Poll: Can Men and Women be "Just Friends"?

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Question, did you grow up with these friends?
    it depends on when growing up started, I think I met the last of them at around 16-17, some of them as early as a newborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No. Just fucking no. Not even close. I don't know any way to put it that doesn't sound braggy, but I've had a fair bit more casual, irrelevant sex than most people. That doesn't mean I'll sleep with female friends if I think it's damaging to a meaningful friendship. There's two people involved; I'm capable of having sex be no big deal, but that's not the case for every female partner. If you consider both ends of a coupling you might come to different conclusions.
    Alright, so you can separate sex and emotion. Does that make your opinion more valid than mine?

Here's how I see it-- guy and girl are friends. Girl sees little to no romantic potential in guy, because if she did they'd be more than just friends. Guy does see romantic potential in girl because they are friends, and if she makes a good friend then why wouldn't she make a good girlfriend?

Big surprise, I know, but men and women have different perspectives on romance and sex. It seems that women tend to draw more distinctions between what is friend-material and date-material, and men tend to be more dynamic and laid-back as to what they consider a potential paramour. Neither is right and neither is wrong, but it's worth acknowledging that these differences exist and it causes some interesting social interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Alright, so you can separate sex and emotion. Does that make your opinion more valid than mine?
    If your opinion hinges on everybody thinking the same way as you and many people lying, your opinion is probably invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Here's how I see it-- guy and girl are friends. Girl sees little to no romantic potential in guy, because if she did they'd be more than just friends. Guy does see romantic potential in girl because they are friends, and if she makes a good friend then why wouldn't she make a good girlfriend?

Big surprise, I know, but men and women have different perspectives on romance and sex. Neither is right and neither is wrong, but it's worth acknowledging that these differences exist and it causes some interesting social interactions.
    The Pro-"men and women can be friends" camp seems to be of the opinion that men and women could be friends if everyone "stopped being immature".

I'm confused, didn't you say that you can separate the two?

I don't think anyone's personal tastes are more valid. All I'm driving at is that you shouldn't be applying those personal tastes to everyone else and saying that they must be the case for everyone. I'm sure some people are incapable of having female friends. I'm equally sure that other people are better at it than I am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    I wouldn't mind having sex with her but isn't something like I want to do, really..
    You just owned yourself right there mate lol

So much for beeing a badass i wonder what your gf would say after seeing you write that

try to be honest instead of trying to act all cool, in the end the truth comes out and right here you
    pulled it out there. faillllll

So aslong as we didn't grow together then it would be fine. So if you found out had a sister as an adult, the chances of you finding her sexually atractive is very high, yet I bet you wouldn't bang that.

If your opinion hinges on everybody thinking the same way as you and many people lying, your opinion is probably invalid.
    First off, I never claimed everyone felt the same way as me.

I've posted research in this thread explaining how most men are just as emotional as women (but don't show it) and the research paper in the OP is from a peer reviewed journal. It might not be an exhaustive study but it sure as hell means more research should be done.

What if it came back as a 5000 person study with the same results? Would you continue to say it (and people like me who think it accurately represents the overall population) was full of shit?

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 04:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Keske View Post
    So aslong as we didn't grow together then it would be fine. So if you found out had a sister as an adult, the chances of you finding her sexually atractive is very high, yet I bet you wouldn't bang that.
    Chances are good that if you're not aware she's related to her, you'd find her much more attractive than otherwise. We tend to find familiarity attractive... and what's more familiar than blood?

Obviously if you KNEW you were related you couldn't do anything, but it would make family reunions pretty fucking awkward.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 04:04 AM ----------

I'm confused, didn't you say that you can separate the two?
    No I said I CAN'T. I did say that emotion doesn't necessarily have to be love though.

I don't think anyone's personal tastes are more valid. All I'm driving at is that you shouldn't be applying those personal tastes to everyone else and saying that they must be the case for everyone. I'm sure some people are incapable of having female friends. I'm equally sure that other people are better at it than I am.
    I'm not suggesting that I speak for all men

First off, I never claimed everyone felt the same way as me.
    "In fact I don't think it's possible for a guy to be sexually attracted to a woman and then say he wouldn't have sex with her if he were being totally honest."

