Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's still far less advertisements than TV. Hooray, piracy!

Err I mean boo, piracy! Go watch the shows on TV even though they no longer air or sell DVDs of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    I remember back in 2006 when I first saw a youtube video and I instantly fell in love. You could watch literally anything, instantly online. Then they slowly added advertisements which were understandable; their view base had dramatically increased and they needed to find a way to make some more profit. Then it got to the point where you had to watch a 30 second ad for a 15 second video, and now I'm getting picture ads below the video that starts playing monkey noises and music when I'm watching the video and you have to find the mute button on the ad. I really think that has gone way too far and really destroys the philosophy of youtube.
    http://clea.nr/

Get with the times, bud.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Honestly, its not just youtube. Just like 4-7 years ago, there was much less add's in general on the internet.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    http://clea.nr/

Get with the times, bud.
    AdBlock does it for all sites far easier.

Apparently 'getting with the times' is being overly complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    AdBlock does it for all sites far easier.

Apparently 'getting with the times' is being overly complex.
    Cleanr isn't just about adblock, it also streamlines everything and gets rid of clutter. It's pretty nice being able to tell Youtube that you really just frankly do not care what kind of stupid shit people are screaming at each other in the comments section, and please keep those completely unrelated "related videos" out of my face.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Cleanr isn't just about adblock, it also streamlines everything and gets rid of clutter. It's pretty nice being able to tell Youtube that you really just frankly do not care what kind of stupid shit people are screaming at each other in the comments section, and please keep those completely unrelated "related videos" out of my face.
    You can block those with Element Hiding Helper.

Deleted
    I actually stopped using AdBlock. It just feels kinda wrong to me to 'betray' a site that entertains me like youtube does. So I just let them run their little ads, I can spare the few seconds and if it gives me the feeling of supporting their cause, well then, so be it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanth View Post
    ^^THIS.

Honestly I got my full time Job to pay the bills. There was a time before youtube where people had to go to work physically. Like when I see some YouTubers, just 18 yrs old. Living of youtube while playing games. What in the world will they do once the whole youtube hype is gone?

*You want Fries with that?*.... (Just sayin)
    I'm sorry, but how fucking butthurt are you? Do you REALLY want to get into a pissing contest about who works harder for their paycheck? Live and let live.

If you don't want to watch ads, that's fine, I just hope you're not going to be crying when you may need to pay for content that's now free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezool View Post
    I'm sorry, but how fucking butthurt are you? Do you REALLY want to get into a pissing contest about who works harder for their paycheck? Live and let live.

If you don't want to watch ads, that's fine, I just hope you're not going to be crying when you may need to pay for content that's now free.
    I think part of the point was that Samanth doesn't really consider a lot of that content worth paying for, or even sitting through ads.

That's definitely how I feel about 90+% of the content on Youtube, as long as it's free and without ads I may find it moderately enjoyable but I'd never pay for it or suffer through ads to watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can block those with Element Hiding Helper.
    That's two addons to do the job of one

That's two addons to do the job of one
    Having to go through a third party site isn't an add-on.

Also, ABP+EHH very easily simplifies and website to your liking. Some people actually use the related videos thing.

I've also had ABP+EHH for several years. Pretty sure well before this thing you linked came out.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-11-13 at 09:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    I think part of the point was that Samanth doesn't really consider a lot of that content worth paying for, or even sitting through ads.

That's definitely how I feel about 90+% of the content on Youtube, as long as it's free and without ads I may find it moderately enjoyable but I'd never pay for it or suffer through ads to watch it.
    His point is sadly quite irrelevant when he present it in an arrogant manner and wants to turn the whole thing into a pissing contest.

A lot of the content on youtube is bad, but it is a required evil. Most people start out in a similar manner and if Youtube only accepted "approved" content, for example, many quality entertainers would never have had a fair shot at getting "published". Youtube is an easy way to reach a potential base of millions of people, with that there is bad stuff but there's also good stuff.

Now, I don't blame people for using Adblock, but if Ads can no longer cover revenue costs for a site such as youtube, you're going to be staring down the barrel of subscription deals in which you pay to access youtube. Hosting that service is far from free, and I do not think it is unreasonable to have ads to cover the costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having to go through a third party site isn't an add-on.

Also, ABP+EHH very easily simplifies and website to your liking. Some people actually use the related videos thing.

I've also had ABP+EHH for several years. Pretty sure well before this thing you linked came out.
    Bergtau the hipster, customizing websites before it was cool, huh? ;P

Deleted
    Does adblocker remove the ads you have to sit through before the video starts?

I would never use adblocker for the normal banner ads on websites. Too often I've found interesting things in there, as that it would bother me enough to block them.

Also, does adblocker really remove the value of the ads? Because I think it still loads and counts as a "view".

Bergtau the hipster, customizing websites before it was cool, huh? ;P
    Definitely that. Or it's just that a better way to do something already existed before clea.nr so I'm skeptical about clea.nr's usefulness and success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post

I would never use adblocker for the normal banner ads on websites. Too often I've found interesting things in there, as that it would bother me enough to block them.

Also, does adblocker really remove the value of the ads? Because I think it still loads and counts as a "view".
    It does. I believe you can even disable the video ads without disabling the banner ads. I personally disable banner ads for safety in browsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post

Yes on both counts afaik. Definitely yes to the first one - No more pre-play ads.
    As for the value, I believe it blocks us counting as a view of the ad so we do not support the sites we use ad block on. Which is why you should remove it for sites you like that don't use really obnoxious and annoying ads like youtube does, for example MMO-C

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Yes on both counts afaik. Definitely yes to the first one - No more pre-play ads.
    As for the value, I believe it blocks us counting as a view of the ad so we do not support the sites we use ad block on. Which is why you should remove it for sites you like that don't use really obnoxious and annoying ads like youtube does, for example MMO-C
    The day that I can trust a website to have safe ads is the day I disable adblock for it. That day will probably never come, especially considering how many thumbnails in signatures I've accidentally clicked.

Deleted
    I guess, I will give it a try. Already have proxytube and it works like a charm, because in my country a huge amount of videos are blocked...

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    There are thousand of ways to advertise in a non-intrusive, less-annoying way, when you choose to advertise your work/product with a flashy,huge,blinky,annoying ad then you deserve to be blocked.
    You do realise that they don't exactly choose the ads right ? And it's an actual job for a lot of people by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool View Post
    His point is sadly quite irrelevant when he present it in an arrogant manner and wants to turn the whole thing into a pissing contest.

A lot of the content on youtube is bad, but it is a required evil. Most people start out in a similar manner and if Youtube only accepted "approved" content, for example, many quality entertainers would never have had a fair shot at getting "published". Youtube is an easy way to reach a potential base of millions of people, with that there is bad stuff but there's also good stuff.

Now, I don't blame people for using Adblock, but if Ads can no longer cover revenue costs for a site such as youtube, you're going to be staring down the barrel of subscription deals in which you pay to access youtube. Hosting that service is far from free, and I do not think it is unreasonable to have ads to cover the costs.
    Christ, cant be more short sighted right. All i was saying that you cant depend your future on Youtube... But hey if you can prove me that you can live of youtube for 25 years, gratz.

Not trying to make a bloody pissing contest. In my eyes, I think even if you are successful, you should always have a backup.

And if youtube starts taking fees, what do you think how fast, a new site will be up for free where you can do the same as youtube, just for free? I dont see, where you are trying to get with this statement.