Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Pally - Spending HP for LoD

Hi guys,
    In LFR I've seen holy pallys and there #1 or #2 top heal is Eternal Flame. I personally don't like spending HP for that.
    I rather spend it for LoD, and keep Sacred Shield up on the tank. Is it a matter of preference, or not? Noxxic recomends Sacred Shield.

Also, if you put Sacred Shield on a pally tank, does 2 apply (a lot of pally tanks already put that shield on themselves).

My guild is currently 3/6 normal 25 man and my top spells are:
    1. Illuminating Healing
    2. Light of Dawn
    3. Arcing Light
    4. Holy Shock
    5. Beacon of Light
    6. Holy Radiance
    7. Diving Light
    8. Sacred Shield
    9. Holy Light
    10. Flash of Light
    11. Daybreak
    12. Guardian of Ancients
    13. Word of Glory
    So on and So on....

*I edited to reflect boss fight on the second boss, not the whole raid (boss/trash )
    Last edited by Bostonian; 2012-11-13 at 04:23 AM.

I made the switch from SS to EF a couple weeks ago. I liked EF due to the ability to beacon the tank, and EF a couple people (either 1-2 HP EF's) and that's just more healing that he gets. These heals proc more mastery and such. But as you said, it is just preference. IF you ahve a pally tank I think I'd recomment switching to EF.

Is it a matter of preference?
    No, it's a matter of efficiency and HPS.
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

It's not even close to a matter of preference as long as Divine Purpose and the 4p PvP set bonus continue to function as they do. Eternal Flame is vastly superior; I can sustain 90k HPS on garalon (10m normal) indefinitely, in ilvl 480, just spamming it and holy power generators (as a totally average normal mode raider). (I've sustained 130k+ in LFR, with people derping around like morons, in a zero-overhealing environment, and me spamming holy radiance on camps of people with all the spare mana I have; not very viable in 10m though).

The way that the pvp set bonus lets Divine Purpose procs generate a free holy power, along with its ability to proc itself, produces so many free eternal flame casts that it's not even funny. I've had moments where I've just spammed eternal flame 20+ times in a row without casting another spell, because of the way this proc system works.

Slight digression: How do you manage to get holy shock to be your top healing spell, with its 6 second cooldown?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

EF and SS both have their uses, certain fights really favour LoD>EF so heavily you might as well get the free absorb from SS, for most 'normal' fights though, EF is just flat better, even without the above mentioned 4 piece setup

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    It's not even close to a matter of preference as long as Divine Purpose and the 4p PvP set bonus continue to function as they do.
    OP clearly isn't playing with the 4pc so this is not really relevant to them.

OP, there are a couple of fights where eternal flame is really useful. Blade Lord and Garalon spring to mind. Otherwise don't feel pushed into EF for every boss. SS and LoD is a good choice for a lot of fights. EF spam requires the other healers to pick up the healing spikes while you raid blanket so it also requires the support of your healer team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    OP clearly isn't playing with the 4pc so this is not really relevant to them.
    There's no excues not to be playing with the 4p; that's like playing ungemmed, unenchanted, and without professions.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

There's no excues not to be playing with the 4p; that's like playing ungemmed, unenchanted, and without professions.
    ^this

Stop slacking and being bad.

You will love the 4 set bonus, take my word
    Last edited by Aquilesmagno; 2012-11-13 at 03:10 AM.

Slight digression: How do you manage to get holy shock to be your top healing spell, with its 6 second cooldown?
    Opps, I was prob looking at over all healing for the night which includes trash...

thanks for the tips all

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    Opps, I was prob looking at over all healing for the night which includes trash...

thanks for the tips all
    Any question you have, pm me, I'll try to help

PvP is lame and I play this game for fun, hows that for an excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    PvP is lame and I play this game for fun, hows that for an excuse?
    Justice Points = Honor points. No excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...Why not both? Seriously, I utilize both methods of healing depending on the situation.

Raid spread out for a majority of fight/tank damage consistent? Eternal Flame that bitch up and break some healing meters.
    Close knit raiding/unpredictably large tank hits? Welp let's sacred shield and light of blind the raid.

You really have to call it, it's the first time in a while talents have actually been legitimate choices to make. And those choices could be based on anything, what cool-downs your raid has available, who you're healing with, what kind of strategy you're using. Everything is really dynamic now, so knowing how to do things on every fight is going to require a medium amount of trying out everything.

Edit: come on be reasonable people above, not every holy paladin is going to have the 4pc. Are everyone's expectations of general raiders, THAT high? Even without it you can still average 60k-70k healing, that's enough for a medium progression guild.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2012-11-13 at 12:08 PM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a good reason. When monks nerfs are live and they see more holy pallies topping the charts using the pvp 4set, it will get nerfed and all the people relaying so heavily on it will have to go back to pve gear and that healing style. Also it requires your other healers to change their play style to suit eternal flame blanketing.

I have 2 sets now. A pvp 4set set(2 pieces epic, 2 pieces blues) and a normal pve set. I haven't used the 4 set. I will this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    light of blind
    LOL!

One of the positive points of eternal flame blanketing, not having to hear your raid complain about that stupid animation+trinket bug.
    Last edited by Freia; 2012-11-13 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    Hi guys,
    In LFR I've seen holy pallys and there #1 or #2 top heal is Eternal Flame. I personally don't like spending HP for that.
    I rather spend it for LoD, and keep Sacred Shield up on the tank. Is it a matter of preference, or not? Noxxic recomends Sacred Shield.

Also, if you put Sacred Shield on a pally tank, does 2 apply (a lot of pally tanks already put that shield on themselves).

My guild is currently 3/6 normal 25 man and my top spells are:
    1. Illuminating Healing
    2. Light of Dawn
    3. Arcing Light
    4. Holy Shock
    5. Beacon of Light
    6. Holy Radiance
    7. Diving Light
    8. Sacred Shield
    9. Holy Light
    10. Flash of Light
    11. Daybreak
    12. Guardian of Ancients
    13. Word of Glory
    So on and So on....

*I edited to reflect boss fight on the second boss, not the whole raid (boss/trash )
    3/6? as of today the game has 16 bosses dude. 12 the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2012-11-13 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    ridonculous 4p pvp set, i hope it will be nerfed soon.

EF affects beacon and generate mastery shield, SS not. Play 4p set as long as you can, it is GLORIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahu View Post
    ridonculous 4p pvp set, i hope it will be nerfed soon.
    It surely has to be? It's pretty broken.

There's very few cases where EF gets more use than LoD in a 25 man raiding environment. EF is MUCH stronger relatively in 10 mans than 25 mans.

Can someone please summarize EF blanketing playstyle for those of us that haven't tried it yet and would like to learn the correct way to do this?

Is 458 Blue PvP gear sufficient to make it work? I already have 2-piece PvE set from Sha (yay!). PvP set still better?
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post

LOL!

One of the positive points of eternal flame blanketing, not having to hear your raid complain about that stupid animation+trinket bug.
    Playing blind means you're pro. You're helping train them! *snort*

Yeah I hope the relic animation is fixed in conjunction with LoD, it's a bit of a distraction.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.