Poll: Can Men and Women be "Just Friends"?

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    You think you know so much about women, yet you know so little. Go get some real experience please.

I've met my male friends naturally, there's been NO hidden agenda behind it and I have not chosen guys that I think are unattractive...on the contrary, I think they all look good and that's only enhanced by the fact that I love them and think they're awesome people. We've been friends for going on 7 years now. They have girlfriends, I've had boyfriends, we've always been tight. I've never lead them on or asked them for protection (I can protect myself very well) nor have they tried getting into my pants.

Sheesh...do some guys really still know so little about women in this day and age? So many wrongful assumptions, conclusions, generalizations...pah. Humans all have different personalities, regardless of gender. Period.
    You think you know so much about men and yet you know so little.

I'd bet at least half your guy friends would turn you inside out if the opportunity arose. If you're attractive. You could be Ruth Bader Ginsberg for all I know.

You think you know so much about women, yet you know so little. Go get some real experience please.

I've met my male friends naturally, there's been NO hidden agenda behind it and I have not chosen guys that I think are unattractive...on the contrary, I think they all look good and that's only enhanced by the fact that I love them and think they're awesome people. We've been friends for going on 7 years now. They have girlfriends, I've had boyfriends, we've always been tight. I've never lead them on or asked them for protection (I can protect myself very well) nor have they tried getting into my pants.
    Are your male friends sexually attracted to you?

I guess that made sense to you in some way, but to me it sure didn't. And it's not a shitty attitude, it's a reaction to people trying to turn completely situational and personal matters into pure facts for every single example in this world. It's not valid because it's WRONG, I myself am a living proof of this. It's a heap of assumptions and theories, nothing else, to say that a woman will only befriend a man due to some hidden agenda or only if he's "unattractive" to her.
    That's not what I asked.

If a guy friend of yours wanted to have sex with you, why does that make him a creep? What makes his side of the relationship less valid? If he makes his intentions known, that is.

Sheesh...do some guys really still know so little about women in this day and age?
    In short, yes. Men who are sexually inexperienced, insecure, or any number of other factors aren't really able to just meet a woman and regard her as (gasp) a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Men and women can be friends though more often than not for some retaining a platonic relationship is hard. Personally I've had many platonic male friends that never had any underlying tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    In short, yes. Men who are sexually inexperienced, insecure, or any number of other factors aren't really able to just meet a woman and regard her as (gasp) a person.
    Are you insinuating I don't view women as people?

Quote Originally Posted by adrii021 View Post
    Your english make my eyes bleed

Are you using babelfish or something? It´s really hard to understand what you are talking about.

Your sentence structure is so bad....
    His post is entirely coherent. I really don't know what you're driving at.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I didn't refer to anyone explicitly. I'd say that men who aren't able to view attractive women as anything other than sexual objects aren't really viewing them as people though.

well, you said yourself you won't be friends with them if they don't want to have sex with you -_-
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Remember when I talked about the friend whom I've had for many years? That's exactly what happened. I asked her out in my first year of college. We were both single at the time, and she continued to be single for a couple years past that. I remember it pretty clearly, we were walking along doing a nightly stroll to talk about the shit we were putting up with and whatnot, and she told me pretty flatout that she didn't want a relationship with me. I admit I was dejected for like, a week.

And then I got over it, and now we're still awesome friends.
    Couldnt you just sum all your answers into one phrase? "Men and women cant be just friends" you just proved it...jesus christ you write whole newspapers of answers
    with bullshit all over em and you admit you couldnt just be friends with here from the start.....jesus christ you are either really dumb or you dont understand english that well.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-14 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    well, you said yourself you won't be friends with them if they don't want to have sex with you -_-
    Yeah I said that. I also won't be friends with religious people, people who think Bill Maher or Glenn Beck are smart, people who do things "Ironically" or people who pretend to know what "Kafka-esque" means.

That doesn't mean I don't view them as people.

You seem to be putting women who won't have sex with you on the same level as fans of glenn beck.

