Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I love it when you compare WoW to GW2...

Every game has its advantages and its disadvantages. Most of the things you're crying about have to do with graphics and "WAAAH I DONT WANNA LOOK AT THESE PIXELS" nonsense.

If you think WoW is so dated then go ahead and play Rift or GW2... enjoy not having a real end-game and horrible class balance and little to no content updates on what is otherwise a wow clone (Rift). But at least you'll have the graphics you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    you want all 5 AND F2P? Seriously? then check back in um... 20 years... I cant see Blizzard investing all that money to give you all of that AND then just say, sure... screw it... throw in F2P too... why would they want to throw away millions and millions of dollars?

Seriously if thats your ultimatum to Blizzard I'm certain of their response... and it wont be one you like.
    Wanna bet they wouldn't do something like that if they lost loads of subscriptions? WoW is very addictive, most people shy away now because of the time consumption playing takes, which i think ws why for cataclysm a lot of the content was watered down, they tried to make you get everything without playing much, but without hooks, people started leaving in droves. I've got everything now, why play? Look at Rivella's response.

Not going into addiction and lecture mode about being careful about what you hold as your highest affection, I would say this, people look for things to worship, trying to fill the emptiness inside only God can ever fill, so naturally without Him, they fall back onto some very good man made things. In olden days it would be beautiful statues or structures, these days it's more likely to be a movie star, pop star, or sports game like football or Bball, or something like world of warcraft, Blizzard is a business at the end of the day, not sure whether it's makers worship their creation like a lot of players tend to do, i don't think they do, but if you stopped playing, they would want to find out exactly why and fix that. if they fail too and subscriptions do continue to plummet, they will change the pricing model. Many people who quit, might be tempted to come back if they didn't have to pay for it. And once they did, if they haven't found something or someone else they are more in love with or desperately in love with, the game will claw back their affection, and chances are they won't quit. Would wow be sustainable on F2Play? Not for 10 million subscribers, no, but then I think they'd have a subscription deal, that gives you extended access, for paying.

it might mean they'd have to work more to earn your $15 a month aye, not just raids coming out, but instead, you get updated other zones, phased storylines, and access to more stuff. I once asked if people would pay extra to use updated race models and features like an animation studio, high end animation updates and graphics, and extra game features like obstacle course races, mount racing etc all as part of a packaged deal. I would imagine people would, but as long as 10 million of you keep paying,, and the competition is no where in sight, I see little motivation for blizzard to really aggressively update to enhance this product, just churn out the same level of improvement every 1.5 to 2 years and well people will keep coming back for more. Maybe tha'ts why Titan hasn't been announced yet, wow is still doing far too well, why throw competition to yourself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    interesting point, in teh sense that viewing what the competition is , you coudl argue from the game end game perspective, that by offering less content at the end for the same subscription price, it would be viewed as untenable - certainly while wow was around.

Hard to judge, but obviously the loss of subscription has answered that question, but was it more because of the fact? or more because of the negative publicity generated by the brats?

What exactly were we paying that subscription fee for? for the really engaging storyline and gameplay which tbh, for the first 50 levels was pretty darn impressive. Or was it for the end game content? . I think to maintain a game on a string of servers as they had at release and facilitate the expected playerbase at that time, there price model was not disparaging or unfair when compared to world of warcraft. You had a better animated game, a cineamtic master piece, for the same number of levels and for the opening entry you had far more than wow, not to mention better graphics etc.

PErsonally I think it is better than wow in many ways, but it obviously hasn't worked. I don't know if it could have been better, they could have charged less for the subscription fee since they did not have as much content, that would have worked. Offer varying degrees of subscription. I can say this in hindsight though. .

They should probably do that you know. Free to play to level 50, $7.49 or £4.49 gives you full access to all content, then charge you your $14.99/£8.99 for a platinum service for the addicted giving you some serious game perks. It is probably the only realistic way to compete with wow, focus on building a bigger subscriber base, even if they have to pay less, you get more playing, and then in time when you've released more content and an expansion or 2, you can climb it up based on your subscriber base.
    I think sw:tor failed due to lack of end game content and not being ironed out. However I do think the brats may have had some part in it :P
    Problem is people want reward for no effort and sw:tor was just that.
    I will admit Star wars was very fun experience to level a character, the story was well explained with cut scenes. The choices were too black and white, and the quests were also generic. Overall i think if they managed to get a decent end game sorted before launch they wouldn't have needed to go free to play.

