Thread: Marauder 1.5

10+ Year Old Account

Marauder 1.5

With 1.5 hitting tomorrow is annihilation still going to be the better dps for ops?

Annihilation and Carnage have been on equal footing for quite awhile now. The only difference really is the skill of the player using those two specs. Some people seem to find Annihilation easier to do good damage with and others prefer Carnage. They both have the same potential.

this maybe a rather pointless post, but I wanted to underline that arlee told correct - both speccs can pull great performance and it depends on the player himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Annihilation and Carnage have been on equal footing for quite awhile now. The only difference really is the skill of the player using those two specs. Some people seem to find Annihilation easier to do good damage with and others prefer Carnage. They both have the same potential.

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah ok thank you very much. I like the carnage playstyle but all the things I read say anni because dots are better and carnage is bad because it is burst.

Deleted
    I would not rule out rage spec - As a Mara, I am rage spec, and I do plenty of FP / PVP, and with the massive 6k smash crits / on multiple targets and on single target its also a great spec. When every i play PVP i can get more dps out of my rage spec. Im not saying its better or worse then the other 2 but it should not be completely ruled out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethorien View Post
    I would not rule out rage spec - As a Mara, I am rage spec, and I do plenty of FP / PVP, and with the massive 6k smash crits / on multiple targets and on single target its also a great spec. When every i play PVP i can get more dps out of my rage spec. Im not saying its better or worse then the other 2 but it should not be completely ruled out.
    Well I had decided to ask as I'm switching from a juggernaut to a marauder and it is all pretty new to me still. I remember my marauder friend really liked rage for the same reasons you do but he's long since quit.

Deleted
    its great to level with - force leap boom, smash, all dead - no other spec can u kill mutiple targets with 1 hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    its great to level with - force leap boom, smash, all dead - no other spec can u kill mutiple targets with 1 hit.
    Really? I have been leveling as carnage and it does feel a bit slow. Was gonna try annihilation.

Deleted
    I know your only leveling, so you wont be that far down your tree yet, most specs wont really start pumping out massive DPS until level 40 odd. Annilation will most likely keep you alive longer, meaning you can solo some heroic missions etc. With Mara, your best comp is quin, gear him nice and hell keep you alive!

If you do want to enjoy rage spec level and not all that fussed on the healing qualitys of ann then, by all means have some fun with carnage and rage

RAGE WISE -

If you have say 20 points in the rage tree then you will be able to see nice crits on your smashes, but in theory certainly on normal mobs they should go down with 1 smash crit. Check your rage tree, make sure you put points in shockwave and beserker - if you then activate frenzy, granting you 30 stacks of fury (providing of course you dont already have 30 stakcs) then hit berserker, this will give you 4 shockwave, as a buff, then if you force leap into a mob or a pack of mobs and hit smash, boom - urll get a crit, large enough to take out the lower mobs in a single hit, providing your gear is semi decent. You should be able to get 2 large crits every 30 odd seconds if not less! depending on how quick u build fury - Note your force choke providing you spend on it will also grant shockwave, and obliterate will give your next smash a crit! - I know it sounds complex but urll get it after a while, and when you do, urll love it. Im level 50 and a well geared mara, and i can leap into a pack of 5 mobs, and kill them all with 1 smash which will crit for 5.2 / 5.9k - the tougher mobs urll need a few more whacks of ur saber. You can not kill 4/5 instantly in any other mara spec. I will say that with ann, ur likely to live longer because espcaping and self healing aspect of the spec do enable you to stay alive for longer but, with quin at my side i love rage. Its great in pvp also. Other mara's might argue against me, but i was ann from 1-50, then i was carnage for 4/5 months - now im rage unless anything major changes i wont go back. Just stack power at level 50, with a good amount of accurancy and surge, crits not that important in groups because u have a crit group buff of 5%- Like for like 20 streght vs 20 power, you get slightly more dmg per strike stacking power, its a tiny amount but it adds up - I have over 1000 power - sadly i dont know why but mara gear end game is all crit / surge??? - so i have to pinch jug mods and equip for power. Some people might argue agaist this and say stack strenght and crit, but really there cant be many about who have done both unless they have millions to waste remodding. Hope this helps - apologies if this is all a bit crazy thrown together but at work, and dont have time to make it all look pretty
    Last edited by mmoc7b1b5106fe; 2012-11-15 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know your only leveling, so you wont be that far down your tree yet, most specs wont really start pumping out massive DPS until level 40 odd. Annilation will most likely keep you alive longer, meaning you can solo some heroic missions etc. With Mara, your best comp is quin, gear him nice and hell keep you alive!

