Thread: [MW] Chi Wave

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    "assuming no overhealing" on Uplift is a pretty massive assumption. Assumes that not only are all targets sufficiently damaged, but that you actually need the healing at the time when you're choosing to either Uplift or Blackout Kick.

Yes, AOE heals are good. But that doesn't mean you see priests spamming nothing but Prayer of Healing through the entire fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    "assuming no overhealing" on Uplift is a pretty massive assumption. Assumes that not only are all targets sufficiently damaged, but that you actually need the healing at the time when you're choosing to either Uplift or Blackout Kick.

Yes, AOE heals are good. But that doesn't mean you see priests spamming nothing but Prayer of Healing through the entire fight.
    That's why we're specifically talking about Garalon, which has persistant raid-wide damage on every member of the raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    2 Chi is anything but cheap. That places it among our most expensive heals, and comparing it to other heals that cost the same resource is most definitely a valid comparison. It is also not instant. There is significant travel time for Chi Wave if the person is not standing in melee range of an enemy.

It's not anecdotal, it's math. Uplift will do more per spellpower than twice as much as 30 seconds of Serpent's Zeal, assuming no overhealing. You also do not heal everyone around you with Eminence, it only heals one target for each heal, that's just false.
    The two tools we have to deal with similar situations cost either 2 Chi or 24k mana, I believe the former is the cheapest. And yes, you can compare it to the raw healing of another spell but again, that's pointless and it goes to show what a poor grasp you have on the concept of healing. It's not only about how much, it's also about when and why.

It is anecdotal because you've shown literally 0 math to support your claim, go take a look at the # of hits eminence does on WoL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    The two tools we have to deal with similar situations cost either 2 Chi or 24k mana, I believe the former is the cheapest. And yes, you can compare it to the raw healing of another spell but again, that's pointless and it goes to show what a poor grasp you have on the concept of healing. It's not only about how much, it's also about when and why.

It is anecdotal because you've shown literally 0 math to support your claim, go take a look at the # of hits eminence does on WoL.
    Do both of you really need to attack each other personally over this? I don't feel like that's productive.

I took a look at my WoL and I saw that I'm getting a lot of hits of Eminence--more than once per damaging event, but it's definitely not 50% of the auto-attack hit to everyone within range of me. My log looks quite strange actually. The first thing I noticed is that Eminence healing is affected by the +20% healing of Wise Serpent Stance, which means you're really doing 120% of your damage as healing. The second thing I noticed is that SZ Eminence is distributed very oddly. It's going out in small packets of about 2000 heals, but who it targets appears rather random, since it is hitting the same person multiple times. Although perhaps this is just a log-ordering issue?

(This is excluding statue heals... add 'and spell="Eminence (Statue)"' after the 'spell="Eminence"' to see statue heals)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...ce%22%29%29%29
    Last edited by DirewolfX; 2012-11-19 at 02:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Do both of you really need to attack each other personally over this? I don't feel like that's productive.

I took a look at my WoL and I saw that I'm getting a lot of hits of Eminence--more than once per damaging event, but it's definitely not 50% of the auto-attack hit to everyone within range of me. My log looks quite strange actually. The first thing I noticed is that Eminence healing is affected by the +20% healing of Wise Serpent Stance, which means you're really doing 120% of your damage as healing. The second thing I noticed is that SZ Eminence is distributed very oddly. It's going out in small packets of about 2000 heals, but who it targets appears rather random, since it is hitting the same person multiple times. Although perhaps this is just a log-ordering issue?

(This is excluding statue heals... add 'and spell="Eminence (Statue)"' after the 'spell="Eminence"' to see statue heals)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...ce%22%29%29%29
    It's nothing personal, but if you're solely comparing throughput without regard for the nature of the situation or heal then you have a pretty huge shortfalling when it comes to understanding healing.

It's not an order issue, look at the time stamps - my guess is there's a target cap but there's definitely multiple people being healed and those receiving replicate heals are still the lowest health after the initial eminence hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    That's why we're specifically talking about Garalon, which has persistant raid-wide damage on every member of the raid.
    No, you're talking specifically about Garalon, whereas I'm attempting to provide more general advice. After having already said that "in the case where everyone is taking damage, yes uplift is awesome."

Why you insist on continuing to try to prove me wrong about something we both agree on I cannot understand.

I use Chi-Wave on CD when I know its a fight we won't be stacked up for. I do like how it bounces around. I use it first on a tank that needs healing and it will bounce around to whoever after that. I generate a lot of chi so debating on what to spend my chi on between Chi-Wave and Uplift really isn't a concern for me. However when its a fight I know the majority of us will be grouped up I use Zen Sphere instead.