Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

change or remove the disenchant option on loot

I couldn't find any threads about this topic, so I wanted to get others feed back on this.

Enchanting is the only profession that is basically forced to give up part of its ability. What I mean by this is the disenchant option on loot, and I think blizzard should remove it or add the other professions to the loot system.

Example: If I'm grouped with someone that is a miner, skinner or herbalist, and they mine, skin or pick an herb, a window doesn't pop up giving me the option to roll on what they got. So why should everyone have the option to disenchant their BoP gear with my profession that I leveled up. If I want herbs, skins or ore, I have to either level the needed profession for it or buy it from the auction house. So why should enchanters give up enchanting mats. No one else has to give up their mats.

Am I alone in my thoughts on this? Please keep your comments civil =)

Have you ever been approached on the streets of stormwind/org and been asked to de-enchant things for gold?
    People have their own enchanters to dechant things they find in dungeons.
    Without the miner there IS no ore.
    Without the enchanter that green is still going to drop.

All the DE button does is save the step where they say in guild "DE some stuff for me please". It's not like you're making those items drop like a miner or skinner is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tieryana View Post
    I couldn't find any threads about this topic, so I wanted to get others feed back on this.

Enchanting is the only profession that is basically forced to give up part of its ability. What I mean by this is the disenchant option on loot, and I think blizzard should remove it or add the other professions to the loot system.

Example: If I'm grouped with someone that is a miner, skinner or herbalist, and they mine, skin or pick an herb, a window doesn't pop up giving me the option to roll on what they got. So why should everyone have the option to disenchant their BoP gear with my profession that I leveled up. If I want herbs, skins or ore, I have to either level the needed profession for it or buy it from the auction house. So why should enchanters give up enchanting mats. No one else has to give up their mats.

All you lose from the disenchant option is the ability to demand a tip by party members for you to disenchant the loot. The disenchant is the exact same as greed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

I agree
    Abyss crystals back in wrath were worth 90g a pop and after the DE option came out they dropped to like 30g
    Bane

10+ Year Old Account
    You couldn't find any threads about enchanters whining about "giving away MY mats"? Oh, really.
    Look! Words!

Maybe Blizz should make it common for ALL rolls, regardless of the presence of an Enchanter. Then they are not using "your" skill, they are simply offering another form of the intended loot. Plus, the others are right, I would just have it DE'd in town anyway without paying anyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    This topic actually has been up before, and I agree, the option should be removed, all it does is kill the enchanting mats market.

Plain and simple, and if you don't see that then have blizz share your ore and herbs with us and see how you like it....prices would crash!

Deleted
    If disenchanting was a separate profession I could understand the complaints. But that's not the case, you got your enchanting profession and got the disenchant option for free with it.

How are they your mats? You wouldn't have them without everyone in the dungeon being there to kill the boss. It was *never* acceptable for the enchanter in the group to need roll every item because they could DE it so therefore it was theirs because they've never been considered the sole property of the enchanter (nor should they be). Why is it so harmful for you to help out your party members to make something more useful for them when they legitimately won them?

Honestly this is a silly argument, before the DE option it was completely expected and normal that the items would be traded to an enchanter to DE during/at the end of the dungeon. This just made the process easier and faster for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enchanters made a trade when that button was added to the loot system. The trade was scrolls. Now if you take away the disenchant button in loot, you should also take away the ability to enchant scrolls for the ah. It's only fair, enchanting is the only gathering / crafting profession, they put the button in for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    This topic actually has been up before, and I agree, the option should be removed, all it does is kill the enchanting mats market.

Plain and simple, and if you don't see that then have blizz share your ore and herbs with us and see how you like it....prices would crash!
    Well, as much as your arguement appears to make sense, your analogy is flawed. I don't have to use a special tool to get loot items. To get ore, I have to take the skill, go out in the world, and compete with a few hundred gatherers (including bots) who shove the price of ore through the basement. Skinners have to click on a dead body of an animal in order to gather skin. Herbers (also primarily driven by bots) fly from place to place to click on plants. Your skill requires something that already exists to be rolled for. Now, if Blizz wants to push the envelope, I say make Prospecting an option if ore is LOOTED and not gathered. Allow herbs to be milled if LOOTED and not gathered. As for leathers, not much to do with those except make the looted version an "uncommon" item to roll on.

I don't understand when something you would most likely offer to someone as a free service for running with you becomes an inconvenience. Oh wait, that's right. This is WoW and everyone is only out for themselves. I don't charge to smelt ore, or prospect gems, or even cut stones / make jewelry if you have the mats. The fake money in the game is not as important to me as the people I am helping. So, if you ever run with me, and want the ghost iron I just mined, you can have it. If you want me to prospect it for you, I can do that too. Alot of things may have changed in this game in 7 years of playing, but I am not one of them. I still put people first.

10+ Year Old Account
    In TBC, there was a simple rule. If you were an Enchanter, you were expected to disenchant all the BoP blues in dungeons (or epics in raids) that nobody needed, free of charge. If you tried to ask for a fee or tip, everyone would just say "screw that, everyone Need on the blue for vendor". They added this feature because Enchanters asked for it, to automate something they were doing anyway.

Besides; Enchanters still benefit more than anyone else, due to the Bountiful Bags guild perk. Roll Greed, use your own disenchant, and you have a chance at bonus mats that nobody else has.

