Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Single player RPG like world of warcraft

I haven't been able to play world of warcraft for about a year now. I have those weird urges to start playing again but I rather not. You see, I am weak, and if I start I'll be consumed by it again and I'll play for waaaay too long.

Single player games do not have that on me, as they are not endless like wow is.

What I am looking for is a RPG game that has the same loot system like world of warcraft. I mean items are not randomly generated with random stats on it. Diablo and similar clones are too random for my tastes. It's ok if I kill some boss type thing or whatever and it does not drop a great item, but relying on the item dropping AND having the luck of the draw on it's stats isn't my thing.

So is there a game like that out there that is single player, for the PC obviously as I do not own any consoles?

You can try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, good combat, talent points, story line, side quests! I have enjoyed it thoroughly!

Deleted
    Torchlight II? it is not that wowish it is more like Diablo II but better.
    Demon Souls /dark Souls?

Deleted
    Uh... Play WoW?
    But seriously, if you like WoW, go play it. If you're too afraid to get caught up in it again, just don't play it. But don't get another game similar to WoW because it'll get you addicted again and the game itself is probably worse.
    I hope this helped you. If not, I hope you realize YOU are the one controlling your life. Not Wow, Blizzard or anything or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCDante View Post
    What I am looking for is a RPG game that has the same loot system like world of warcraft. I mean items are not randomly generated with random stats on it. Diablo and similar clones are too random for my tastes. It's ok if I kill some boss type thing or whatever and it does not drop a great item, but relying on the item dropping AND having the luck of the draw on it's stats isn't my thing.
    On top of that there is no finesse in the rng items It's all too messy.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    Torchlight II? it is not that wowish it is more like Diablo II but better.
    Demon Souls /dark Souls?
    Keep in mind of Dark souls / Demon souls, You are going to die so many times and you likely to punch something out of frustration. It's one of the greatest games BUT IT'S HARD which is a good thing haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon age 1 & 2 are both fantastic games! The gameplay and skills are almost identical to wow, but with an incredible storyline, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozar View Post
    Dragon age 1 & 2 are both fantastic games! The gameplay and skills are almost identical to wow, but with an incredible storyline, check it out.
    Except it's not like WoW at all.

The closest single player RPG to WoW is Kingdoms of Amalur, even the graphics style . Other free roam RPGS are : Elder Scrolls series, Two Worlds series, Gothic series.Those are the more current ones from the top of my head.

Kingdoms of Amalur is super similar to WoW, definitely go for that.

Reminds me, I never completed that game... It's huuuuuuuuge, goes on forever. Pretty fun though, combat system is like Fable, but has a loot system like WoW and a bunch of quests, side quests.

Deleted
    You should try some games of the Hack and Slay genre, such as:

- Sacred
    - Titan Quest
    - Torchlight I & II.

You could also try the newer Fallout games (Fallout 3 & New Vegas); Items play a big role in these games.

You could go to the roots and start looking from there. WoW is based on EQ, which was competing with Meridian 59, which was made by 3DO, same company which made Might and Magic series.

Try Might and Magic VI for starters (it isn't much outdated really). You will be surprised at how much current MMOs degraded. Castle Darkmoor and Tomb of VARN will be enough to prove it to you :P If you are more hardcore, you could try Demise: Rise of the Ku'than, quite old game and purely dungeon-based. Those games don't have that deep loot system though, more emphasis is being put on actual dungeons.

You could try Dungeon Siege II Broken World, even though people call it Diablo clone, I'd call it "party simulator" (though you can play it solo mode which will be harder). Loot part might look random to you at first, but name of item always describes it stats, and all stat rolls are "always perfect". Stat system might look too simple at first, but in fact it is quite flexible, but also quite unforgiving (can't fully unmake bad choices in developing characters).

Also there is some promising project Legends of Dawn. Not much is known about it, though it might look exactly like what you describe.

Btw, anyone here played Dungeon Lords MMXII? I didn't play original back in time (as it had awful compatibility), it might look what OP looks for, but more info on this game would be nice to have.

EditL to Deathloc, I wouldn't really advice Sacred at all whatsoever, as it has exactly what OP doesn't want. Sacred is very generic in everything, Arsenic Armor might mean chest with 12 physical armor, or might mean chest with 1250 physical armor and some socket. Add to this constant "world scales to player's level", and game, which had great potential, failed miserably due to being way too generic in it's core.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2012-11-15 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Kingdoms of Amalur is super similar to WoW, definitely go for that.

Reminds me, I never completed that game... It's huuuuuuuuge, goes on forever. Pretty fun though, combat system is like Fable, but has a loot system like WoW and a bunch of quests, side quests.
    I also suggest Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur. Doing all the sidequests in that game will net you hundreds of hours. The size is of the land is comparable to something like Skyrim. The quest system is very similar to a traditional MMO like WoW as well. Art style is similar as well in the sense that it is more of a realistic cartoony. The big difference will be the class system, which follows talent trees like WoW, but encourages a mixture of gameplay between all 3 Paths (basically Warrior, Mage, and Rogue). Rewards are both random and static like WoW as well. Trash items will have stats based on suffixes like The Tiger or The Gorilla, while higher quality items like epics have specific names. There's also a deep crafting system that lets you create custom gear as well.

Overall, even if you're not looking for a single player RPG like WoW, KoA is a pretty tight game. Its a shame that 38 Studios sunk because that title could have evolved into an increbile franchise. It was basically everything I wanted Fable to be. However, my only complaint is that the story is fairly weak. The Lore of the land is incredible, but the story the main character is involved in was fairly bland. Gameplay and scope more than made up for it though.

Thank you on most of your replies, I will be picking up Kingdoms of Amalur then.

Much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    A good purchase. Its probably also VERY cheap. =)

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga is very similar to wow in play style, but it's a single player game.
    You have to click to attack and can dodge enemy attacks, but your specials are activated with hot keys like in wow.

AND YOU CAN BECOME A MOTHERFCKING DRAGON!

On steam there's a new version called Developer's Cut:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/21..._7_suggest__13
    I played the whole game and it was great.

It runs smooth, uses the Gamebryo engine (Oblivion).

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    A good purchase. Its probably also VERY cheap. =)
    $60 on Steam, $40-50 from various online vendors. There's also a free demo on Steam.

Gotta say, I tried out the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur based on recommendations in this thread, and was instantly hooked. It's like they took all the cool stuff from WoW, Skyrim, and DnD and put it into this game. Definitely worth at least checking out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga is very similar to wow in play style, but it's a single player game.
    You have to click to attack and can dodge enemy attacks, but your specials are activated with hot keys like in wow.

AND YOU CAN BECOME A MOTHERFCKING DRAGON!

On steam there's a new version called Developer's Cut:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/21..._7_suggest__13
    I played the whole game and it was great.

It runs smooth, uses the Gamebryo engine (Oblivion).
    Do you need to have played divinity 1 in order to experience the full story?

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    No this is a totally new story.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    define how close to wow you want to be.

If you want to be massively multiplayer, GW2 is probably a safe bet, since it does not involve monthy subs. Consider also LOTRO or SWToR, both are F2P games, with optional cash shop.

As solo play, as many have advise Torchlight 2, dragon age, reckoning.

I would recommend also bethesda RPG (Skyrim and Fallout 3), they are fantastic although quite different from wow in term of gameplay but you might enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    It is not necessary. However, Divinity features non-respawning mobs with all the bad consequences (like save-scumming, etc.). Just so you know.