Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    put dots up, MG, don't let dots drop, use Dark Soul on CD.

After 2 weeks of raiding, come back for some real tips, or just read the sticky on affliction by Evrelia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Affliction is far and wide my favourite spec at the moment. Contrary to all other expansions, where destro has been my favourite.

A few need to knows on affliction:

* Dots snapshot stats when you apply (or reapply / refresh) (contrary to Doomguard and boss debuffs (Haunt, Elegon debuff stacks)).
    * Malefic Grasp / Drain Soul is an insane damage boost, this needs to be cast as soon as you can on a fully dotted target.
    * Haunt can put out heavy burst on low hp target. Combine this with drain soul to get your shards back by killing the target (provided that it gives soulshards).
    * Know when to store shards for heavy multidotting (like when you're going in the spirit realm on Garajal) and when to aim for 100% haunt uptime.
    * Never sit on 4 soul shards. A wasted soulshard is a wasted haunt.
    * Track Internal CDs on procs, this is vital for knowing when to redot and when to wait a bit.
    * Have a nice UI that supports easy multidotting. Nameplates with dots on them is the way to go.
    * Try AffDots if you're still confused.

Imho destruction is the easiest spec since Shadowboltspec @ 70.
    Affdots is amazingly useful for keeping track of your trinket/Windsong procs.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Deleted
    TBH a competently played char of theoretically inferior spec (Destro) is more useful for the raid than a terribly played char of theoretically better spec. Try the explain that to your RL. I'm guessing you're doing 25m normal modes, so really, unless you are ALSO very, very bad at playing Destro, you shouldn't be performing so badly that the whole raid suffers because of you. If I'm wrong and you're trying to do some real progress (which means heroics + at leat RF race) than just man up and learn to play all 3 specs already.

easyest way to convince affli suxx is invite an affliction lock
    spec demo or destru and beat him in dmg meter .. and post you leader "LOOK YOU SUCCKEEEERRR I'M THE MAAAN!"

i allways spec what i think is best for the boss (nhc whatever is best of the 2 specs i got with me to that time) and best for the job they give me
    elegon for example yeah affli is good there .. if you have to kill little ball of shit with 1 other guy you better respec destro

i don't mind beeing last in dmg meter as long as it helps the raid in the end... affli is easy and boring as hell .. reminds me way to mutch on shadowpriest cata .. just even worse since your dot's suck! 3 dots with 38% pvp dmg and it doesn't kill one without resilence .. pah

Ever thought about rolling a mage? They're much easier to play than Affliction and do just as much, if not better damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    Just make sure that your raid leader understands, that Affliction is not the messiah of all warlock speccs and suffers it's own weaknesses.

Consider that every specc has it's strengths and weaknesses and make the best of the whole toolkit.
    Being forced to be Affliction for everything is nonsense, but neglecting Affliction for everything is nonsense too.
    I tried explaining to my GM that affliction was going to end up on top regardless of the strengths and weaknesses of the spec. That people were going to cheese the encounter and get amazing parses regardless of the actual effectiveness of the spec.

The GM's response was that if that was true affliction wouldn't be the highest on WoL. >_>
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Telemont View Post
    Oh, certainly! The reasons why Affliction is too hard for me is because I cannot keep track of all the DOT uptimes. I'm really bad at multitasking, and paying attention to all those uptimes means I cannot pay attention to the raid. At least with Destruction I only have to pay attention to Immolate.

I use classtimers but I still can't keep track of all the uptimes.
    Set up neettoknow bars, how you could struggle after that is beyond me.

You have big bars with numbers.

Well duh, learn affliction. There is no such thing as a hard spec to play in wow. If something even takes effort to learn - GOOD. Be happy there is some complexity there to challenge you, most complaints about difficulty in-game is that it's too easy. I guarantee you if you can play one spec of warlock well, you can play them all well. You have already learned "how to play a warlock" - just go do affliction and stop being lazy... your reward is, before long the spec you like will swing back around in fotm.

It's not a very hard spec to learn to play, but like all specs it's a bit trickier to maximize in (considering the dots don't dynamically update etc). What I actually do to learn a spec is sit on a dummy for half an hour, and then join random bgs. I find nothing as effective to understand a spec as pvp. xD

I use Ellipsis, which is quite useful to track multidotting also for my dots - I use Weakauras to track my ICDs on trinkets and procs (which is useful in any spec anyway) as well as the procs themselves.

afflic is the easiest and demo is hard because you need to put 2 dots and not wasting hand of gu,controlling the purple bar also soul fire proc,i like the aoe too corruption 5 target hand of guru then transform into demon immolation aura+soul harvest

my grammar is bad my third speaks

twitch.tv/zinnin/c/1734041

I'll just leave this here..

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Elmi; 2012-11-13 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    It's not a very hard spec to learn to play, but like all specs it's a bit trickier to maximize in (considering the dots don't dynamically update etc). What I actually do to learn a spec is sit on a dummy for half an hour, and then join random bgs. I find nothing as effective to understand a spec as pvp. xD
    As someone who has just pretty much quit this class (as of a few minutes ago) and looking to re-roll in MOP...

