Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    In LOTR, you can see lots of fireworks, but then nobody uses cannons. A world with magic doesn't need to make sense technologically. You can fire a gun, throw fireballs or enchanted daggers. If the writer wants, all of those cause the same damage. Why? Because it's a fantasy world.

Those who don't know how to use a sword or cast spells can take a gun, but in this universe, lorewise, magic and enchanted weapons are usually much more powerful. Few main lore characters use guns, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give a Swordmaster, who has trained his swordskills for years and years "a superior gun" and send him to a gun fight. How effective do you think he can fight without his swords?

You live in world with magic. You wear a magical armor, have a magical sword and are attacked by someone with a normal gun. Do you really think, a normal gun could just penetrate armor infused with magic? If not, how easy do you think it would be to mass create magical guns?

Also, gameplay. Why do you think bosses enrage? Do you think they toy with us 10 minutes long and then think "*yawn* you are boring, I just now kill you with my full power"? It's a gameplay mechanic to not have endless fights. It is also a gameplay mechanic that swords are basically equal to guns in a fight.

I prefered the Wow to be less industrial, and more like a fantasy world. It's okay with goblins/engineers having some special items, but having a full fledge ever functional chopper is wrong. If it still broke down sometimes it would be fine with me.
    But suddenly they make perfect, presentday technology, which is kinda boring.
    Coming into a fantasy universe, to see what you can see when you look out of the window... apart from dragons, goblins, elves etc <.<

I don't care for the damage their weapons do, i just think it makes it more everyday like and less special :P

<Makes grampa sounds chomping on his pipe>
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I'll just put these two things here:

1) In Azeroth, you can take a sword to a gunfight and it's not unreasonable for you to win.

2) In real life, guns were developed well over 600 years ago. That puts them smack into the middle ages, in case you're wondering.
    If there's anything unrealistic, it's the huge amount of pseudo-middle-age settings without guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    But... gunpowder revolutionised warfare like few other inventions before. Even the most primitive of guns, who were very inefficient, slow, inaccurate and dangerous to use on top, were so effective on the battlefield that it gave small armies the chance to completely annihilate massive armies and conquer and enslave nations that had tenfold their own population. So yeah... putting an untrained scrub teenager with a gun against a "swordmaster" is probably going to end with the swordmaster bleeding out in the gutter...
    Not when WoW's guns can only shoot a maximum of forty yards and WoW's swordmasters can jump that far.

But... gunpowder revolutionised warfare like few other inventions before. Even the most primitive of guns, who were very inefficient, slow, inaccurate and dangerous to use on top, were so effective on the battlefield that it gave small armies the chance to completely annihilate massive armies and conquer and enslave nations that had tenfold their own population. So yeah... putting an untrained scrub teenager with a gun against a "swordmaster" is probably going to end with the swordmaster bleeding out in the gutter...
    No, no they weren't. The most primitive of guns couldn't even pierce any halfway serious armor, regularly failed to fire, could not take humidity etc..

Remember, the first guns came in the 14th century. The guns you're thinking of didn't come until several centuries later.

On that note, even a modern 9mm pistol still has trouble beyond 50 yards.

Deleted
    None of the lore really points towards wow being completely medi-eval,

All the technology is also either steampunk style (goblins/gnomes) or magical (Titan architecture), just look at Elegons room in MSV and Tempest Keep, they look very futuristic but look closer and they are not real world types of futuristic, they are more magic than technology.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    No, no one can say that a sword is a better weapon than a gun especially the guns in WoW. Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun. Plus some of them have giant bayonets attached. There is No reason to still use bows/swords when you got that kind of weaponry laying around.
    You try to apply real world logic onto a game. If a shot could kill a being from the world of warcraft, everyone would use guns. Its not. You can survive frostbolt into your face, get hammered, a few hundread kg warrior charging on top of you, getting stabbed repeteadly etc.

Its fantasy game in a fantasy world. Don't force real world's rules into the game.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing about WoW that has never made sense to me is all the technology in this game. I was always under the impression that the world we play in was some kind of medieval fantasy type setting like LoTR but I was way wrong.

Blizz has gone way overboard with all the tech in this game in the last few expacs. Everything from motorcycles, to helicopters, to hover rockets ect I mean what next? Jet planes? Computers? Are we going to be seeing Garrosh log into his facebook on his ipad while he's bored in Org? Will we see Thrall calling up Aggra on his new Samsung Galaxy S to check in on her?

There is technology in this game that even surpasses things we have in the real world, like all these robotics we see in the game. I don't know about you guys but I've never seen anyone riding around on hovering rockets to get to work.

That's the thing though, if the citizens of Azeroth have access to all this technology why even bother using swords,shields, bows and all that kind of primitive weaponry? Why not just pick up a gun since history has shown them to be a far superior weapon? Never bring a knife to gun fight anyone? You have rockets, bombs, guns all at your disposal yet you still decide to to use axes and swords? Why?

Anyone else feel the technology in the World...of Warcraft is out of control and breaks the immersion a little bit?
    Ok FIRST, jumping from motorcycles, helicopters and rockets to planes, computers and smartphones.... is a little rediculous.

Second, since when was the Warcraft universe supposed to be like real life?

My third bolded section is pretty much answered by my second point...if it we're real life hunters would kill everyone pretty much instantly....except for plate wearers etc...