The key here is that none of the mats are "your" mats, unless YOU won the roll for the item. If you hadn't, the item would be the OTHER guy's. So they're his mats. If he doesn't have Disenchanting, he'd probably vendor the BoPs, but they're still his, not yours. They would never, under any conditions, be yours.

Deleted
    I'm an enchanter and i ont care. It means more enchanting materials which does deflate prices, but its good for guildies.
    Really rather a poor whine form the OP who might need to step away from the computer an whilsy hes at it he can take all those dubious transmuters on the other thread who would prefer to risk an argyment rather than just agreeing terms beforehand.

Deleted
    From a classic enchanter with every chant in the game (not that this means much)

Your chosen profession is enchanting, having Dis-enchanting as an enchanter only system would effectively give us 3 main professions

1 - Enchanting
    2 - Your other main profession
    3 - A gathering profession of Dis-enchanting.

This was overpowered for gold making, and Big Blue quite rightly thought so too.

Some other points to consider.

The majority of greens that where won on green rolls in dungeons, would end up at an enchanter somehow, either via an alt, or a friend who would DE them.
    Enchanters would often take blue's from dungeons that where not needed and shard them, then hand them out on rolls
    so the enchanting button in dungeons speeds things up, Considerably.
    you would still need to win the item before DE'ing it. the Greed roll and the DE roll are of the same level. One is a better roll than the other.

Now some other things you may not have considered.
    in a dungeon A Herb, Skin, or Mining Node that was picked up by the relevant profession was only possible due to them being in the dungeon at the time, and that is all there profession can do (with the exception of mining and smelting)

If there was no miner the the ore would be useless as its unable to be gathered. However the same is not true of greens and blues. They still have a gold value regardless of an enchanter being in the dungeon, and again would more often than not (in the case of BOE's) be sent to someone for DE.

I have no problems with the way the system is at the moment, having the ability to quickly shard items in a dungeon has made things a lot easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    The majority of greens that where won on green rolls in dungeons, would end up at an enchanter somehow, either via an alt, or a friend who would DE them.
    Enchanters would often take blue's from dungeons that where not needed and shard them, then hand them out on rolls
    so the enchanting button in dungeons speeds things up, Considerably.
    you would still need to win the item before DE'ing it. the Greed roll and the DE roll are of the same level. One is a better roll than the other.

This.

TBH, now with the LFD tool, it seems a bit random that you actually need an enchater in the group for the enchant roll to come up.
    Really it's just entirely pot luck who you are or aren't placed with and, unless it's you that's levelled it, you can't control wether you'll be able to disenchant stuff or not that dungeon run, based only on the dice roll of who you're placed with.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

Its not like miners can roll on the shards you get for d/e'ing either. They are rolling on the green/blue/epic item, not on your shards.

When you are a Miner, you have to go mine and spend time doing it YOURSELF
    When you are a Herbalist, you have to go herb and spend time doing it YOURSELF
    When you are a Skinner, you can skin in groups or by yourself, but the Leather does not need to be shared due to the fact if you weren't there it wouldn't have been skinned.

Whereas the case with Enchanting, if you weren't there you would have still been able to roll greed on an Item and just Sold it for gold.

When you are an Enchanter, and you are in a group with other people, THEY also helped you kill whatever it is that dropped the Item that was to be Disenchanted. Thus are entitled to a shot at getting the D/e'd Item regardless if they are enchanters or not, just as you were entitled to get that piece of gear if your character could actually use it.

People that do not understand this concept make me sad.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    When you are a Miner, you have to go mine and spend time doing it YOURSELF
    When you are a Herbalist, you have to go herb and spend time doing it YOURSELF
    When you are a Skinner, you can skin in groups or by yourself, but the Leather does not need to be shared due to the fact if you weren't there it wouldn't have been skinned.

Whereas the case with Enchanting, if you weren't there you would have still been able to roll greed on an Item and just Sold it for gold.

When you are an Enchanter, and you are in a group with other people, THEY also helped you kill whatever it is that dropped the Item that was to be Disenchanted. Thus are entitled to a shot at getting the D/e'd Item regardless if they are enchanters or not, just as you were entitled to get that piece of gear if your character could actually use it.

People that do not understand this concept make me sad.
    i believe you dont understand the concept, since its entirely possible to get greens/blues from killing mobs yourself

and if a skinner skins a mob, lets say in old school Onyxia, they got the scale of onyxia from skinning her after the kill, and really it was a race to be first skinner there after the loot was distributed, unless it was a guild group. A skinner just needs to be first to a mob to skin it for their gathering profession, regardless if they are solo, in a group, or in the case of out in the world, didnt even kill anything at all.

enchanters do get the raw end of the stick, as only their profession HAS to be shared with everyone else

you give me an example of a profession which HAS to be shared with everyone else in the group or raid, that isnt enchanting, and we will start talking fair
    I see Stupid people!

It's fair because enchanting is the only gathering/crafting profession rolled into one.

I agree with someone up above. You should be allowed to DE when you loot magic items regardless of an enchanter being present. Even when you are alone.
    This would put it on par with tailoring at least.

This DE option allows you to choose the form of the loot that would exist without an an enchanter present, without a miner/herbalist/skinner there would be no extra loot.

Before the dungeon finder most enchanters would just roll need on everything and DE it at the end and let people roll for the shards (or just steal the shards if they felt like it). Greens would often just end up being de'd by an alt or guild mate. This just cuts out the middle man, yeah it probably increases the availability of blue quality shards, but since we can easily make the blue shards this time around their availability isn't much of an issue anyway.