Deleted

Exclamation Case Sensitive Passwords?

So i'm new to the forums, but i just wanted peoples opinions on this, you always hear about people getting hacked and such which i guess happens with any and all games...

...But what i want to know is, is after 8 years why blizzard still haven't implemented case sensitive passwords? o.o

As far as I know, there are case sensitive passwords. Mine is, If i don't type it correctly, I can't log :P
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Someone told me about this awhile back, long as your PW is typed correctly you can log in, case doesn't mean anything. I promptly told them they were full of shit and no way there would be a hole like that. Needless to say, I logged out and typed my PW in all lower cases and was shocked to see that I was able to log in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilesmagno View Post
    As far as I know, there are case sensitive passwords. Mine is, If i don't type it correctly, I can't log :P
    they are not case sensitive. made my life easier since that revelation

Passwords are unsafe anyways, authenticator ftw. I hate passwords that demand at least one uppercase tbh, very annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vixenizations View Post
    So i'm new to the forums, but i just wanted peoples opinions on this, you always hear about people getting hacked and such which i guess happens with any and all games...

...But what i want to know is, is after 8 years why blizzard still haven't implemented case sensitive passwords? o.o
    Because it makes very little difference. Hackers are not just brute forcing passwords - they are using stolen passwords from other sites and trying them on WoW or key loggers. Even if it was case sensitive, a hacker would just try different permutations of the stolen password. If the password is 8 characters long and all letters, they would have to 2^8 Different combinations. That isn't going to save the account if you use a similar password on other areas.
    Last edited by Pejo; 2012-11-13 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Trying to do permutations way too late at night

Oh shit. I just tried to log in to my WoW account without using the proper case sensitivity....

and it worked...

Deleted
    case sensitive passwords isnt the reason people get hacked, spyware/keyloggers are usually the cause. They would record you pass however it is

Deleted
    Case on an 8 digit password increases the number of variants to check by 256. Authenticators increase the number of variants by 100,000,000. WoW accounts don't tend to get brute forced, they get hacked through key logging or phishing - for which case sensitivity is going to do absolutely nothing,

It surprised me when I first heard about it, but when you put it into context, it doesn't really matter. It might stop 3 or 4 hackings total, but in exchange, it'd affect hundreds of people daily not realising they had capslock on, [This can be solved with other solutions, but... no real point changing it]

it'd affect hundreds of people daily not realising they had capslock on,
    If you use special characters in your password (you should) then having capslock on already screws the password up.

omg my life is a lie
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

For hackers it doesn't really matter if a user used his [SHIFT] or [CAPSLOCK] button to make uppercase characters in their passwords. It's just an extra keystroke for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Oh shit. I just tried to log in to my WoW account without using the proper case sensitivity....

and it worked...
    yeah, I always thought they were, but few months ago someone told me the truth - I was mind blowned.

Deleted
    Use the force!

Quote Originally Posted by vixenizations View Post

People are getting hacked because of keyloggers or willingly giving their account information to fake websites, not because of lack of case sensitive passwords. This still doesn't excuse Blizzard for not supporting case sensitive passwords though.

Passwords are incredibly safe, as long as you use unique ones for everything. Most people get their accounts compromised because they use the same password/email for forum and other gaming website accounts, and then go on claiming they were "hacked".

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow...I had to go try it for myself. >.<

Of course it worked and I never knew that. No point in even having that capital letter in my password now, eh? Man it's too early in the morning for revelations like this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Passwords are hardly ever brute-forced for anything Blizzard related. Which makes case sensitivity a mute point.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    I find it annoying that you have to use uppercase and numbers etc on so many places when its infact safer to just type somthing like this ieatmeateverydaybutnottoday than StormWind531 atleast in a bruteforce prespective