Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Yes it does work that way. Ignoring logic and consistency just because magic exists in the setting is plain bad writing. It's not just "anything goes."
    It's also not real life.

Otherwise I'd be outside right now riding my flying mount around and throwing lightning bolts at people instead of sitting at my computer doing it in game.

Deleted
    I wish people would stop using the term "steampunk" for WoW. Steampunk is a completely different animal, and while a steampunk setting may have some fantasy flavor, the genre is steampunk, not fantasy. Mainly steampunk is sci-fi or alternate reality/history.

WoW on the other hand is quite firmly in the fantasy genre, even though it has some scientific elements. It's not steampunk, and even the scientific/techno elements of WoW aren't steampunk. Steam, yes. Punk? Not so much. Just because something is powered by steam, it doesn't mean it's steampunk. Steam-powered trains and ships weren't steampunk. They were just old, and used steam as their power source.

Even technofantasy doesn't work for WoW, since most technofantasy settings are science fiction with magic.

Just because you've heard the term "steampunk" somewhere and seen someone use it to describe WoW, or the "techno" elements in WoW, it doesn't mean it has been used correctly. WoW isn't steampunk. WoW's technology isn't steampunk. WoW is just fantasy with some science added in.

I could summarize it like this: WoW is steampunk just as much as every science fiction is cyberpunk. In other words, not quite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    I don't know guys, all this Technology seems to be a giant flaw on Blizzards part when they were making this game. The game developers were smart enough to notice that you can't have Pandaren be a druid because it wouldn't make sense for a bear to turn into a bear. However they were not smart enough to notice that gun wielders vs sword wielders would simply not be a fair fight.
    I'm pretty sure a warrior in wow can dodge a bullet fired from a hunter. I'ts a fantasy setting. Paladins using swords can put up shields that deflect bullets.

This isn't an FPS.

IMO the main reason why it has all this is, it adds colour and variation to the lore and to the world, and it also allows people to choose how they want to play.
    The tech is powered by magic. it's nothing like our modern world tech. It has crystal robots, floating shards of light and laser beams coming out of people's hands.

Personally i can't see how this inclusion of tech that fits well in the lore and the game can in any way break the imersion, since this is all part of a world that you are imerssed in.

If you want to play a game where it's all medi-eval warfare, don't play wow.

One other game that comes to mind with all this is Final Fantasy. Do you complain in the same way about that? They're fantasy games, just like wow is a fantasy game. They don't need to abide by real world rules and they're more fun by not doing so.

I agree the magic has a lot to do with it, but when you have guns why use swords? that's what I'm asking.
    Guns and their amunition are much harder to produce, especially in large numbers.

Yes it does work that way. Ignoring logic and consistency just because magic exists in the setting is plain bad writing. It's not just "anything goes."
    It's a fantasy world, it makes it's own logic. That's kind of the point of it being it's own world, and not just Earth with green skinned men.

Think about it. What can be done in this game? I can turn a fifteen foot man into a sheep. I can stand in the middle of a open field, in daylight, and be completely invisible. I can summon a big breasted demon from another otherworldly dimension. I killed a dragon whose BLOOD was beating the junk out of me. I am now running a farm in a region that grows twenty foot tall turnips.

How does any of that have "logic"? What is "real" about any of that? It's not, it's larger then life. That's the point.

In this world, a gun is just as useful as a bow, and a guy using a rifle can have his bullets shrugged off by a warrior who can chase after you while spinning around on one leg with such g-forces that his axe should fly right out of his hand comically into the distance.

I find the Warcraft world far less jarring than the SWTOR world which makes even less sense on multiple levels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    It's also not real life.

Otherwise I'd be outside right now riding my flying mount around and throwing lightning bolts at people instead of sitting at my computer doing it in game.
    No it isn't real life. It's got magic and dragons and steampunk robots. So how on earth are swords still as relevant as they were in the middle ages in the real world?

Gyrocopters have been part of the Warcraft universe since Warcraft II. Robots and computers have been a thing since Vanilla World of Warcraft. Technology is simply part of the world, and your ideas of how it should be doesn't change any of that.

I suspect the reason we're still using swords and shields in the presence of guns and rockets is because it's a Fantasy World.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    It's a fantasy world, it makes it's own logic. That's kind of the point of it being it's own world, and not just Earth with green skinned men.

Think about it. What can be done in this game? I can turn a fifteen foot man into a sheep. I can stand in the middle of a open field, in daylight, and be completely invisible. I can summon a big breasted demon from another otherworldly dimension. I killed a dragon whose BLOOD was beating the junk out of me. I am now running a farm in a region that grows twenty foot tall turnips.

How does any of that have "logic"? What is "real" about any of that? It's not, it's larger then life. That's the point.

In this world, a gun is just as useful as a bow, and a guy using a rifle can have his bullets shrugged off by a warrior who can chase after you while spinning around on one leg with such g-forces that his axe should fly right out of his hand comically into the distance.
    Yes you can do all of those things, but there's explanations for them that make sense within the established rules of the universe. Killing a dragon who's blood is attacking you sounds pretty whacky sure, but there's a massively detailed backstory for this dragon all of which culminates in it's blood attacking you. There is no lore or internal logic telling us why swords are still a valid means to counter a laser gun. In Vanilla there was an explanation. Goblin tech exploded too much for anyone other than goblins to consider using it, gnomes were probably too cautious to unleash their full technological potential after what happened in Gnomeregan with nuclear power, Titan tech was unavailable to mortals and dwarven siege weaponry hadn't really been around for too long. Now though goblin tech seems to have stabilised enough to provide the baseline for the Horde military power, gnomes have gnomeregan back at least partially, we've taken over several titan facilities and dwarven machinery has been around for a lot longer now.

