Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Affliction is too hard for me.

I find myself in a very unfavorable position, and I don't know what to do about it.

I run in a 25 man raid and about 10 of those people are my real life friends.
    The raid leader is not one of those friends, and does not intend to take me on any further raids if I do not switch to Affliction spec (I currently raid in Destro).
    I cannot play Affliction worth a damn.

15+ Year Old Account
    uhm what do you want out of this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    what do you find hard about it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Telemont View Post
    I find myself in a very unfavorable position, and I don't know what to do about it.

The raid leader is not one of those friends, and does not intend to take me on any further raids if I do not switch to Affliction spec (I currently raid in Destro).

Just learn it? Affliction is less complicated than destruction and offers a much higher rate of return.

Deleted
    Affliction is far and wide my favourite spec at the moment. Contrary to all other expansions, where destro has been my favourite.

A few need to knows on affliction:

* Dots snapshot stats when you apply (or reapply / refresh) (contrary to Doomguard and boss debuffs (Haunt, Elegon debuff stacks)).
    * Malefic Grasp / Drain Soul is an insane damage boost, this needs to be cast as soon as you can on a fully dotted target.
    * Haunt can put out heavy burst on low hp target. Combine this with drain soul to get your shards back by killing the target (provided that it gives soulshards).
    * Know when to store shards for heavy multidotting (like when you're going in the spirit realm on Garajal) and when to aim for 100% haunt uptime.
    * Never sit on 4 soul shards. A wasted soulshard is a wasted haunt.
    * Track Internal CDs on procs, this is vital for knowing when to redot and when to wait a bit.
    * Have a nice UI that supports easy multidotting. Nameplates with dots on them is the way to go.
    * Try AffDots if you're still confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Just learn it? Affliction is less complicated than destruction and offers a much higher rate of return.
    Imho destruction is the easiest spec since Shadowboltspec @ 70.

Why don't you want to be on the top dmg tables?

I am a menace to my own destiny.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have at least put in something about what you want to know or some kind of explanation of why you can't play affliction worth a damn, as it is now I don't see much worth discussing, and am in half a mind to close the thread.

OP, post something about your reasons or ask for advice about warlock specific things, or edit it in in the OP, or I will be closing this in a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    well at least there is a lot of information, guides, and helpful community on sites like noxxic, icyveins, and elitist jerks. mastering aff shouldn't be too tough with a bit of research

Deleted
    You play games to have fun and do your own thing, so go do it! Plus if they're your real life friends then you'll have them on your facebook or IM, so no matter what decision you make, you won't lose contact =D

I started playing a shadow priest this expansion. I never played dot classes before. I only did dps as elemental shaman and healed as resto shaman and tanked/dpsed on a few alts. I have to say that multi dotting is much harder than AoEing with other classes (the ones I have played with at least) if you want to do it right. But once you learn it it's much more fun. I finally did emperors on 25 man normal last week, it was quite hectic but a lot of fun and my dps was quite high.

Just learn it, it's really not that bad. After a few raids you will get the hang of it and it will be very rewarding.

Deleted
    Thanks for sharing =/

Learn to play the spec or don't.

I was in a simlar place, and I really enjoy Destro, but I just sucked it up and practiced Afflict in LFR. Even though you only get a crack at loot once per week, you can re-run LFR endlessly (and as a bonus you still get some valor for it). I wasn't forced to change, because my raid team is a bit more casual, but I knew afflict was stronger and wanted to maximize my impact to the team. Now that I'm used to it, I don't really miss Destro because it is just weaker at the moment.

Having a good add on to track your DoT's is key. Either "Tell Me When", or something else like that. Maximizing uptime on Haunt/MG with your other 3 DoT's rolling is big, so download something to help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    OP, post something about your reasons or ask for advice about warlock specific things, or edit it in in the OP, or I will be closing this in a bit.
    Oh, certainly! The reasons why Affliction is too hard for me is because I cannot keep track of all the DOT uptimes. I'm really bad at multitasking, and paying attention to all those uptimes means I cannot pay attention to the raid. At least with Destruction I only have to pay attention to Immolate.

I use classtimers but I still can't keep track of all the uptimes.
    Last edited by Telemont; 2012-11-13 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, certainly! The reasons why Affliction is too hard for me is because I cannot keep track of all the DOT uptimes. I'm really bad at multitasking, and paying attention to all those uptimes means I cannot pay attention to the raid. At least with Destruction I only have to pay attention to Immolate.

I use classtimers but I still can't keep track of all the uptimes.
    Well, explain to your raidleader that you have trouble with the timers of Affliction and that you can't efficiently play it. If he still insists then just do it, play to the best of your ability and see how it turns out. Affliction can be really good, so you might surprise yourself with the results.

If anything I'd get this addon: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...k-of-dot-power

Put it in a nicely visible spot and refresh dots everytime one lights up green or disappears completely. It won't make you a perfect Affliction player overnight, but it should at least help you with your dot problem, I think.

Well there are add ons that track the dots for you. Give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Just learn it? Affliction is less complicated than destruction ...
    Umm...yeah it does less damage but I don't see how Destro is more complicated; though yeah Aff is much easier than it has been in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    consider Destruction.
    It's totes ease...

Deleted
    Grubjuice, you didn't read the thread.
    that makes your comment deadly funny.

Hey, Telemont. I think you're making it harder than it needs to be. Affliction is a lot easier nowadays than it used to be. Here's some steps you can take to make it easier.

1.) Download something that will help you keep track of your DoTs. I use power auras to help me keep track of mine, however there are literally dozens of options. I suggest trying InlineAuras and Gnosis to start with, then expand to fit your playstyle.
    2.) Go and hit the dummies! Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
    3.) Remember; gemming correctly and enchanting properly is very, very important to min/maxing. You can find a list of the best gems to use at the icy-veins.com
    4.) If you can cast, be casting!!! Bind fel flame to an easy-to-access key so that you can smash it when you have to be mobile! Every second that you're not channeling Malefic Grasp is a HUGE DPS loss.
    5.) Remember, your dots do not update on the target when you get a proc, this means in order for your dots to benefit from the proc (or from DarkSoul!), you must re-apply the DoTs after something procs. It's not necessary to do it for EVERY proc(Like windsong), but if you have a Darkmoon trinket and it procs, tailoring cloak enchant, use trinket, etc. it's a good idea to reapply them then.
    6.) Affliction is as easy or easier to play than Demonology and Destruction. I think that you're just making it harder than it needs to be.

Just make sure that your raid leader understands, that Affliction is not the messiah of all warlock speccs and suffers it's own weaknesses.

Consider that every specc has it's strengths and weaknesses and make the best of the whole toolkit.
    Being forced to be Affliction for everything is nonsense, but neglecting Affliction for everything is nonsense too.