Poll: Can Men and Women be "Just Friends"?

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I dont know. For me there is always that different layer of context when dealing with a woman. Doesnt matter if she is attractive or not, doesnt matter if we want to "just be friends" or not. Friendly relationship with a woman is never as straightforward as with the guy. So I guess perhaps you can "just be friends" with a girl, but that is a different kind of "friend" when compared to guy-guy relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The divorce rate would also be lower if people: 1) Didn't rush into marriage and 2) Didn't marry until they are mature.
    divorce rate for people who get married after 50 is higher than the national average for everyone

when the baby boomers are all dead (they didn't divorce) it will be closer to 75%

if you find someone you like to do everything with but fuck and you still like to fuck them, you are a winner. usually it's one or the other because we're force-fed "sex ruins friendships"

a relationship is a friendship without sex or it fails too

Some of my best friends are chicks. Why? Because they're funny fucking people, not because I want to make sexy time with them. My one friend puts most of my guy friends to shame with her crass, raunchy humour. It's like we're assholemates.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

Do you enjoy hearing about their problems with their boyfriends or guys they're interested in? God knows that's one of the last things I want to hear out of the mouth of a female friend.
    My god that's that worst.

"Where will I ever find that nice guy!?!? Boo hoo" *she says to her best guy friend

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    I dont know. For me there is always that different layer of context when dealing with a woman. Doesnt matter if she is attractive or not, doesnt matter if we want to "just be friends" or not. Friendly relationship with a woman is never as straightforward as with the guy. So I guess perhaps you can "just be friends" with a girl, but that is a different kind of "friend" when compared to guy-guy relationship.
    Pretty much this, it can happen but it won't be easy. Then again, where's the fun in having everything good given to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    My god that's that worst.

"Where will I ever find that nice guy!?!? Boo hoo" *she says to her best guy friend
    you just say "I'm right here!"
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, it counts, because you probably don't find your cousin attractive, because ick.
    True, that would've been awkward if i had feelings for my cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Wow. That makes so many women look so naive. Can't say it's not totally inaccurate...

It's funny seeing all the women coming to the realization but most of the men know it right off the bat.
    Many of them openly admit they thought that, at least at one point, their male friends were attracted to them. What's incredibly naive is that they think we can turn it off.

I can't speak for all men, but once my asshole brain has decided a woman is attractive, it takes quite a lot for me to change my mind about whether or not I'd have sex with her. Honestly short of being a felon, I'd say she'd have to be one of those weirdos who was into pegging or poop-play before I wouldn't hit it.

I have at least one friend who I find very physically attractive but would absolutely under no circumstances get with them at this time. She's been living with me for the past month, and is a recovering heroin addict. If we weren't friends, I don't think I'd be offering her a place to stay. If she came onto me, I would absolutely refuse. She's in no state of mind to be getting with anyone, and I am thoroughly unattracted to junkies.

I've known her for a pretty long time, mind you. She's like a sister to me. Poor thing even talks to me sometimes about her own "maybe someday" type thoughts, and it means nothing to me. She had her chance, she blew it.

i think this is one of those things where it's totally different for guys and girls

i don't know since i've never been a girl. to straight guys, you're either so fucking ugly you're just a friend (you know if you're that ugly) or you're fuckable to him and he's thought about it.

i personally believe women just refuse to accept it though.

like in that video, men will have those feelings for girls friends/best-friend/sister/cousin/whatever if they are hot

but that doesn't mean they can't be friends -_-
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Many of them openly admit they thought that, at least at one point, their male friends were attracted to them. What's incredibly naive is that they think we can turn it off.
    What's incredibly naive is the fact people think that many = all.

Oh look, another FusedMass thread.

Title: Some blanket statement phrased as fact.
    Poll: Some meaningless poll with question phrased to vaguely influence answers towards predisposed cnnclusion
    Body: Terrible summation of some random article found on reddit, with quotes taken out of context in an attempt to predispose people who don't read the actual article

I mean, really. Every thread is the exact same.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-13 at 08:03 PM.

I'm not going to argue the basic premise that men have occasional sexual thoughts about female friends. I know that women have similar thoughts, though we likely have them less often because sex and emotion are more closely tied together for us. Instead, I'm going to go for the "Why does it matter?" angle.

Is a male friend of mine any less a friend because at some point the thought of sleeping with me crossed his mind? Is he suddenly going to act differently, try to hit on me, or become jealous of my boyfriend? I think that's ridiculous. Our brains are wired to evaluate members of whichever gender we find attractive as potential mates. It happens. That doesn't mean we'd ever act on it, or that it makes a friendship any less platonic. I don't understand why this article (and so many posters in this thread) somehow invalidate the friendship that exists between two people just because maybe, someday, if perfect-but-will-never-actually-happen circumstances came up, they might bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    you just say "I'm right here!"
    Where's that damn facebook article when I need it...

http://www.oddee.com/item_98184.aspx

Here we go. It's not the exact one, but close enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can... just depends on both parties to stay strong and not screw each other over. "I don't want to be friends with you anymore."
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    And for the record, there's the ladder theory, which you can find here http://www.laddertheory.com/ . It applies to me, and maybe to other men too. I find that interesting, hope some of you get some answers out of that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sexual attraction has very little to do with friendship. One can be attracted to a complete stranger..
    So the question on whether men and women can just be friends is a definite yes, and either one of them attracted to the other is a rather moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    I'm a married woman and I consider many of my husband's (male) friends to be my friends, as well. They are as likely to call me as to call him, and we even hang out independently of my husband if he's not feeling sociable (for example, he's staying home and WoWing :P). I highly doubt they're looking to bang (although they may have been before we got together, they're certainly not now). This may be different from two singles who are friends, but it's still men and women being just friends.
    Sorry to be the one to tell you this but, they want to bang you, rest assured.

They won't say shit though, it will depend on your conduct, if you are fairly attractive and insinuate to them they WILL bang you....provided that ur story is true and that ur a pleasent company to them (otherwise they wouldnt hang with you without ur husband anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    Adult Men and Women can easily be friends.

High school and college kids? Thats another story. You have to be mature before you can do something like that.