Yes you can do all of those things, but there's explanations for them that make sense within the established rules of the universe. Killing a dragon who's blood is attacking you sounds pretty whacky sure, but there's a massively detailed backstory for this dragon all of which culminates in it's blood attacking you. There is no lore or internal logic telling us why swords are still a valid means to counter a laser gun. In Vanilla there was an explanation. Goblin tech exploded too much for anyone other than goblins to consider using it, gnomes were probably too cautious to unleash their full technological potential after what happened in Gnomeregan with nuclear power, Titan tech was unavailable to mortals and dwarven siege weaponry hadn't really been around for too long. Now though goblin tech seems to have stabilised enough to provide the baseline for the Horde military power, gnomes have gnomeregan back at least partially, we've taken over several titan facilities and dwarven machinery has been around for a lot longer now.
    You may as well be arguing how plate-wearing characters are capable of moving around in their unrealistically enormous armor, wielding swords as big as themselves.

In the case where one fails to wrap their mind around the fact that World of Warcraft is a fantasy world which does not follow the same restrictions as real life, a wizard did it.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-11-15 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    In the case where one fails to wrap their mind around the fact that World of Warcraft is a fantasy world which does not follow the same restrictions as real life, a wizard did it.
    It still needs some anchors into reality, otherwise it would be just pure randomness.

I like a balance of technology in my fantasy MMORPG that included the scifi of outlands and spacegaots. This game has a little of everything. Trying to sort it all out will just ruin the experience of the game for you. Love it for what it is

15+ Year Old Account
    Gosh, I guess humanoids in games can't progress like we do irl...
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Heres my input.

I personally dislike steampunk but that wont affect my post hopefully. The problem I have with steampunk is that its usually in places we never want to see it, STV for example, its 1 of my favourite zones in WoW, so many fond memories. As of recently theres been oil rigs and such popping up everywhere it actually depresses me because it makes me think of real life and I know the aim of crapaclysm was to make me hate the game but for god sake leave my lush scenery alone!

so you are saying that the needs to stay the way it were for like 8 years ago.?

It works perfectly well in goblin areas ect, and I love it when used appropriately but at times like STV it gets waaay too intrusive and I dislike it alot. At this point id be willing to let them put DEHETA quests all over the place, where you get put in a new zoned area without the steampunk after doing some radical PETA crap to liberate the area.
    Kalimdore/Eastern kingdoms was hit by thunamis and was sundered. No shit oil are popping up everywhere. and there was Goblins digging for gems and other materials in STV, no wonder they move over to the oil, since that a main material of the warfare.

sorry for my english.
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

I've never seen someone polymorph a person in real life either, just sayin'

If magic were real anything would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    It still needs some anchors into reality, otherwise it would be just pure randomness.
    Those anchors are the fact it has familiar things attached, like societies that mirror real ones (Tauren = Native Americans), locations that feel familiar (Swamps, Jungles, etc...), while remaining grounded in it's own established design.

Guns in WarCraft were established as alternate weapons that are on par with the damaging power of bows and crossbows, and technology has been established as "on-par" with some things magic already does. There is nothing in WarCraft that has ever implied guns are more powerful then bows. You are basing that only on how the real world works, thus why people have to point out to you and others that Azeroth is not the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing about WoW that has never made sense to me is all the technology in this game. I was always under the impression that the world we play in was some kind of medieval fantasy type setting like LoTR but I was way wrong.

Blizz has gone way overboard with all the tech in this game in the last few expacs. Everything from motorcycles, to helicopters, to hover rockets ect I mean what next? Jet planes? Computers? Are we going to be seeing Garrosh log into his facebook on his ipad while he's bored in Org? Will we see Thrall calling up Aggra on his new Samsung Galaxy S to check in on her?

There is technology in this game that even surpasses things we have in the real world, like all these robotics we see in the game. I don't know about you guys but I've never seen anyone riding around on hovering rockets to get to work.

That's the thing though, if the citizens of Azeroth have access to all this technology why even bother using swords,shields, bows and all that kind of primitive weaponry? Why not just pick up a gun since history has shown them to be a far superior weapon? Never bring a knife to gun fight anyone? You have rockets, bombs, guns all at your disposal yet you still decide to to use axes and swords? Why?

Anyone else feel the technology in the World...of Warcraft is out of control and breaks the immersion a little bit?
    Helicopters since WC2. Computers and holograms since Vanilla. Space ships and giant robots since TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it isn't real life. It's got magic and dragons and steampunk robots. So how on earth are swords still as relevant as they were in the middle ages in the real world?
    Well to that I'd have to say...sure people in real life go out and kill each other with guns, but it's not like hearing of death by stabbing or being beat to death by blunt objects has disappeared. I'm not going to go searching for crime reports to see how shootings stacks up against stabbings and deaths by blunt objects, either.

Swords are still relevant because players still like to use them in their fantasy world and they look cool. If you can't shoot it, might as well hack it to death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    Well to that I'd have to say...sure people in real life go out and kill each other with guns, but it's not like hearing of death by stabbing or being beat to death by blunt objects has disappeared. I'm not going to go searching for crime reports to see how shootings stacks up against stabbings and deaths by blunt objects, either.

Swords are still relevant because players still like to use them in their fantasy world and they look cool. If you can't shoot it, might as well hack it to death.
    Well I don't claim to have any statistics with me either, but I can say with confidence that guns are more effective weapons than swords. Just because we aren't immune to them it doesn't mean that isn't the case.