Graphic Card temp question

I noticed my graphic card temp hitting around 81ish *C. I don't ever remember my temp getting up that high, i'm useing GTX 550 Ti, any idea why suddenly the temp is getting too high? Playing wow and havent had this problem before until today. I'm not computer smart at all so any help would be wonderfull.

81 at idle or while playing?
    Is the fan on it working?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...-550ti-us.html
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 100 C

That's a bit high but GPU's can handle that kind of heat. Start to worry if it goes higher than that.

I have had cards melt at anything over around 97 C, running at 100 C for any length of time will probably shorten the life of the card a fair bit.

If you turn off/unplug then open up the PC and remove the card(assuming you know how to do this without damaging anything), check if there is any buildup of dust on any visible areas. Dust can be responsible for a lot of overheat problems.

Well while in the game it got up to *81 C. Just doing normal stuff nothing out of the ordinary. I leave the side panel of my computer off so the inside of the tower is exposed. Out side of wow my temp is fine, like right now it is 39 *C sometimes lower with nothing running. I got to go to work...when I get home i'll see about any dust issues or if the fan isnt working. Thank you guys for the help, any more tips would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum bucket View Post
    Well while in the game it got up to *81 C. Just doing normal stuff nothing out of the ordinary. I leave the side panel of my computer off so the inside of the tower is exposed. Out side of wow my temp is fine, like right now it is 39 *C sometimes lower with nothing running. I got to go to work...when I get home i'll see about any dust issues or if the fan isnt working. Thank you guys for the help, any more tips would be great.
    81c in Battlefield 3? Black ops 2? or in WoW? If its bf3 yea sure np, still 90c is the getting warm area.

Outdoor wow can be quite stressful even on modern GPUs, I have a 560ti OC'd and it quite often runs at 80-98% with 4xFXAA while doing dailies and stuff, Granted its almost always below 75C but its a windforce card.
    Anything Below 85C with the card running at 80-98% usage is quite safe and barely anything to worry about, If not and you did check if the fan is working properly and no dust etc, feel free to change the Thermal paste below the heat sink (Do it only if you feel comfortable removing your GPU's Heat sink).
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

well turns out it was dust after all : ) thank you all for your help

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on your manufacturer, you might be able to download an overclocking utility which usually lets you manually control the fan speed based on GPU temp, so you might be able to keep your temperatures down a little more that way if it still concerns you.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced