Deleted

Blood tier 5 talents discussion

Hey guys,

I have over the last few days been re-rolling blood and I've been doing a fair amount of research on specs and all the usual stuff and for my tier 5 talent I chose Runic Corruption, it's worked well but a friend of mine is a veteran blood dk and he told me that runic empowerment is better if you "game runic empowerment" which as I understand is dumping your runic power while leaving up one blood rune so it always procs a death rune. This made sense to me at the time, and looking back at elitist jerks they say that empowerment is better for dps. So bearing this in mind I checked the armouries of two good blood death knights that I could think of off the top of my head, these were Riggnaros of Blood Legion and of course, Mione and both of their blood specs are using Runic Corruption. So: Which is better for damage? Which is better for survival? Or which is better for both/in general?

I did put links to the armouries and elitist jerks in this post but apparently I am yet to post a few times so I'm not allowed.

Blood Tap: full control, but least runes overall (not 100% certain on this, maybe RC is less).
    Runic Empowerment: very RNG, but most runes overall.
    Runic Corruption: consistent rune regeneration, requires no attention.

As RE is most runes overall, it will yield the highest dps. Your death strikes will be more randomly spread though. If you go blood tap, you often have a death strike ready right when you want one. RC just increases the amount of death strikes you get steadily, smoothing out the damage intake a bit, and requires no attention so you can focus on other stuff more. They are all viable, so pick what feels best for you.

Deleted
    EJ has RC as the lowest rune return of the three, which is a bit of a deterrent. If it is as simple as "choose the one you like" I would have thought that the best players in the world would pick the one's that are technically better but require thought, as opposed to what you're making RC sound like which is the one that isn't as good, but you don't have to think about it.

You're approaching this as a dps would. For dps, its just maths, x is better than y if executed correctly so go x if you can, for example. Tanking is not as black and white, though. Easy example, stacking mastery. Mastery is control over your survivability, while avoidance stacking takes less damage overall. Most high-end tanks go for mastery, because they want the control. The tier 5 talents work along these lines, and are extremely well balanced imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking is all about timing your Death Strikes to avoid/counter high damage spikes. While some random proccs might result in more Strikes and lesser damage taken overall, Blood Tap gives you perfect control over aditional strikes.
    Not that the other two talents are bad, they do what they do and if one of them fits your playstyle better, for all that is good, take it. But in my opinion, Blood Tap just fits more into the reactive damage desing Death Knights are build about.

RC is the lowest rune return of the three, but the total spread from Best to Worst is something like 4%. that's not even significant - over a 9 minute fight, you're going to get more runes simply based on having good RNG than the difference between the three rune regeneration mechanics. pick the one that feels "right" to your playstyle.

personally, i prefer RC simply because it's much more fluid than the other two. my runes come back at the same time, i don't have to sit on blood or death runes.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mathematicly:
    100 rune strikes with the blood tap talent grants you 40 extra runes
    100 rune strikes with the runic empowerment talent grants you 45 extra runes
    100 rune strikes with the runic corruption talent grants you 45 times double rune regeneration for 3 seconds for a total of 135 seconds. That's 13.5 of each rune, so 40.5 runes.

This is pure math though, probably best to grab blood tap and use it when needed for survivability purpose, or grab runic corruption so you don't have to fit random runes in constantly.
    Last edited by Pieterman; 2012-11-08 at 04:05 PM.

Personally I prefer bloodtap, I'd use RE or RC if we still had the old bloodtap for added control, but we don't so the added control just feels right to me. It took a while to get used to manually activating runes, but I just can't subject myself to RNG without an sort of control over it. (If we dislike avoidance compared to our mastery because it's unreliable, then why would we like RE/RC over BT when they are unreliable as well.)

Blood Tap if you can really handle the extra cd.
    RC otherwise.
    Imo Runic Empowerment doesn't work well for blood since it forces you to use DS at inappopriate times to get the maximum benefit out of it. The gaming as we did in Cata doesn't work anymore since we no longer have both Blood Tap and Runic Empowerment (and Plague Leech is a bad replacment for Blood Tap).

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    imo runic corruption is the best for QoL tanking. it creates a very consistent rotation which is important for DS timing.

rig, who's probably the top blood tank also uses it (if that matters to you, it might not)...
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...naros/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Definately prefer RC, requires no attention and its not as random as RE