New HDD for my current build

Hey guys, hopefully this is the correct area to post such a thread.

Im in need of a new HDD for storage as part of my current build but when it comes to HDD's the only thing I really understand is size. My current storage drive is an old drive from a previous build (like 500g or something) but it's quite bad in terms of both size and speed and I am looking to upgrade to something like a 2-4tb HDD.

Does anyone know where I could possibley find some charts that have good information on this, possibley a ranking system such as the ones tomshardware does for video cards and the such?

Also, here is where I will be ordering from (Australian here) so any one of these

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?..._344&vk_sort=4

I always side with WD Black Drives. I don't have any links ranking them but I can tell you from the many builds I have done I have never had a problem b/c of the HDD. If interested in a NAS I have read the WD Red drives perform quite well with some of the settings involved in that.

If money is not an issue look into the Raptor drives from WD since they are 10,000 RPM though ensure you have good airflow as mine can get quite hot under full load.

Quote Originally Posted by Targaryen View Post
    I always side with WD Black Drives. I don't have any links ranking them but I can tell you from the many builds I have done I have never had a problem b/c of the HDD. If interested in a NAS I have read the WD Red drives perform quite well with some of the settings involved in that.

If money is not an issue look into the Raptor drives from WD since they are 10,000 RPM though ensure you have good airflow as mine can get quite hot under full load.
    Thanks for your input, I was actually looking at the WD red's before posting this and was leaning towards them, I have heard many good things about the raptors, only problem is size and price, speed is excellent but at 300$ for 1tb vs 200$ for 3tb on the WD red it seems like a no brainer in terms of storage.

I guess I should also add I will be ordering a second OCZ Vertex 4 256gb at the same time as the HDD to run a raid setup (currently have one already) so speed isn't too much of an issue as I am already using an SSD for speed, I just need basic storage but I didn't want sluggish speeds on it either.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=20886

EDIT: Oh and also in terms of air flow, I think I should be ok I haven't got the best setup in terms of cooling but my pc doesn't really seem to run hot (around 60 degrees celcius at full load) I have a case that has fans in the front for the hdd bay but its not a top of the line case I got it for looks more than anything

Funny side story, I had to actually break the case a little on the inside by bending some of the drive bay using pliers to fit my radeon 7970 in hahaha, luckily the video card blocks view of the area effected if you are looking through the window though.

Here's my case (I have the red version):
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21570
    Last edited by Oncereborn; 2012-11-14 at 03:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    HDD's don't need that much airflow, it was actually found out that the ideal operating temperature for HDD's is between 40-50c. They are the most reliable and last the longest when kept at those temps. It's true that most electronic devices enjoy low temperatures, but because HDD's have so many moving parts it's best they stay nice and warm :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

For inactive storage I used to always recommend the Greens, but since the Reds came along I have a hard time recommending anything else. They're built for the exact purpose, without any of the cost cutting or gimmicks of the green drives, and better support (as in warranty) and MTBF.

Of course, if you're going to be actually running applications off of them a Blue or Black would probably be the safest bet. But for storage, it's the Reds hand down.