Cataclysm - anyone see an update?

The GC tweet that the spell was pulled so it could be reworked (something along the lines of - 'people were just running out while the spell was channeling then running back in' - shocker, I know), but I haven't seen anything since that.

Since the last PTR build has the 'Release' tag on it, I am getting concerned that rework was code for scrap and ignore.

Last i heard it was just pulled completely with no intentions to re-work and add it back in.
    Cyner#1996

Deleted
    Xelnath lost his job fighting for it, but in the end it was to no avail. As far as I understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilmir View Post
    Xelnath lost his job fighting for it, but in the end it was to no avail. As far as I understand it.
    No, he lost his job cause he was frustrated with things and shot his mouth. It came because of a meeting where Cataclysm was discussed though, so there is that.

No idea what's to become of the supposed help to Destro that was going to be implemented. I think it's pretty safe to say there won't be much of any changes anymore with the PTR going release client.

It's unlikely to pay back us withing taking away our Cataclysm.
    Do'nt be innocent.

I thought GC said on this twitter that they just think it wasn't good enough of a spell for what it was intended for so they are trying to "work" more on it. I do agree it was really a trivial spell. It was cool and all, but it was really not what Destro needs. We need a defensive peel, not a spell that forces melee to get away from you and then go back when it's over.

If they really want to address Destro spec, they'd only need to tweak what's already there in talents and passives and will be good and ready.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 02:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    with the PTR going release client.
    Are you kidding me? Really? So they reverted all mage nerfs (especially that Ice Barrier nerf and Spellsteal nerf which are ALL WARRANTED) and warriors still remain untouched? Are you sure? Because blues did say they're still working with a lot of stuff for 5.1 including nerfs for warriors, etc.

It's amazing how warlock nerfs can go as quick as hotfixes, but warriors need to be defended by blues and blame all their burst to hunters. Ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Are you kidding me? Really? So they reverted all mage nerfs (especially that Ice Barrier nerf and Spellsteal nerf which are ALL WARRANTED) and warriors still remain untouched? Are you sure? Because blues did say they're still working with a lot of stuff for 5.1 including nerfs for warriors, etc.

It's amazing how warlock nerfs can go as quick as hotfixes, but warriors need to be defended by blues and blame all their burst to hunters. Ridiculous.
    Not sure what you mean, but all those changes and nerfs are still very much in place on the PTR, and still part of the release version they have running now on the PTR. (At least I haven't heard anyone about changes being reverted, I'm not on the PTR myself at this time, besides it would be on the frontpage of MMO-C, cause this would be headline news.)

Don't panic, nothing changed from before this release client going on the PTR.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    I thought GC said on this twitter that they just think it wasn't good enough of a spell for what it was intended for so they are trying to "work" more on it. I do agree it was really a trivial spell. It was cool and all, but it was really not what Destro needs. We need a defensive peel, not a spell that forces melee to get away from you and then go back when it's over.

If they really want to address Destro spec, they'd only need to tweak what's already there in talents and passives and will be good and ready.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 02:46 AM ----------

We need cc that Cataclysm is better than nothing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last I heard, admittedly from GC tweets that I can't find, was that Cataclysm just didn't work in practice, so they're pulling the spell and exploring new options. Chances are anything they try to push out quickly just to replace it would either not work, or work far, far too well. It may not be present for 5.1 launch, but I would expect something by 5.2 at the latest, if not a patch shortly after 5.1. I doubt they'd let a replacement stall the patch any further than it already may be stalled though.

What was the point of adding Cataclysm in the first place? Was this something destruction was absolutely lacking?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    What was the point of adding Cataclysm in the first place? Was this something destruction was absolutely lacking?
    My guess is that it was to counter being focused by multiple melee enemies. Demo has DA, and Affli (arguably) has soulburn CoEx. It did sound like something given more for the look/style than the balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Destruction is missing 5 -13k dps. ( depending if you think aff is an outlier) But no, I thought it was an non needed spell. I think the other spell (the drop grenade one) was pretty cool. I really hate when I get yanked into a group of 5 and get chain stunned for the next 45sec. Would make it useful if it really did some unbelievable damage. They could add a 1-2 second delay so people could run out.
    Love my guildies, but where are my minions.
    [Intel i5 4690k CPU] [Asus Z97-AR Mobo] [EVGA GTX960-SSC GPU] [Crucial Ballistix 1600 8gb Memory] [Sound Blaster Zx Sound card]
    [Corsair Liquid Cooler] [EVGA Bronze 600watt Power supply] [Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, Western Digital 7200rpm Black HDD] [Logitech G105 Keyboard and G502 mouse] [Asus 24in 144hz LED Monitor and AOC 22in LED]

If they were going to rework it, they would have reworked it. Since it was removed you can bet it was scrapped completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    Last I heard, admittedly from GC tweets that I can't find, was that Cataclysm just didn't work in practice, so they're pulling the spell and exploring new options. Chances are anything they try to push out quickly just to replace it would either not work, or work far, far too well. It may not be present for 5.1 launch, but I would expect something by 5.2 at the latest, if not a patch shortly after 5.1. I doubt they'd let a replacement stall the patch any further than it already may be stalled though.
    Yeah, I couldn't find it to quote either. It was definitely there before too - wish I had screenshotted it. I think it's safe to say that we are just screwed.

Xelnath and everything he was working on were scrapped when he was fired. To avoid lawsuits for intellectual property. No warlock specific quests no new spells etc, basically anything he was working on was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Xelnath and everything he was working on were scrapped when he was fired. To avoid lawsuits for intellectual property. No warlock specific quests no new spells etc, basically anything he was working on was removed.
    Your post makes no sense whatsoever. It stands to reason that whatever he created while under employment of Blizzard is property of Blizzard. Lol.

Deleted
    By that logic, most of TOR would have to be scrapped for the same reason (main devs leaving).

I'd argue that with Xel gone they want time to a) get a new Lock dev and/or get him/her adjusted to Lock's currently, and b) maybe skip over this patch so as not to rush the spell or delay the patch and have time to get it finely balanced.

I really want to know whether the questline will make it or not. This will define my relationship with the class, not to mention the game in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Ultima View Post
    By that logic, most of TOR would have to be scrapped for the same reason (main devs leaving).

I'd argue that with Xel gone they want time to a) get a new Lock dev and/or get him/her adjusted to Lock's currently, and b) maybe skip over this patch so as not to rush the spell or delay the patch and have time to get it finely balanced.
    xelnath said the mage dev was taking over locks.

cataclysm as it was designed is gone, hopefully to be replaced by something better. a short-ish cd knockback not tied to whiplash, or a reduced icd on backlash, or something along these lines is what we need for pvp, but it's not likely to be seen for a while with 5.1 on ptr being upgraded to rc status.

in re to your post, there is no justification for delaying a patch due to 'balance' when you go back and look at mages/warriors/hunters going live with mop. that entire notion is beyond ludicrous. . .

to all the people crying about the warlock quest being removed is ridiculous. it hasn't. enlighten yourselves.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/quest=32295 <-- warlock quest.

now stop perpetuating bullshit.

They will do something, it is just it would take another 10 patches.
    Even if it is getting rework, there is no chance it would make it in 5.1.
    Blizzard takes their time, this is not the first day they are doing this.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 06:13 AM ----------

What? Is this guy just troll?
    When you work for a another company, what you do is own by the company. That is the whole reason they pay you money...