10+ Year Old Account

Friend wants to custom build computer, need suggestions

So, my best friend has been in the Air Force for about 3 months now, and he's finished his basic training and is now stationed somewhere in Mississippi. He wants to get himself a custom built PC so that he can play the games that him and I used to play together on, like Splinter cell, Assassin's Creed, WoW, that stuff. And with Assassin's Creed 3 PC release right around the corner, he wants to get it soon so we can have some fun with that game when he gets spare time. His paycheck is somewhere around 400-600 a month and his next paycheck is due this Thursday, so does anyone have any suggestions to some fairly cheap parts that are decent enough to give him a good playing quality?
    Last edited by Holypowah; 2012-11-13 at 03:40 AM.

If his paycheck is 400-600 per month, how much of that is available for spending on non-essentials (i.e. a computer)? It just doesn't sound like a lot of money if you have to pay rent/mortgage and buy food. In other words, what is the most you want to spend?

Have a look at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

10+ Year Old Account
    Well most of his essentials are provided for him since hes working in the air force so its actually not that bad. Looking over the list you provided I think he might be safe going with either the lowest extreme budget gaming or the second lowest, but ill show him this list tomorrow and see what he thinks since he knows his budget more than me :P thanks for the help though, I only hope the items in the list aren't sold out.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    keep in mind that list isnt the be all end all, its a great starting point but prices change daily especially at this time of the year. your best bet would be to tell us his budget and we can figure out what the best pc would be as of today.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Well, judging by the ones he picked from the sample builds I would assume it's roughly $350-500.

Throw another 40~ at this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $528.95
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-13 08:42 EST-0500)

At this point for gaming builds Ill just opt into a 128 SSD if you can't budget a larger hard drive b4 you fill that thing you have too much free time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya, I'll let you know how he thinks about the list and tell you what his budget is, at the moment hes working from 6 to 6 in eastern pacific time.

Kinda semi off subject but E-1 starts about 1500 a month lol so I think he might mean he gets about 600 every 2 weeks. I'd tell him to wait a month n a half since he really should have no bills minus a cell and possibly a car payment and build something a little better. It would benefit more in the long run.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Holypowah View Post
    Ya, I'll let you know how he thinks about the list and tell you what his budget is, at the moment hes working from 6 to 6 in eastern pacific time.
    Uhhhh what? 6 am eastern to 6pm pacific? that adds a good 3 hours to your work day.