Here we go again. These topics always pop up from time to time.
    In my opinion, It's a fantasy world, so it doesn't matter what they do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no one can say that a sword is a better weapon than a gun especially the guns in WoW. Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun. Plus some of them have giant bayonets attached. There is No reason to still use bows/swords when you got that kind of weaponry laying around.
    Because bow's are on par with guns (Shoot an arrow into someone, it hurt's like F and it takes ages to get out. Shoot a pellet/bullet into someone and it hardly affects your movement, but still hurts.)
    Guns are more expensive than swords and bows. A sword is more effective than a bayonette.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    This rubbed me the wrong way.

I had to convince myself to reply to this a bit... because after all I assume this forum has all sorts of users from age 9 up to 60+ ... and this comment seemed to be something I would've said when I was a 13yo girl with a love for fantasy and action figures and too much imagination myself.

That's not even what I meant.

You live in a world of constant warfare. And according to this thread, more and more technology appears. So why don't they all use guns?

You basically get three options:

1.) Let them use the weapons they were using for years and are experienced with.
    2.) Give all of them guns which most have probably never used. How effective do you think someone who never used a gun will be in war? You have to take into account how big the guns are, they have recoil, you need ammunition, blackpowder and what not. If you have fought years with a sword or an axe you didn't have to pay attention to those things.
    3.) Train them to use guns, but that takes time and because of the constant warfare you don't have this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'll just put these two things here:

1) In Azeroth, you can take a sword to a gunfight and it's not unreasonable for you to win.

2) In real life, guns were developed well over 600 years ago. That puts them smack into the middle ages, in case you're wondering.
    If there's anything unrealistic, it's the huge amount of pseudo-middle-age settings without guns.
    Have to disagree. Though there is no "end" to the middle ages, commonly its taken between 1450 (fall of constantinople) over discovering america (1492) to the beginning of the reformation (1512). In europe gunpowder was invented in 1324, but it took a long time til guns were used. Artillery was used earlier (an example would be constantinople), but for hand fire rifles it took much more time. Because of reloading and also the materials used, crossbows were used much longer. So technically the use of gunpowder in higher quantity IS the end of the middle ages.

Also most middle ages creation use the high middle age which has taken place from 1050 to 1250. At least as long as you go for knights, mounted warriors, castles etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw. why do the Jedi use Lightsabers instead of superior Laserguns?

Or why don't all protoss shoot lasers, some, like the Zealots or Dark Templers, are using energy blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    All through the lore, there has been some amount of technology. Gnomes have been around since the beginning, and anywhere they end up, there are crazy gadgets. The Horde are just now starting to get technology due to the goblins joining them and sharing their knowledge. Anyways, the settings is "early-steampunk" rather than medieval fantasy. Plus, the devices don't rely on actual 'tech', or what we'd think of it anyways. It's 'tech' that infuses and manipulates magic, allowing them to build transporters and flying machines, but not computers and 'the internet'.

Plus.. War tends to make technology advance faster, and, well, the citizens of Azeroth are in a constant state of war.
    Pretty much this !

The Warcraft-Universe was always pretty steam-punkish and had some far advanced technology that was based on/fueled by/fused with magic - and I actually love it for it and find this much more interesting than a "plain" medieval fantasy setting !

To each his/her own, I guess . . .

it's called magic weapons and magic armor, you need magic weapons to pierce through magic armor, the more powerful the armor, the more powerful the weapons need to be.

you cant try to rationalise magic against real life, it just doesn't work i'm afraid.

edit: i love the steampunkery in wow, it's what made it so appealing to me (aside from the cartoony style) and what made it stand out from other "medieval" type sword and magic games.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I agree fully! I personally don't use any of those mounts, haven't got any even.
    I don't find it fitting in the wow universe.
    Except you don't decide what or what isn't fitting to an universe that isn't your possession.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

You're trying to justify why things are a certain way... in a fantasy game...a...game. Seems to be your problem. Yeah, it makes no sense how that game doesn't follow the rules of reality, man.

Why not use guns and bombs? Because. It's. A. Game. A. Fantasy. World.

I'm pretty sure if there are mages that can move an entire city, or a giant portal from one planet to another and demi gods and titans and old gods and fucking crazy shit like that, that probably could care less about any of that stuff.

I was always under the impression that the world we play in was some kind of medieval fantasy type setting like LoTR but I was way wrong.
    Your expectation of what Azeroth was supposed to be was wrong, but that's no one's fault but your own, really. If you want to see an MMO with over-the-top technology in a high fantasy setting, check out RIFT. Hell, check out all the awesomeness of the machines in Storm Legion. Now if it was like that in World of Warcraft, I might have a bit of an issue. But the tech in Warcraft has been about like it is for a decent long while now. It's part of the Azerothian feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Have to disagree. Though there is no "end" to the middle ages, commonly its taken between 1450 (fall of constantinople) over discovering america (1492) to the beginning of the reformation (1512). In europe gunpowder was invented in 1324, but it took a long time til guns were used. Artillery was used earlier (an example would be constantinople), but for hand fire rifles it took much more time. Because of reloading and also the materials used, crossbows were used much longer. So technically the use of gunpowder in higher quantity IS the end of the middle ages.

Also most middle ages creation use the high middle age which has taken place from 1050 to 1250. At least as long as you go for knights, mounted warriors, castles etc.
    Yes, crossbows were used longer, because they worked (better). But handguns were available well before the middle ages and the 14th century, for that matter, ended.

I'd also disagree with your second assertion... while they may claim "high" middle ages, they are far more often set in late MA, if only because the author didn't do his research properly. Knights, castles and mounted warriors were around in both, anyway, with only the knights phasing out as the middle ages gave way to the renessaince, castles staying till the 17th century(when guns finally got strong enough to topple them easily) and mounted warriors even longer.