    Trolling should be.

The PS3 cost 600 bucks at release and needed a price drop to sell. For "console" gaming I'd much rather just get an A10, some cheap FM2 board, 8GB RAM and a 300W PSU for 300, maybe throw in an HD 7770 for another 110. Most linux distros are free and I could run anything I wanted on it (that runs on linux of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The PS3 cost 600 bucks at release and needed a price drop to sell. For "console" gaming I'd much rather just get an A10, some cheap FM2 board, 8GB RAM and a 300W PSU for 300, maybe throw in an HD 7770 for another 110. Most linux distros are free and I could run anything I wanted on it (that runs on linux of course).
    Well, keep in mind that the PS3 had very little to justify its price for the longest time. With very few games to boast of it's hard to get anyone to adopt a system this expensive. The Steambox on the other hand would have the entire Steam library, albeit with varied levels of controller support.

Well, keep in mind that the PS3 had very little to justify its price for the longest time.
    It cost $650 at launch, while cheapest BluRay player was $1000. That's what sold PS3 for first few years, not the games.

The Steambox on the other hand would have the entire Steam library, albeit with varied levels of controller support.
    That's the biggest problem which will suck for Steam console. Even though the store is fitted for TV & thumbstick use, many of the biggest games are not.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    That's the biggest problem which will suck for Steam console. Even though the store is fitted for TV & thumbstick use, many of the biggest games are not.
    Well, just about every console port does. It will be difficult for all the pc-only games, although how hard can it be to let HL2 work with a controller. Biggest drawback would be the indie games, in that regard.

Exactly why can't consoles use a bloody keyboard and mouse for controls? Tradition? Controller handsets are quite simply crap for most games. If they want to revolutionize console gaming by bringing PC games to the table, why not ditch the controller completely and use proper interface devices instead?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-10 at 12:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by siafu View Post
    i believe ur reading to much into this. i have tested it before and i got the impression that this just the new steam designed to work on windows 8 like an app.
    I think it is in fact an early alpha/beta for a console, but for a console not coming until 1-2 new generations of console. Theres no way they got plans for a console soon, but I think one is coming in the far future one way or another.

It cost $650 at launch, while cheapest BluRay player was $1000. That's what sold PS3 for first few years, not the games.
    I don't remember well what the prices of bluray were, because honestly I wasn't interested enough in that as a platform. I can certainly understand where you're coming from though, but it hardly changes the fact that gamers like games, and the PS3 had very little of those.

I imagine it'll be a really mixed bag. "Many of the biggest games" that you refer to here are FPS games, wherein the players using a controller would be demolished regardless of how well a controller was supported. And most of the "biggest games" you're referring to are console-ports in the first place.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you buy a lot of games and compare the prices of Steam with the prices of the Xbox, there is no big difference in price.

The only way Steam Box might succeed if the console itself tries to compete with the Xbox, Playstation and Wii U.

If Valve tries to use Linux and try to compete with a Windows PC then the whole system will fail because developers won't develop games for Linux (majority don't even bother with macs) because they won't see any added value. It isn't like the steam box will bring them new revenue like mobile phones games.

And I have my doubts retailers would be willing to sell a Steam Box if games can only be downloaded on-line. Remember the PSP Go which allot of retailers refused to sell because (go I think it was called) it didn't support those disc and thus they couldn't make a profit of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    The only way Steam Box might succeed if the console itself tries to compete with the Xbox, Playstation and Wii U.

If Valve tries to use Linux and try to compete with a Windows PC then the whole system will fail because developers won't develop games for Linux (majority don't even bother with macs) because they won't see any added value. It isn't like the steam box will bring them new revenue like mobile phones games.

And I have my doubts retailers would be willing to sell a Steam Box if games can only be downloaded on-line. Remember the PSP Go which allot of retailers refused to sell because (go I think it was called) it didn't support those disc and thus they couldn't make a profit of it.
    they could sell games marketed for [Steambox] with a download disc but optional to DL it as well.

Etc.
    I'm rubbing my temple trying to figure out how to bring you the news in the least potentially insulting way, but you do realize that Linux has software that for the largest part completely nullifies your concerns?

If Valve tries to use Linux and try to compete with a Windows PC then the whole system will fail because developers won't develop games for Linux (majority don't even bother with macs) because they won't see any added value.
    Game developers don't want to touch linux because it's a mess of epic proportions. Before Microsoft brought out DirectX API Windows was in just as bad mess with competing graphics APIs and sound card drivers. What DX gave was well defined and static platform to develop on without having to worry about writing code for ATI and Nvidia cards separately.

Linux is still in that swamp with 3-4 competing audio driver models and desktop environments and graphics drivers, and that is the reason game developers simply do not want to touch it with a ten foot pole. Valve actually does fix that crap entirely if they push for static Steambuntu linux that has always same drivers and same desktop APIs, giving developers one static version of linux to work with. It means that people not using Valve's version of Ubuntu will be screwed with the new linux games, but at least they have the option to install all required stuff that is needed for compatibility if they choose to.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    And casual gamers will not care, because they can play the same games at half or less prices.
    This is hairy territory even mentioning casual vs hardcore. It is not a hardcore gamer that goes out and builds a gaming rig and expects more than the game being playable and enjoyable, XBOX and PS3 already do this so has nintendo sega etc for YEARS. Truth be told w/ peripheral choices, and the ever growing collection of games consoles graphics cards etc just makes all gamers want the market to in somewhat produce quality GAMES over quality videos. CGI, cutscenes etc really arent gaming. The general consensus of video gaming is gameplay>graphics, let us also not forget its actually the CASUAL gamers who really see the commercials and go hell yea Ill play that, where as hardcore gamers find something they dominate at and keep with it, Unreal tournament 04 was played how long? CS:S how long? etc

Gaming needs a standard and baseline that is what consoles do, they do not use custom pc's @ pro tournaments, to the point where everything is a specific brand model frequency etc, its all going to be leveled like pro sports at the most hardcore of gaming levels, so no casual and hardcore have absolutely nothing to do with this entire topic at all.