1) It's a much easier spec to learn, that said it's probably harder to master now than any spec in Cataclysm (which is saying something, btw)

2) Sitting on a dummy does absolutely nothing, because to be honest the easiest (and most "over"-powered) aspect of the class, by far, is standstill "auto-turret" DPS. As others mentioned losing MG channels is really, really detrimental, unlike Cataclysm you can't just use Fel Flame and rely on DoTs alone. If you really wanted to improve, aside from analyzing logs my advice would be to either a) go into the LFR, and do the mechanics correctly (i.e. don't just stand outside the group for Spirit Kings), and/or b) move around a bit while hitting the dummy, at random intervals, and all of that. Mimic patterns you might have to move in for bosses (behind the boss, around the boss), and try keeping your DPS as high as possible that way.

3) BG's as affliction, unlike Cataclysm, is pretty much absolute garbage now that multidot has almost zero potential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbynator View Post
    afflic is the easiest and demo is hard because you need to put 2 dots and not wasting hand of gu,controlling the purple bar also soul fire proc,i like the aoe too corruption 5 target hand of guru then transform into demon immolation aura+soul harvest

my grammar is bad my third speaks
    demo is ridiculously easy as well, nothing hard about it, saying affliction is easier than demo is like an ambidextrous(a person that can use each hand or feet equally well) person saying its harder to pee using your left hand rather than your right hand, it makes no sense at all and it wasnt what the poster asked about.

i would have to say that ive not found an addon for affliction as good as affdots, in general affliction is a straight forward spec, you put up dots and you use malefic grasp. you keep agony up for 100% uptime or as close as you can and then just refresh unstable affliction and corruption. what makes affdots so crazy good for affliction and prolly better in your case, since you said you're not that good at multitasking, is it tracks your procs and you can easily figure out when it is the most beneficial to refresh your dots which is amazing and it also functions as a dottimer and from what ive read(not used it for this myself) it has excellent multidot support keeping track of your dots on each target too, so i think this addon will help you a lot. I would have to agree with voidspark, well sort of atleast. i think you should use a dummy to get the fundamentals down for the spec and then use lfr to get to learn the small quirks about the spec, it will help you a lot and errors wont be as punishing as in normal 25 mans.

If the raid leader is really wanting you to just do more dps, why don't you try Demo? I played Destro all of Cata and switched to Aff in MoP with not many issues, but I think a balance of complexity of spec and more dmg would be Demo. Then ease your way into Aff by making that an OS and playing with it here and there. It's similar because you have to multidot but with one of your dots lasting a minute it's much easier than Aff. The burn phase is really simple because you pop meta and spam Touch of Chaos.
    Last edited by kenshinag; 2012-11-14 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    If the raid leader is really wanting you to just do more dps, why don't you try Demo? I played Destro all of Cata and switched to Aff in MoP with not many issues, but I think a balance of complexity of spec and more dmg would be Demo. Then ease your way into Aff by making that an OS and playing with it here and there. It's similar because you have to multidot but with one of your dots lasting a minute it's much easier than Aff. The burn phase is really simple because you pop meta and spam Touch of Chaos.
    Demo is also probably a more encounter-friendly spec (more movement allowed, better handling of "stop" and "go" phases, more "on demand" damage) which is why you can see many warlocks playing Demo on high-ranking PoV's even though affliction sims the best on "auto-turret" single-target damage. To be honest, if I had continued on this warlock I would probably be playing a lot more demo now for encounters.

So I downloaded AffDots and I've been trying to play Affliction for a couple of weeks now and I'm still absolutely terrible at it. I have to learn to play it better because it's 2nd Highest DPS in general and my raid needs that, but I can't seem to do what other people can do.

You have to watch your DOTs like a hawk, putting all your attention into those countdowns which means you completely neglect the raid environment. Seriously, how do you pay attention to your countdowns but still look around at what is going on?

You have to watch your DOTs like a hawk, putting all your attention into those countdowns which means you completely neglect the raid environment. Seriously, how do you pay attention to your countdowns but still look around at what is going on?
    How is that different from a tank who has to watch his health/AM like a hawk, or a healer who has to watch the raid/tanks like a hawk... or, for that matter, any other DPS who have to watch procs/debuffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    ever tried tidyplates? everything else is just a learning curve, i usually have to try a new boss 3-5 times befor i can work on my rotation and crawl my way up to dmgdone #1
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account

Practice, practice, practice...stand in front of a target dummy and exercise your priority for 20minutes at a time, following the instructions in the sticky. After you can execute the priority without thinking, the rest will be easier.
    So we can help you further, I'd advice you, to log your raids (it's easy to do) and ask for specific help in the [Help Me!] The "Fix My DPS" Thread.

So I downloaded AffDots and I've been trying to play Affliction for a couple of weeks now and I'm still absolutely terrible at it. I have to learn to play it better because it's 2nd Highest DPS in general and my raid needs that, but I can't seem to do what other people can do.

You do not have to watch your dots like a hawk. You put them somewhere you can see them easily, and you take a quick glance or use your peripheral. If he can keep track of immolate, he can keep track of 3 other dots. Did you play a lock pre MoP? Because if you did, you can play affliction.

Wow raiding is not fast paced. Even in life or death moments. If you can't track your dots and have raid awareness, how will you be an asset to the guild? Will you be able to kite pheramones if the GM needs you to and still dps the boss? Pure classes should be able to master all of their specs. Because some specs are going to be superior for certain encounters, and you should be able to switch.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2012-12-05 at 07:38 AM.