Free space on C:

As of lately i m runing into this problem, i m always out of space on C:
    It has 40gb and after manualy checking only 21 gb are occupied by windows/programs and such. Right now it says i have 2gb free, after doing a disck cleanup (wich deleted about 1gb of stuff after i checked every box.) Where on earth are the other 17 gb??
    I doubt it s in virtual memory since i have 6 gb of RAM and task manager shows 1400 mb in Use right now.
    I m runing windows 8.

Deleted
    Swap and hibernation files most likely. Why would you even use just 40 gigs for the system partition anyway, that seems a bit low.

right click your recycle bin on your desktop, click properties.. how much space is reserved for it on C:?

(assuming you have Windows of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    right click your recycle bin on your desktop, click properties.. how much space is reserved for it on C:?

(assuming you have Windows of course)
    It says 3999mb reserved, almost the whole partition, but there is nothing in it.

Also i gues it s still morning it says at the end of the post i m runing windows 8
    Last edited by Syro; 2012-11-14 at 06:21 AM.

Deleted
    Just buy new HDD or if you want get SSD. 500GB HDD costs about 50€ +-. 120GB SSD costs 80€+. I also don't understand why you have so small HDD for system.

39 GB reserved for your recycle bin? LOL, I usually set mine to 1-5 GB at most... I suggest you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dr-pills View Post
    Just buy new HDD or if you want get SSD. 500GB HDD costs about 50€ +-. 120GB SSD costs 80€+. I also don't understand why you have so small HDD for system.
    What kind of solution is that?
    I have a 500 gb hdd, but that is hardly the problem, if i make an 100gb system partition, and it gets filled by misterious stuff again how did i fix anything?

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 06:21 AM ----------

39 GB reserved for your recycle bin? LOL, I usually set mine to 1-5 GB at most... I suggest you do the same.
    I wrote wrong, it s 3999 mb, so about 4gb.

To find out what's taking up the room, open up your "my computer" and go into C drive. right click each folder one by one and click properties, record how much space each is taking up.

windows, program files and users should be taking up the most. Once you do this, go into the users and program files folders and dig some more to see what's using all your space.

does anyone else use your computer? someone storing some dirty videos somewhere?

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:27 PM ----------

also, how large is your pagefile? do you have system restore turned on?

I use CCleaner to scan for unwanted files, etc... give it a try. Just dont use the Registry fix, it's not needed.
    Last edited by Herbert; 2012-11-14 at 06:29 AM.

To find out what's taking up the room, open up your "my computer" and go into C drive. right click each folder one by one and click properties, record how much space each is taking up.

windows, program files and users should be taking up the most. Once you do this, go into the users and program files folders and dig some more to see what's using all your space.

does anyone else use your computer? someone storing some dirty videos somewhere?

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:27 PM ----------

also, how large is your pagefile? do you have system restore turned on?

I use CCleaner to scan for unwanted files, etc... give it a try. Just dont use the Registry fix, it's not needed.
    I dont have page file on C:. I entered c: and checked the size of every folder, added up they give 21gb/40 gb but computer says i only have 2 gb free so this is the mistery.
    System restore is on.

system restore does take up space, how much is being used for it?

download ccleaner, it's great at finding junk
    Last edited by Herbert; 2012-11-14 at 07:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Download jdiskreport