10+ Year Old Account

Dear Americans (Dem Cookies)

EDIT (11-16-2012): I am sincerely sorry for necroing this thread after over 2 weeks of it being more than dead, but I guess it's better than making a new one. Also wall of text incoming.

This time however has not gone unused, as I have done the occasional hour of research as to what is and is not known in the US in regards to christmas related food from Germany (information that is kinda hard to come by). I would like to present you with some of my findings, as some of the things are available in America - at least for those who are aware they exist and willing to go look for them. I will also list what I have in the package so far, feel free to suggest anything else you can think of that is not on it - I still have a week or so before I finally ship it .. Again, this thread is mainly meant for Americans, but anyone please feel free to leave a post.

Also, seeing that the USPS is legally forbidden from shipping alcohol, does this apply to any goods that have had alcohol used in their production, but do not themselves contain any due to a baking process? (Rum is what makes Stollen tasty)!!

-Marzipan: I was surprised to find that not everyone knew this stuff. Its basically a paste of almonds and sugar, and many people in the States seem to hate it. This is probably due to its somewhat play-do-ey consistency, but in Germany it's a popular treat around Christmas, new year and Easter.

Nougat: "But Krawu, we totally know nougat already". No, you don't. Not the stuff that we in Germany refer to as Nougat. ours isn't Crunchy and white. While we have that variety too, ours is essentially a firmer, richer, hypercharged variant of nutella. It too is made with hazelnuts, chocolate, cocoa butter and lots of sugar.

Peanut Flips: These are not a Christmas article and aren't sweet - but they made it on my list and into the package regardless, espeacially after I was surprised to learn these are not available in the states. They often even sport American flags on the packaging. These are basically a crunchy puffy kind of salty chips that very strongly taste of roasted peanut. Simplistic but tasty, and rumored to be had at some Trader Joe's.

Blätterkrokant: This seems to be completely unheard of in the USA. I haven't even found a translation OR Germanization for it. It's a sort of super thinly layered brittle with layers of nougat in between, but all of it so thin it takes on a new, homogenous texture. It's crunchy but not hard, and does not taste anything like brittle or nougat. Also, if you eat it you will immediately get diabetes, that's how yummy it is. It's the damascus steel among the sweets! Gusta-score over 9000

Pumpernickel: Don't laugh. I know it's not sweet and not Christmas-exclusive.. It's said to be the epitome of typical dark and dense German breads. And yet the stuff they make in America has nothing in common with the original variety. Here all it typically contains is lightly crushed rye, salt, water and sometimes a little yeast. It is baked for at least 18 hours, so the rye becomes soft and is an extremely moist and dense bread. Taste and smell are reminiscent of hummus, but in a good way. If you were an earthworm, that would be how earth likely tastes to you. It's a love-or-hate thing.

Kinderriegel: Again, not Christmas-ey, but after seeing a review video by two Americans having this and being given an orgasm via tastebuds I decided to include his as well. Also threw in those liquorice thingies and dark chocolate bar from the video.

Now for the List:

-ditched the mini stollen and replaced them by a really large one, handcrafted in Dresden.
    -"dominos", which are basically little chocolates filled with soft gingerbread, jelly and marzipan (no, not the pizza)
    -cinnamon stars, soft cinnamon cookies
    -assortment of chocolate bars, some Milka, some Lindt christmas chocolate (fewer than before though, enjoy auntie.)
    -small jar of wildflower honey (requested specifically by a friends' mother)
    -also threw out the sauerkraut, they now get pumpernickel
    -baumkuchen
    -anise cookies (really great for Christmas)
    -lebkuchen. They are so common here I didn't even think to include them until they were suggested (thanks btw)
    -stroopwafels (Dutch-style thin cookies with caramel-butter filling)
    -blätterkrokant (see above)
    -Toffifee (available as Toffifay in the US, but nobody seems to know them)
    -Katjes liquorice herrings (see above video)
    -peanut flips
    -Spekulatius (maybe you know them as Speculoos, will throw them out if I find something better)
    -considering Mozartkugeln, but they are super expensive if you go for the good ones

This should be enough to shock all of America into a diabetic coma, but I'll consider any other ideas you guys might have. And since I don't expect anyone to actually take me up on that offer: Should anyone want anything from this list (or anything else) and trust me with their money for some reason write a post and I'll pm you back. I won't charge anything, as long as I get the money back the sweets and shipping cost me. (Shipping from Europe to the US IS expensive, so be warned.) I'll keep checking the thread for maybe a week.

ORIGINAL POST:

First of all, if you came here expecting any sort of political discussion, prepare to be thoroughly disappointed. I am looking for advice from American and Canadian residents. With christmas practically around the corner, I am assembling an assortment of various sweets and treats to send to some friends overseas in the States. Being from Germany myself and only having been to Canada once, I have practically no clue which German sweets might or might not be known or attainable in America. I want this assortment of sweets to be extra super special, so please tell me which German or European sweets you may have heard about, but never had yourself, or had maybe once or twice and been craving it ever since. Also tell me if you know some sweets or candy that can be bought in the US, but have a reputation for being better in Germany or Europe. You may also include alcoholic drinks in your recommendations, but please only those that you can only send one bottle of (that practically excludes any beers).

Here's what I have so far:

-Some awesome mini-stollen with marzipan filling
    -"dominoes", which are basically little chocolates filled with soft gingerbread, jelly and marzipan (no, not the other dominoes)
    -A bag of herbal gingerbread
    -cinnamon stars, soft cinnamon cookies
    -Assortment of chocolate bars, some Milka, some Lindt christmas chocolate
    -small jar of wildflower honey (requested specifically by a friends' mother)
    -bag of pre-boiled sauerkraut for shits and giggles

Please tell me any suggestions you may have, I have like 3 more kilos to go before the package is upped to the next price class. Thank you!
    Also, feel free to discuss any sweets you like, but please stay on topic.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2012-11-16 at 06:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lebkuchen! Not sure if that's what you mean by one of the things, but..

My family actually orders a giant chest of lebkuchen every year to share among everybody; it's awesome.

Deleted
    One word: baumkuchen. Some German bakeries still sell these in the states. Fucking baumkuchen. Holy crap it's almost here again. I love baumkuchen.

- Lebkuchen for sure
    - Exotic Ritter Sport flavors which you don't find in the US
    - Prinzenrolle
    - Packaged Maultaschen, Spätzle, Schupfnudeln (awesome!!)
    - A jar of Griebenschmalz mit Chili (freakin awesome as well)
    - Some mini-bottles of Jägermeister or Kleiner Feigling for fun.
    - "Volles Rohr" from Haribo <- hard to find, but super tasty
    - Mozartkugeln maybe? Can probably get them in the US.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    if your close to the dutch border, get some "stroopwafels". overseas people always seem to love those.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    One word: baumkuchen. Some German bakeries still sell these in the states. Fucking baumkuchen. Holy crap it's almost here again. I love baumkuchen.
    I second the baumkuchen. Love that stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the answers so far. Baumkuchen will be an easy one, they sell those everywhere around here. I thought I had lebkuchen covered with gingerbread, of course there is always the option of adding MORE of it!! Stroopwafels seem to be available practically everywhere in northern Germany, here in Hamburg I've seen them in almist every larger store, good one though, will add those.

Keep it coming, still at least 2 kilograms to go, make some americans happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    if your close to the dutch border, get some "stroopwafels". overseas people always seem to love those.
    These are lovely, we have a shop here in denmark locally that sells them - so good with warm drinks!

I don't know much about German cookies, but I must say, you sound like an awesome friend!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hamburgers! Oh wait ...
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

10+ Year Old Account
    Riiise, thread, riise. For more please see original post and despair.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-16 at 07:36 AM.