If you do want to enjoy rage spec level and not all that fussed on the healing qualitys of ann then, by all means have some fun with carnage and rage

RAGE WISE -

If you have say 20 points in the rage tree then you will be able to see nice crits on your smashes, but in theory certainly on normal mobs they should go down with 1 smash crit. Check your rage tree, make sure you put points in shockwave and beserker - if you then activate frenzy, granting you 30 stacks of fury (providing of course you dont already have 30 stakcs) then hit berserker, this will give you 4 shockwave, as a buff, then if you force leap into a mob or a pack of mobs and hit smash, boom - urll get a crit, large enough to take out the lower mobs in a single hit, providing your gear is semi decent. You should be able to get 2 large crits every 30 odd seconds if not less! depending on how quick u build fury - Note your force choke providing you spend on it will also grant shockwave, and obliterate will give your next smash a crit! - I know it sounds complex but urll get it after a while, and when you do, urll love it. Im level 50 and a well geared mara, and i can leap into a pack of 5 mobs, and kill them all with 1 smash which will crit for 5.2 / 5.9k - the tougher mobs urll need a few more whacks of ur saber. You can not kill 4/5 instantly in any other mara spec. I will say that with ann, ur likely to live longer because espcaping and self healing aspect of the spec do enable you to stay alive for longer but, with quin at my side i love rage. Its great in pvp also. Other mara's might argue against me, but i was ann from 1-50, then i was carnage for 4/5 months - now im rage unless anything major changes i wont go back. Just stack power at level 50, with a good amount of accurancy and surge, crits not that important in groups because u have a crit group buff of 5%- Like for like 20 streght vs 20 power, you get slightly more dmg per strike stacking power, its a tiny amount but it adds up - I have over 1000 power - sadly i dont know why but mara gear end game is all crit / surge??? - so i have to pinch jug mods and equip for power. Some people might argue agaist this and say stack strenght and crit, but really there cant be many about who have done both unless they have millions to waste remodding. Hope this helps - apologies if this is all a bit crazy thrown together but at work, and dont have time to make it all look pretty
    Im currently level 45 on my marauder. Been leveling as carnage the entire time I feel like changing it up because pretty much the only real way to kill most things after awhile is pop berserk and go to town with massacre(the final teir carnage move can't remember name haha.) But all that stuff you said about rage has made it quite intriguing. If i may how is rage in pvp? And is annihilation/carnage good for it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    And is annihilation/carnage good for it as well?
    I personally prefer Carnage in PvP, though I honestly haven't tried Rage in PvP in awhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally prefer Carnage in PvP, though I honestly haven't tried Rage in PvP in awhile.
    Carnage has always seemed real nice for pvp. But annihilation has some sweet mobility/self heals from what I can tell.

Personally I'm not a rage fan it feels rather clunky to me. In PVE Annihilation is still puts out tops dps IF you don't have to target switch or move. But Annihilation takes time to build up and if you have to stop and move away from the target or switch to other targets you have to start over again. This is where Carnage becomes just as good or arguably better than Annihilation. With more fights in Ops requiring target switches and movement to avoid effects and people overgearing flashpoints Annihilations dps is looking lower since there is not nearly as much uptime on target. In conclusion, Annihilation shines when you can have a lot of uptime on target and Carnage does better when there is a lot of target switching and movement due to the bursty nature of its dps.

In PvP I play as annihilation. I love the survivability and I still hit like a truck. Lately I've seen a lot of Smash and Carnage marauders in WZ's and they put up impressive numbers but they're to squishy and I tend to destroy them whenever I run across them. In rateds Carnage is popular for its utility and Rage spec is useful for its ability to help burst down targets. People tend to overlook Annihilation in rateds though since they need build up to maximized dps and if their dots are cleansed they do signifigantly less dps. If you use an annihilation marauder correctly by having them harrass healers, forcing them to spend every third global cleansing themselves, constantly being interrupted, needing to be guarded, and having people trying to peel the marauder off of them it makes it signifigantly easier for the rest of the team who are focusing on the burst targets.
    Is that your blood?
    Some of it, yeah.