Taking more damage as tank.

I am running a hit/exp softcap build and stacking mastery, but when I look at the damage taken meters I am taking alot more damage than the pally tank in our raid group. I am keeping SB on constant cd, and when I need it and dont have enough rage I am popping SB. Is this just the way things are or am I doing something wrong?

I am keeping SB on constant cd, and when I need it and dont have enough rage I am popping SB.
    See the problem? Shield Block, Shield Barrier - probably should clarify!

I'll assume you mean Block on CD and Barrier when you don't since that is 20-60 Rage. From what I know, you should be using Barrier a lot more than Block with the exception of heavy-hitting melee fights.

Also, for the others who will go into more detail, you should link your armory and some logs.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-11-14 at 04:16 PM.

Deleted
    Mastery spec takes more damage. Its not about taking less, its about smoothing the damage instead of mitigation and burst damage intake.

I am keeping Shield block on CD and Barrier when I don't have enough rage.

Quote Originally Posted by roflmfao View Post
    I am keeping Shield block on CD and Barrier when I don't have enough rage.
    That might be your problem then. You shouldn't be aimlessly using Shield Block on CD.

Think of Stoneguards: 60-80% of your damage taken comes from a DoT where your mastery and Shieldblock help you exactly zilch.

There are a lot of hints to be taken from tanking sites but I particularly found this one good:
    Shield Barrier opposed to Shield Block is never wasted (assuming you take damage at all of course). So even if your Shield Barrier is not absorbing as much as you could have blocked with your Shield Block any misplaced Shield Block (Magic/Dot damage or times with large avoidance) will definitely result in more damage taken.

So in case of doubt: use Shield Barrier

Damage meters won't tell you who's actually "taking more damage", you need to look at logs for that. Additionally, the build you're going for is meant to reduce damage spikes, not overall damage taken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Damage meters won't tell you who's actually "taking more damage", you need to look at logs for that. Additionally, the build you're going for is meant to reduce damage spikes, not overall damage taken.
    Both recount and skada has a tab for damage taken

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Both recount and skada has a tab for damage taken
    That's correct, they do. But it's misleading.

In this thread: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...a-Prot-Warrior

The OP came in asking why he was taking "more damage" than the monk tank of similar gear. Recount was where he drew this conclusion. Once others were able to look at the actual log for him, it came out that technically the monk was taking more damage- but he was reducing spikes more effectively. Read through it, this is hardly an effective attempt at a TL;DR by me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    That's correct, they do. But it's misleading.
    Yeh, you have to take recounts values with a bit of salt, just as dps tend to be lower when looking at wol.
    Haven't used skada in a while but have a feeling it would be closer to the truth(wol).

Deleted
    as other have said, you shouldn't have Shield block on cd all the time, use it when needed!

It's not the values that are misleading Santa - it's the missing information of variation in damage taken.

Two tanks could take the same amount of one million damage in recount.
    One evens out all "heavy" hits with a mitigation ability and tunes - let's say 200k hits - down to 100k.
    The other one takes just as much damage by completely absorbing all the small - let's say 50k hits - but eating the 200k hits in whole.

This is what makes druids look strange in stoneguards for example. A warrior can absorb a lot of the bleed effect (SBarr) and takes less damage per se (15%) - The druid takes 12% reduced damage (opposed to 15%) and has to counterheal the bleed with Frenzied regen.

Deleted
    I get that, i'm sorry if i made it sound like using recount as a substitute for wol was my point.
    Was merely pointing out that there is indeed 'damage taken' tab and if you see a big difference and healers complaining you spikey as fuck. Maybe you should investigate why

your tanking with a paly, i would say paly's are the strongest tank currently, they can do 30k+ hps on stone guard if they have a clue, us or monks are second however. if you use the right mitigation for the right fight of course, but the great thing about warriors is our passive 25% damage reduction, it almost impossible for us to be spiked nowadays. was great that blizz finally noticed our issues.
    so yeah look at what kind of damage you take, any dot or magic and its barrier time, to be honest only fights i think are block fights (that ive seen) are garajal, will, blade lord.

Thanks for the input. Prioritizing Barrier over block made a huge difference, and on some meters I was actually taking less damage than the pally by making this simple change. Still using recount for my damage taken, but this has had a huge impact on that meter.