Quote Originally Posted by adrii021 View Post
    Couldnt you just sum all your answers into one phrase? "Men and women cant be just friends" you just proved it...jesus christ you write whole newspapers of answers
    with bullshit all over em and you admit you couldnt just be friends with here from the start.....jesus christ you are either really dumb or you dont understand english that well.
    The underlined part amused me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You seem to be putting women who won't have sex with you on the same level as fans of glenn beck.
    No, fans of Glenn Beck and Bill Maher I will go out of my way to avoid.

The "women who won't have sex with me" category is simply in an area where I won't go out of my way to hang out with them. If they're at a party, whatever. If they're not, whatever.

I will pretend to have forgotten who someone is if they're a Bill Maher fan though.

Yeah I said that. I also won't be friends with religious people, people who think Bill Maher or Glenn Beck are smart, people who do things "Ironically" or people who pretend to know what "Kafka-esque" means.

Perhaps the difference is that when I say "treat them like people", I'm operating under the idea that all people should be treated basically the same, even if they don't share my religious beliefs, television viewing habits, or linguistic patterns.

You think you know so much about men and yet you know so little.

I'd bet at least half your guy friends would turn you inside out if the opportunity arose. If you're attractive. You could be Ruth Bader Ginsberg for all I know.
    Haha, you would think so, but your try at a cheap little "right back atcha!"- there basically says that I know nothing of men, so therefor men are the opposite of what I know about them...namely that they are humans, everyone with different personalities, wishes, dreams, opinions and goals in whatever they do. Every man I meet is a blank slate, not someone I can use for protection, who's ugly enough to befriend or someone I should assume will want a tour in my pants eventually.

As for my friends ravaging me if given the chance...no, they wouldn't. They're intelligent human beings, not shells of instinct and lust. It's about as disgusting as claiming that my brothers would do it to me if given a chance and...I do believe I know my friends better than some random person on a forum wanting to hold on to his theories at any cost.

And as for the creep part, note that I didn't write "finds his female friend attractive", I wrote about a man thinking about his female friend in a sexual way all the time. Not a man finding his ladyfriend attractive, not a friend starting to have feelings on another level.

Do my friends find me attractive? You'll have to ask them because I sure don't put any thought into that area.Though I have yet to see men running in the opposite direction when I come walking.

PS. Ruth Bader Ginsburg might not be a top model, but I'd gladly be like her.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-11-14 at 05:03 AM.

Oh and I should probably put fans of Rachel Maddow on that list too.

I can't stand her.

It's completely true.

Men and women CAN be friends, the man is probably still thinking of the woman as more though, even if he never acts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    I'm a married woman and I consider many of my husband's (male) friends to be my friends, as well. They are as likely to call me as to call him, and we even hang out independently of my husband if he's not feeling sociable (for example, he's staying home and WoWing :P). I highly doubt they're looking to bang (although they may have been before we got together, they're certainly not now). This may be different from two singles who are friends, but it's still men and women being just friends.
    As an experiment, create a situation in which you can offer them an affair with good reason to believe your husband would never know, and see how many take you up on it. My prediction: you will be surprised and experience loss of faith in the human race!

A man may be aware of your unavailability and nevertheless see you in a sexual light. Which we tend to do if you have two X chromosomes and no visible genetic defects :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

so basically, you think women are the lowest of the low to be lumped in with all the other things you automatically hate, but you'll think about being friends with them if they will have sex with you? how nice...

i think its pretty clear by now why your opinion of "men and women can't be friends" is so radically different than most other male posters on this board.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    Sheesh...do some guys really still know so little about women in this day and age? So many wrongful assumptions, conclusions, generalizations...pah. Humans all have different personalities, regardless of gender. Period.
    Women are such mysterious creatures...

No, they wouldn't. They're intelligent human beings, not shells of instinct and lust. It's about as disgusting as claiming that my brothers would do it to me if given a chance and...I do believe I know my friends better than some random person on a forum wanting to hold on to his theories at any cost.
    And as for the creep part, note that I didn't write "finds his female friend attractive", I wrote about a man thinking about his female friend in a sexual way all the time. Not a man finding his ladyfriend attractive, not a friend starting to have feelings on another level.
    Do my friends find me attractive? You'll have to ask them because I sure don't put any thought into that area.Though I have yet to see men running in the opposite direction when I come walking.
    PS. Ruth Bader Ginsburg might not be a top model, but I'd gladly be like her.
    I would say it is more likely that you are being naive.