Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    you have the same setup as mine cpu and gpu wise. The both Overclock incredibly well and you will notice a huge difference in anything you do. a 3570k will oc to 4.6ghz with ease (46x100 @ 1.25-1.3v) and 7970 to 1200/1700 with a slight voltage increase and the fans at 50%. Ive not played rift with this setup as i quit 4 months after release. But cranking up your system would'nt be a bad option. With those settings i can run anything maxed out with ease
    Does Warlock Stuffz

Quote Originally Posted by Bismark666 View Post
    you have the same setup as mine cpu and gpu wise. The both Overclock incredibly well and you will notice a huge difference in anything you do. a 3570k will oc to 4.6ghz with ease (46x100 @ 1.25-1.3v) and 7970 to 1200/1700 with a slight voltage increase and the fans at 50%. Ive not played rift with this setup as i quit 4 months after release. But cranking up your system would'nt be a bad option. With those settings i can run anything maxed out with ease
    You are overclocking a 3570k at 4.8ghz? Holy shit how hot does that get even on watercooling? I get good temps at 4.2ghz with a 212 evo just air cooling. 50 degrees under load which is good. I don't want to damage my cpu that much as I don't want to replace any parts in a couple of years.

Under full load stress tested core 1 usually hits about 75 max, rest usually 68+. You never hit those kind of temps gaming though and usually all cores are around the mid to high 60s which is fine. The watercooler i use on extreme preset cooling is great. Plus the fact the motherboard i use lets you change any setting you can possibly think of so it certainly makes getting a stable overclock easier
    Does Warlock Stuffz

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    Is anyone here using a gtx 680 or a gtx 670. Something closer to the power of a hd 7970. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread but maybe it's something with the newer generation cards, I have no clue.
    Unfortunately, this isn't the case - the GTX 6xx series have only been good so far to Rifters, from what I have heard so far. It's more just AMD doesn't seem to get along with Rift. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Unfortunately, this isn't the case - the GTX 6xx series have only been good so far to Rifters, from what I have heard so far. It's more just AMD doesn't seem to get along with Rift. =/
    I had problems back in the day with AMD and WoW too. I took my AMD card back after a week and went back to a newer Nivida card and never looked back. I think WoW is or was optimized for Nivida many games are, it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Have you looked at rift.cfg since patch 1.11? It's completly changed now btw. I use to turn down the particle density in there to 20 since the lowest Rift will let you do is 100 and that's crazy. It's what causes big blobs of spell effects on mobs from players as seen in this picture below. I don't know how you can change values anymore safely and if you can please enlighten me.

As I now gaze into my RIFT Game folder I notice, confused, that the .cfg file seems to have disappeared entirely. With a little looking I think I found it: User/AppData/Roaming/Rift, and there it'd seem to be. To me, at least, it'd seem to be working just as it has before. And yeah, I keep VFXlimit at 20 too. Another thing you might do is to increase your VfxCullDistance to somewhere around 250. This might seem counter intuitive, but it will prevent the game from just dropping effects already loaded in, say, Meridian or Sanctum, when you move a slight distance away from them, and then reloading them again as they/you move further. some of that certain type of "not quite FPS" lag is caused by the game constantly reloading things. If your .cfg file doesn't have the "VfxCullDistance" option at all, just add it there.

Regarding AMD: don't install beta drivers, they will more often than not cause stability issues. The latest Catalyst + drivers beta version made my RIFT crash constantly to desktop. I had to uninstall it and downgrade to the stable drivers. But then again, it is beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I had problems back in the day with AMD and WoW too. I took my AMD card back after a week and went back to a newer Nivida card and never looked back. I think WoW is or was optimized for Nivida many games are, it is what it is.
    Yeah, the next build I'll do will be Nvidia based. I like AMD well enough, but I pretty much only need the extra power for gaming, and sadly enough, AMD just isn't very... good with that.
    Last edited by Marc7; 2012-11-13 at 01:38 AM.

Actually they did something that pretty much made the game worst for newer better PC's around 1.4 with the release of HK, i am pretty sure the Hide FX option is the reason.

I quit Rift before this summer and i was there from the start, and i am really stuck-up when it comes to FPS drops since i like to keep my PC clean and Rift really annoyed me in that part, always searching for new things to just make it work.

i7 2600K
    GTX580
    8GB @1.6MHz

Before 1.4 and HK, Greenscale, mid fight with plants everywhere and the Word Of Death, everything maxed, custom options, all tweaks VFXLimit 7500 which in the end means maximum VFX even if its "supposedly" better and i had around 50 FPS mid fight.

After 1.4, shadows off, not even environment, VFXLimit = 20, and i never saw 50 FPS mid raid since 1.4 either in HK or GSB or ID during the last days i played, supposedly weaker PC's became better then, so i am assuming they changed something, and god knows what.