I've posted research in this thread explaining how most men are just as emotional as women (but don't show it) and the research paper in the OP is from a peer reviewed journal. It might not be an exhaustive study but it sure as hell means more research should be done.

What if it came back as a 5000 person study with the same results? Would you continue to say it (and people like me who think it accurately represents the overall population) was full of shit?
    I never said that the study was full of shit, I merely responded to your hypotheticals and your blanket claims.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    In this case, yes actually. Assuming I just use your current statement to imply that you can't separate sex and emotion, considering the topic at hand, your opinion does become alittle invalid. You would only be able to answer it from the viewpoint of sex with all attractive female friends, and not be able to "understand" how others can possibly go without doing it assuming the girl was willing.

I'm also not saying that I wouldn't want to. The desire doesn't go away simply because of the potential problem caused by it. But that potential problem also is the reason I will not let it become anything more than a random desire. So I might want to, but whether I actually do is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    there is a lot of truth to that, if a guy and a girl are friends, the girl has usually already decided that she isn't into the guy romantically. however there ARE still a million girls out there stuck in friendships with guys they pine for and wish like crazy he would notice that she feels more for him.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm not suggesting that I speak for all men
    Why in the actual fuck did you say the following then:

In fact I don't think it's possible for a guy to be sexually attracted to a woman and then say he wouldn't have sex with her if he were being totally honest.
    I really don't follow this at all. One moment, you're saying what's possible for males, the next you're saying, "hey, I'm not speaking for anyone else".

"In fact I don't think it's possible for a guy to be sexually attracted to a woman and then say he wouldn't have sex with her if he were being totally honest."

I never said that the study was full of shit, I merely responded to your hypotheticals and your blanket claims.
    Perhaps I misspoke and should have said "It's really hard for me to believe a guy can be sexually attracted to someone and decline sex with them if the opportunity arises.

The problem, though, is that you attack the semantics of the argument rather than the argument itself.

This whole topic seems to be very dependent on the individual.

And to be honest, I really can't be asked to walk on eggshells and make sure to cross the Ts and dot the Is on an internet forum.

I'm a dude in his house in NJ. Not a political adviser in DC. If you can't look at an argument for what it is rather than the semantics surrounding it then I don't frankly care.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-14 at 04:09 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

This I would agree with If you're someone who can just "be friends", then there you go.

Signature material. Using it!

Perhaps I misspoke and should have said "It's really hard for me to believe a guy can be sexually attracted to someone and decline sex with them if the opportunity arises.

The problem, though, is that you attack the semantics of the argument rather than the argument itself.

I wasn't attacking the semantics, you presented a different argument.

And to be honest, I really can't be asked to walk on eggshells and make sure to cross the Ts and dot the Is on an internet forum.

I'm a dude in his house in NJ. Not a political adviser in DC. If you can't look at an argument for what it is rather than the semantics surrounding it then I don't frankly care.
    I understand what you mean, but don't be surprised if the argument you presented isn't what you meant to present. I very likely do the same thing.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-11-14 at 04:14 AM.

Yeah, how dare anyone respond to what you said instead of what they should have known you meant. Seriously? I mean, phrasing shit wrong is fine, but expecting other people to know what you meant is just unrealistic.

Yeah, how dare anyone respond to what you said instead of what they should have known you meant. Seriously? I mean, phrasing shit wrong is fine, but expecting other people to know what you meant is just unrealistic.
    Again, if you can't be bothered to care that just because someone uses a blanket statement doesn't mean they actually believe it applies to 100% of a group (eg. "The Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Everyone knows that.") Then I don't really care to clean it up for you.

I'm not a fucking politician. I don't need your vote and I don't need to make sure every sentence I type out has its meaning laid out crystal clear.

So again, if you have nothing to do but attack which words I use in a statement rather than the intent therein (Much less read the goddamn thread in which I explicitly state several times I don't speak for all men. But then you would have known that had you actually read it.) then you and I, frankly, have nothing to discuss because we're talking about two different things.

Deleted
    I think this thread went way off somewhere at page 3-4. People started commenting about the fact that men and women can be friends....

Thats NOT the issue at hand, the real issue is "Can men and women JUST be friends"

Thats is a totally different discussion.

Can you move back to the right one pls?