I stayed subbed because i have more money than sense, I'll admit. I will likely play again to level another character now I've forgotten the planetary story lines, since it did let me experience a nice story :P

To be honest WoW is at the point were it is getting better, slowly enough to stay on top. With these new mmo's popping up everywhere, (look at elder scrolls online it looks like an awesome combo of guild wars and and elder scrolls single player) WoW will be pressured into developing more content with the same level of quality faster. They definitely know about the problem with last raids lasting too long, that's when their subscriptions drop :P

There is a problem with the sub style you suggest, that's basically it becomes pay to win, and if it isn't then whats the point in it. With an equal sub we all have the same opportunity (republican values much). I do feel that they should make at least up to level 60 for free, since thats all the new (old) zones, and lets you get a good feel for the game.

it might mean they'd have to work more to earn your $15 a month aye, not just raids coming out, but instead, you get updated other zones, phased storylines, and access to more stuff. I once asked if people would pay extra to use updated race models and features like an animation studio, high end animation updates and graphics, and extra game features like obstacle course races, mount racing etc all as part of a packaged deal. I would imagine people would, but as long as 10 million of you keep paying,, and the competition is no where in sight, I see little motivation for blizzard to really aggressively update to enhance this product, just churn out the same level of improvement every 1.5 to 2 years and well people will keep coming back for more. Maybe tha'ts why Titan hasn't been announced yet, wow is still doing far too well, why throw competition to yourself?
    I like your small ideas like new models and races, new animations. But, and this is big, i don't agree on charging anymore than a base sub for the original content.
    Titan won't be announced until its a year or so till finish, at least that seems to be the way blizz does things. Titan is suspected to be an mmofps so not really going to steal the WoW player type, and to be honest they aren't going to not release it because of possibly loss of WoW subs. I think it's more likely they would release it since if they had two big games on the market, it's even harder for new games to come out. But business practice is kinda off topic XD
    Last edited by mmocae8a1940ff; 2012-11-13 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Yeh the Lore has been very nicely done in MoP, there is alot more to it, and alot more to find out, They are working on character models, but it's just not as important as leading the game into the future with content and all the other things they add, Pretty much all of my characters are Nelfs, because i love that Race, i would love it if they redid them, but it's nothing i've ever considering i needed
    really good response, i may just check out a bit more of Mists on my friends account, after playing the beta, which didn't really impress me much, I did consolidate a shift of focus in my life that left little time for wow, and displaced it as my prime affection unequivocably. I still like it, as is clear (i won't be posting if i didn't, and certainly not about this). Which means I didn't really try Mists out properly, and it is responses like this that makes me wonder if i'm missing out and do tempt me to consider giving it another shot despite no new models yet. Nelves are my fave race too, having extensively obsessed about wow and them in the past too, so your response is really spot on for me.

But I think when it comes to wow I shall be very wary, it was a comfort in a dark time, but not a very helpful one for moving things along, and because I was so into it, i shall be very wary of delving into it or games like it (SWTOR and GW2 namely) again. Alcoholics really shouldn't be going back to bars ever they say, that's not to say that we shouldn't have bars, but once a thing has become a problem...if you can do without it it's probably good sense to do so. Can't really say the same for food, if you had an eating disorder, you really can't stay away from food, and if you had a sex addiction with multiple partners and were married, i won't say stay away from sex with your spouse in case it got you tempted to run into someone else's bed and hurt em all over again. I would say though that each person must measure up for himself his situation and judge careful. I enjoy games, perhaps now is not the best time to return to wow, need to really get into my new skin properly first, and then when there is no chance of ever over doing like i did it before because i'm firmly and securely rooted in my new life, I can now as a hobby try it again.

Maybe by that time, new models would be out, i'd have 2 expansions to catch up on, and it would be just like playing a brand new game again.
    Last edited by Mace; 2012-11-13 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    Man i will miss you in-game, you was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah337 View Post
    I love it when you compare WoW to GW2...

Every game has its advantages and its disadvantages. Most of the things you're crying about have to do with graphics and "WAAAH I DONT WANNA LOOK AT THESE PIXELS" nonsense.

If you think WoW is so dated then go ahead and play Rift or GW2... enjoy not having a real end-game and horrible class balance and little to no content updates on what is otherwise a wow clone (Rift). But at least you'll have the graphics you want.
    I play wow, rift and gw2 and I find them all to be completely different games. Don't be a wow fanboy and hate on other games. Both rift and gw2 provide all sorts of interesting things that wow doesn't. Rift a wow clone? How come in wow I can't talk to the opposing faction? Where are the public quests (rifts)? Also Rift has been full of content updates, much quicker then wow has been over the past few years, so it would seem you don't know what you're talking about. I like wow as much as the next game but man you people who worship the ground this game walks on like a 12 year old girl worshiping justin beiber are just sorry. Flat out sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanna bet they wouldn't do something like that if they lost loads of subscriptions?
    I dont have to 'bet'... Blizzard has millions of players still, there is absolutely no fucking reason for them to consider F2P.

They've earned my 15$ a month... in fact... they've earned my 45$ a month (3 accounts). While there are things I'd change. I'm happy with the product, have been happy with the product for YEARS, and I dont forsee that changing anytime soon.

5.1 is right around the corner and 5.0 just is barely on our computers. That kind of development needs money, and going F2P would stifle game development, not enhance it... and if you wanted all the things on your list, that also requires development money. And given that you've left already, your demands don't need to be met, and we can all go back to Wow and enjoy ourselves.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2012-11-13 at 04:41 PM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    The list of stuff you want is bordering on ridiculous. Best bet? Speak with your wallet and quit. Not likely Blizzard will bow down and give in, but you can try.

Since this has mostly become a WoW vs GW2 thread, and we don't allow game vs game threads here, I'm going to close it.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-11-13 at 04:55 PM.