In a sense it went from 50 FPS and everything maxed, to 35 FPS with lots of changed stuff, in reality it went from 50 FPS to 19-22 which only manual Rift.cfg changes would fix, like the VFXLimit = 20 which is the biggest FPS improve by far.

Later the post about useless macros on other specs and lots of macros was an issue also, i remember deleting them, which indeed gave me a few FPS back.

Frankly, the game is awesome, its what WoW should have been after TBC, it gave me a good year and 3 months, but i hated it for its engine, i really dont understand why they didnt use Unreal engine, it would have been so much better.

Many people just dont play Rift cause of the optimization reason, frankly i would have been one of those also if i wasnt stuck with leading a guild for a year.
    Last edited by potis; 2012-11-13 at 04:09 AM.

These 2 links are from the rift official forums:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ps-issues.html

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-guide.html

For AMD, make sure to update your profiles and drivers, as only updating drivers will not get you the latest profiles.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are far too concerned with waving the e-peens and boasting about their systems to even comprehend how FPS works, most games consoles are locked at 30 FPS yet you don't read Johnny X-Box hero complain about his FPS

There's no doubt the Gamebryo engine, or what remains of it after Trion has customised it, isn't the best engine out there and most people will agree some people have issues, but when i read people that have much, much better systems than me complain of shite FPS issues i have to wonder can they configure their systems?

I've been using my system for well over 2 years now and already i'm two generations behind with the CPU family, Bloomsfield, i run an i7 975EE o/c to 4.8Ghz and an ASUS GTX570, heck i'm so mean i don't even have an SSD instead relying on a Western Digital Raptor spinning at 10k

Storm Legion seems to be much better optimised from what i experienced on Beta, but also take a look at your graphic cards control panel, you can adjust a lot of settings in there which will help immensly. For example you can set a lot of them to 'application controlled'

Anyhow, check out this useful article from the Rift forums, some very useful tips and it's a bit more up to date from just 2 months ago

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ce-tweaks.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Weird. I run an AMD/ATI card on Rift, no issues.
    Which one? Based on what I've read, usually most people running AMD/ATI cards in Rift get lower fps on average than those running equatable NVidia cards.

I have heard of some whose fps was totally fine, too, so I'm well aware it isn't something 100% across the board, but more often than not I hear bad things about running AMD/ATI with Rift. >_<
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    April 2009 model AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB DDR5.
    Huh. Though at the same time I wouldn't expect exactly stellar performance from that, I think more folks with 6xxx/7xxx series models are having issues, though. A 7970 should get about the same fps as a 670/680, yet it doesn't. Makes no sense, imo.
    "A flower.

Have you tried the 12.11 drivers? I would. The 12.10 and earlier drivers were horribly horrid. WoW(which is another game that favors nVidia) saw some pretty signifigant increases with the new drivers:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...rmance/20.html

So did many other games that are much more nVidia friendly. The jump from 12.10 to 12.11 is the largest increase in performance video cards have ever seen from a driver update. Give it a shot and see if it helps. If it doesn't, or is unstable, you can always roll back.

I went from gtx480 overclocked to a 7970, what a waste of money, get WORSE fps in Rift than my old card. Will only buy Nvidia now 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    I went from gtx480 overclocked to a 7970, what a waste of money, get WORSE fps in Rift than my old card. Will only buy Nvidia now 100%
    Did you return it?

Maybe get a 670 or 680 instead.
    "A flower.

Turn off other players spell effect in Interface option.I went from 30 to 90 fps on my gtx590.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Rift is bad constructed. That's the flaw with the game.
    Same with GW2, unfortunately. Games are great but horrible horrible engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Same with GW2, unfortunately. Games are great but horrible horrible engines.
    I don't think you have enough data to point to broken game engines.

As a counter point, I run an ATI 7850 and cannot run WoW in DX11 -- it results in intermittent PC lock ups. Its the only game where this happens, and after extensive testing confirmed it has nothing to do with mods.

In contrast GW2 runs flawlessly, and I can run Rift on a combination of med/high settings and maintain 40fps.

I think Rift's headroom is quite high in terms of graphical settings, which leads to the perception that its poorly optimised. I'm fairly certain when Rift is 7+ years old that the latest gen hardware will be able to run it at 60-90fps without incident in a similar manner to WoW today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do be aware that ATI is gone, ATI were bought out by AMD and GPUs are simply now called "AMD Radeon." There is no ATI.

Just like there is no spoon. Or lag.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 660ti and I run almost everything max 1080p, bar full shadows (environment only) and AA set to edge-smoothing, normal i5 2400 3.1GHz, non-clocked and regularly get between 45~60 fps.

Deleted
    Uh huh, I've got a 570 and a i7-950 and run with 40 fps in most places with everything maxed out ._.