Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The funny thing is, someone posted a few weeks ago that when most guys work out they focus on their chest, but most women find the butt to be the most attractive part.
    Personally both help. Generally all people want to look good both from the front and the back.

And when people talk about a guy's butt, that's ultimately "curves". Guys have them too. The angle of how the back transitions to the rear, angle of chest into the torso, neck into the back, etc. They all help accentuate a guy's figure, just as certain angles do on a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfly View Post
    It's quite retarded, and this just tells us that women has TOO HIGH expectations of men.

How many men in the world is above average looking? 50% of them
    How many is below average? 50% of them. It's simple.

I hope at least some women will figure this out and maybe say to themselves "Ohh, maybe my expectations are too high"

Or at least know how "average" works :3
    That would assume that none of them actually are average. Typically, the majority of the population is average, and the highs and the lows are the outliers. So say 50% are average looking, 25% are above, 25% are below.

Also given that 1/3 of the US population is considered obese, that number could be skewed considerably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interestingly, I just got messaged by a good looking woman on OKC not 5 minutes ago whose personality looks good from her profile. Unfortunately, she lives 67 miles away.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Interestingly, I just got messaged by a good looking woman on OKC not 5 minutes ago whose personality looks good from her profile. Unfortunately, she lives 67 miles away.
    That isn't that far in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't hurt to message her back and at the very least start as internet friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't that far in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't hurt to message her back and at the very least start as internet friends.
    Yeah, I already responded. It wouldn't be excessive, except that I have a leased car with mileage limits way lower than they would need to be for me to go out with someone who lives that far away.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am rare then
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Depends a bit on the size of the student loans and what they were for. If I found out they used their student loans to be able to live without working while doing a double major in underwater basket weaving and 18th century Nepalese literature with a masters in paranormal phenomena, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for that.

If they were working while in school and just took enough student loans to help them get that engineering or computer science or biochem degree or something, I'd be totally OK with that.
    I think borrowing money for a reasonable investment is fine, for example an education, borrowing money to maintain lifestyle is something totally different though. Grown ups should have learned to live on a budget, you don't borrow money for a trip to Thailand for example, you save up for that. You don't take a SMS loan at 4 o'clock in the morning, shit like that doesn't sit right with me. It's just irresponsible behaviour.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The thing that boggled my mind about the study was that 80% of men being "below average" is a mathematical impossibility.
    Well technically no, there could just be a couple insanely good looking guys screwing with the average.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well technically no, there could just be a couple insanely good looking guys screwing with the average.
    That, and the fact that when people say "Below average" they aren't using it as a mathematical term that compares someone against a "real" average. It's a qualitative statement.

Deleted
    How can 80% be below average? By definition that doesn't work >.>

For what it's worth, as a dude I find most women attractive in some way or other. Maybe women are just too picky?

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    How can 80% be below average? By definition that doesn't work >.>

For what it's worth, as a dude I find most women attractive in some way or other. Maybe women are just too picky?
    Depends on what the average is: average looks, or average man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I suppose that's technically true, but given the sample size I'd say it's statistically unlikely.

Being 43 and getting back into the dating scene after a year break from a really bad break up, I can tell you that in the not so great state of Utah, if you don't have movie star looks and a deep wallet, you are not getting a date. Even if the gal is butt ass ugly chances are online you're not getting a date. Women are just as shallow if not more so than men in the 40+ age group.

I suppose that's technically true, but given the sample size I'd say it's statistically unlikely.
    Well, one has to take into account that a dating website may not account for a true sample of demographics.

Well, one has to take into account that a dating website may not account for a true sample of demographics.
    I fail to understand how that could be the case.

You're talking millions of members and an accurate sampling of one gender but not the other?

While possible I really don't think it's the case.

I wish this blog hadn't shut down so they could have posted a followup where they controlled for this.

I fail to understand how that could be the case.

You're talking millions of members and an accurate sampling of one gender but not the other?

While possible I really don't think it's the case.

I wish this blog hadn't shut down so they could have posted a followup where they controlled for this.
    No I mean of men. More types of men might be attracted to online dating than other types. This could skew the average.

No I mean of men. More types of men might be attracted to online dating than other types. This could skew the average.
    While possible, I still find it extremely unlikely. You're talking about a really huge sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Yes, you are. You're confusing the average of the maximum and minimum with the average of all the values.
    I see, so you assume that it is a uniform distribution? that there are equally many ugly, reasonably ugly, normal, reasonably pretty and pretty people in the world. I see. That is a horrible assumption, but why not just say that in the first place?

The median is the middle value; the one that has 50% below and 50% above. The average value equals the median only with symmetric distributions (gaussian, uniform, student t etc), but not in skewed ones (chi-square, exponential, beta etc). Here is an image to explain the difference:

edit: picture didnt work, so http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mean+and+median
    Last edited by guff; 2012-11-16 at 07:14 PM.

This thread should be retitled "crises on MMO-Champ".

I mean I guess it's true though. Here's what these bitches need to understand.

If you look like Larry the god damn cable guy, then expect larry the god damn cable guy. NOT CHANNING TATUM

I am getting to god damn sick of these girls always yapping about how they can't find a man. Everybody can get someone, it's a matter of being realistic, and not being fucking retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am now confused by the definition of average.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven