Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Blade lord Ta'yak: questions

Last night we went to Blade lord Ta’yak for the first time, and phase one is under control, but right now we just don’t seem to survive the swap to phase two.

From a personal point of view I think the damage intake while being transported to one side of the room, and the running/dodging whirls afterwards is a bit over the top, so I am trying to find ways to survive the run to the other side.
    We don’t have a warlock, so no healthstones available.

I have 388k HP fully buffed.

I start a full 5 CP recup right before the 20% mark, as you cannot cast it during the transportation.
    If we end up on the one side of the room, I am around 70% HP before I start to run.
    The healers cast a few heals, before we start to run.
    I activate Cloak of shadows during the run, and take a health pot. And I use sprint.
    I don’t get hit by the whirlwinds and I am one of the first to reach (almost) the other side.
    But I die when I am almost there, i.e I can almost poke Ta’yaks butt.

I am quite sure this run should be doable without taking the health pot, so I wonder what I am doing wrong.

The only thing I can still change is changing talents to Burst of speed (I have shadowstep currently)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not really a rogue specific answer but our group waits at each end and gives our healers a chance to get us up before leaving.

Deleted
    Don't start running before the whole raid is topped off.

Deleted
    So you sprint out of healer range and wonder why you die ? getting to the other side faster isnt going to do anything, you dont take any less damage there. You take exactly the same damage at all parts of phase 2 even in a whirlwind.
    Last edited by mmocc5d9fa5936; 2012-11-13 at 10:14 AM.

Use a stampeding roar or so to have your healers keep up better, and dont run ahead if you cant keep yourself alive. Healers have it hard enough keeping everyone alive while dodging tornadoes and trying to move up.

You can feint the damage too when CloS is off, personally I've been able to blow rocket boots, sprint and ShS to get there several minutes before healers and still not die, no need to use a health pot either.

10+ Year Old Account
    For both parts, elusive feints while running. It's a HUGE amount of damage to avoid at almost no cost. I wouldn't recommend BoS because you only need it once. Around 12%, hop in the slipstream, a movement CD if you have it, and run to the other end while dots/tanks finish off the last 2% and you'll be pre-prepped to push from 10% to 0. On a sidenote, outpacing your healers doesn't help, since you DO still take damage after you're safely behind the boss.

Deleted
    Is it possible your healers are low on mana near the end?

Aside from all the Rogue specific things, it took our group an hour orso to realize that blowing cooldowns in the first phase is much more beneficial compared to the last bit. Despite everyone's damage being higher later on and having executes, blow all your cooldowns and DPS pots in the first phase. The sooner you get that over with the easier that fight becomes. If healer mana isn't an issue then this doesn't really matter of course.

We had the same problem too, we solved with 1 healer on each side of the corridor and a shadow priest with tranquility (druid symbiosis) and vampiric helping heal before running for the second time.

20% - Raid on the left, boss on the right, 2 heals on the left healing the raid
    From 20% to 10% - Raid on the right, 1 heal and shadow priest healing, the second heal on the left, waiting for us resting a bit.
    10% - Raid run to the left again, the dangerous part is the middle but the healer on the left, not moving, heals as soon as possible.
    From 10% to 0% - Everyone on the left, 2 healers doing their job.

What we do is we have 2 shamans popping their healing totem as we get out of the tornados, then when we reach the boss I (Druid tank) pop my tranq along with 1 healers major healing (divine hymne, resto tranq etc) and our shadowpriest pops his halo and vampiric embrace, then when we reach the boss the second time we still have a healers cd for the last 10%.

To your question, I think it's a bit reckless running away from the healers. If they can't reach you, you die. And the boss won't run until reaching 10%, so no rush there

Deleted
    We blow heroism somewhere at the start (right after one of those devastating blow things, cannot recall the name)
    I didn't use feint.
    so best to spec into elusiveness and use feint if I get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Miyavi View Post
    So you sprint out of healer range and wonder why you die ? getting to the other side faster isnt going to do anything, you dont take any less damage there. You take exactly the same damage at all parts of phase 2 even in a whirlwind.
    The healers top us off (or close to it) before we run. As soon as we start running, they don't have any chance to cast a heal anyway.
    Further more, I never got to the other side alive, so I had no idea if the damage still ticks when reaching Ta'yak.
    (must have overlooked something I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Tente View Post
    We had the same problem too, we solved with 1 healer on each side of the corridor and a shadow priest with tranquility (druid symbiosis) and vampiric helping heal before running for the second time.

20% - Raid on the left, boss on the right, 2 heals on the left healing the raid
    From 20% to 10% - Raid on the right, 1 heal and shadow priest healing, the second heal on the left, waiting for us resting a bit.
    10% - Raid run to the left again, the dangerous part is the middle but the healer on the left, not moving, heals as soon as possible.
    From 10% to 0% - Everyone on the left, 2 healers doing their job.
    So if I get you right, you leave one player on the side where you start and only run with the other 9 people...
    Last edited by mmoc7f082fdd70; 2012-11-13 at 10:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    The healers top us off (or close to it) before we run. As soon as we start running, they don't have any chance to cast a heal anyway.
    Further more, I never got to the other side alive, so I had no idea if the damage still ticks when reaching Ta'yak.
    (must have overlooked something I guess)
    The damage doesnt change no matter where you are it increases the longer phase 2 goes on, so unless hes enraging going balls to the wall on movement speed, to get to the other side wont really do anything.

Deleted
    As soon as the healers stopped being bad, I.e. no longer got caught by the twisters and reached the boss in reasonable time, we downed the boss without any real issues. We generally died because the healers weren't capable of dealing with the damage, because they weren't used to the second phase yet.
    They simply need to get their act together, I'd say.

They should all look into which HOTs and instant heals they have/can place before people run off.
    Some healers have useful cooldowns they can make use of, specifically designed for movement-phases.
    Larger gaps between twisters leaves room for the healers to stop for a second and perform a cast, if necessary.
    Here's a special trick for the fight if you have a Resto Druid; Have the Resto Druid cast Symbiosis on a Shaman. This will give her the Spirit Walkers Grace ability, which allows her to cast abilities while moving, for 15 seconds. With the SWG buff up, the Druid can channel Tranquility WHILE moving, which is extremely powerful for the second phase!

To you, as a rogue, there's only one thing you can do. Spec into Elusiveness and maintain Feint 100% of the time you're running. You're not doing any damage, so you might as well spend the excess energy for some damage reduction instead. It'll keep you safe and alive, and allow your healers to put focus where it's more necessary.

Glyph Feint

Spec Elusiveness

Keep Feint up

Glyph Sprint

Use Sprint asap

Then take BOS and use that if you have enough energy between Feints.

You should be fine. Dont use your pot cd for a health pot unless you absolutely have to, but if you do then there are issues with your healers tbh.

Deleted
    Elusive Feint on CD goes without saying (not like you're using your energy for something else), as does 5 CP Recuperate when you're thrown off the tornado. Healthstones are awesome too.

Would advise against Burst of Speed, as Shadowstep is really good P1, and getting there faster only increases your risk of being out of range of heals. If your group is struggling with the transition, just run as a group using Furious Roar, Drums of Speed etc., and blow some cooldowns as soon as you reach the boss. You'll be fine.

Deleted
    I've seen some nice suggestions and will go and try them out of we reach Blade lord again.
    If there are some other suggestions, tactics and/or tips, please keep them coming.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    So if I get you right, you leave one player on the side where you start and only run with the other 9 people...
    Yes, we run 9

10+ Year Old Account
    Pop recuperate with whatever cp's you have left, elusive feint spammed as mentioned here 50x already, and sprint. (BoS is garbage stick with Shadowstep, helps a shit load when you get knock-back during P1 as well)

If you're still dying once you get there, join a new guild or recruit new healers imho.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

maybe the dps is too bad and he gets too many stacks till he reaches p2 , should not asume its only the healers mejt. as one would say, LAWYERED.

Use Feint. Even without Elusiveness talented, a 50% reduction is huge. I only use it while running because our healers are badasses, but you should help as long as you aren't butting up against enrage. Glyph it too so you can maintain it for less energy.

Recup is utterly worthless. I wouldn't bother wasting CPs on it.

Don't use a healing pot. The heal is fairly small and you miss out on your agi pot, which is a shitload of dps.

You shouldn't run ahead of your healers unless something like SWG+Tranq is going (huge range). Though, I think it's fine on normal. Just Feint should keep you alive unless you go into p2 with way too many Intensity stacks.

If you're still wiping, it's more than likely your healers' fault. Use a raid CD just before 20% so you'll be healthy once the tornadoes drop you off. Every healer has an instant heal they can use while running. You should be using raid CDs while running too. Once everyone makes it and can stand still, healing should be no problem even with high stacks.