10+ Year Old Account

7850 underperforming?

Hi guys! I need help with my new computer's performance issues. I will try to give you information as best as i could.

I used to play Battlefield 3 and Skyrim on my old computer with no problems at highest settings. It was an intel quad core processor (middle one, not the top or bot model, cant remember the name) with 8 gbs of ram (at ddr2 800 mhz), 1 tb hdd, asus mb and msi hd 6870 cyclone power edition graphics card.

My new comp is: intel i5 3570 cpu (new series), asus p8z77-v lx motherboard, 8 gbs of ram corsair (ddr3 1600 mhz), coolermaster 700w psu and xfx 2gb 256 bit 7850 graphics card. I have 1 tb of hdd (same model with my older pc, but a fresh one). I have installed windows 7 64 bit sp 1 fully updated, ati catalyst 12.10 (latest as the site suggests). I have fresh installed bf3 and skyrim. I get low fps in skyrim, choppy while turning my mouse around or spells are cast. In bf3, i have lower quality and still get low fps. I used to play both smoothly at the same video settings back at my old rig.

I also encounter some problems with Sleeping Dogs. While i am in menu or loading screen, i can clearly see some horizontal beams darkening, from one side of the monitor to the other. They tend to be visible most of the time in game too, but much vaguer. Beams also happen to be at the mid of the screen, not close to top or bot. I will try to provide you with a screen shot if i can get that later. I dont have those glitches in any other games.

Temperature of the grp card is around 55 c degree at the most tense moments of BF3. That seems fine.

So what do you think? Graphics card fail? Defunct? Driver fail? Or is something wrong with windows or anything else? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Try an older driver revision and or the beta drivers. If that does not fix it then your looking at some other possible problem including damaged or such graphics card.

I would also double check and make sure that your onboard video isn't trying to take over. It is rubbish for most gamers, and would give the performance that you are talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Wow thanks chaud it worked like a charm! I will elaborate further as soon as i finish my tests.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 10:23 PM ----------

Ok after some testing with games, i can tell you that performance is much better, but i still have some problems.

I have graphical glitches in Skyrim, BF3 and still with Sleeping Dogs, but latter reduced. Any more advice?