Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Hospital allows women to die rather than perform an abortion

Two investigations are under way into the death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant, at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html

I'm positively appalled by this story. I don't really even know what to add that isn't immediately obvious to decent people.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just boggles my mind how "this is a Catholic country" can be said and taken so seriously in an institution that is founded and runs on science and not religion. Imo they commited murder. Just by letting the mother die. The foetus would've died anyway, so they should've saved the mothers life, like they're supposed too. Do the logical and rational thing, not the opposite. They're doctors, not priests.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-11-15 at 02:01 AM.

no words for this right now. i'll settle for disgusting for now to prevent infraction

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html

I'm positively appalled by this story. I don't really even know what to add that isn't immediately obvious to decent people.
    What exactly are you appalled by? The fact that she wasn't allowed an abortion or the fact that the doctors are too afraid of the law to provide a woman with the health care that she required?

In the 2nd case, it's possible that the doctors didn't believe she was at enough risk to warrant the termination. Unfortunately this is something that goes on at hospitals around the world daily and is part of the job (which is why the insurance costs for doctors are so high).
    Last edited by stuck4cash; 2012-11-15 at 02:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    In the 2nd case, it's possible that the doctors didn't believe she was at enough risk to warrant the termination. Unfortunately this is something that goes on at hospitals around the world daily and is part of the job (which is why the insurance costs for doctors are so high).
    If a pregnant woman feels pain or has any kind of symptom, how come would any doctor think that she was lying? I mean, there's also a thing called "tests" and, if they did test, I doubt they would say that she was okay, taking in consideration that she died.

The problem wasn't this, the problem was that the law didn't allow the doctors to abort otherwise, I'm sure, that they would have aborted.

What exactly are you appalled by?
    The part where they let a woman die for absolutely no valid reason.

What exactly are you appalled by? The fact that she wasn't allowed an abortion or the fact that the doctors are too afraid of the law to provide a woman with the health care that she required?
    can i be appalled at both?

they knew she was at risk, and that the baby was not going to live. her water had broken, they were doing frequent tests to check for fetal heartbeat. it was apparently the law that prevented them (assuming it wasn't personal beliefs that stopped them)

Deleted
    Okay, a warning, let's not bash religion, IN ANY WAY, please, this can be discussed without bashing religion.

I really wouldn't like to close the thread because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    It just boggles my mind how "this is a Catholic country" can be said and taken so seriously in an institution that is founded and runs on science and not religion. Imo they commited murder. Just by letting the mother die. The foetus would've died anyway, so they should've saved the mothers life, like they're supposed too. Do the logical and rational thing, not the opposite. They're doctors, not priests.
    Agreed, a doctors purpose is to save lives and here they did the exact opposite. They already diagnosed her with a miscarriage so they knew the fetus was dead/dieing so the only right thing to do would be to remove the fetus and hopefully save the mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    hopefully there will be consequences for the hospital.
    And a change in whatever "law" made this possible.

I think in scenarios such as these, one simply needs to step back and think about one thing: what is the decent, HUMAN thing to do? It's as simple as using one's intuition without inhibitions etc. If your reasoning dictates that the mother's life is a worthy risk to bring another life into the world then so be it. But if both are at danger and the child is the likelier to die of the two then it's damn obvious what needs to be done.

In such a case I don't think any religion in the entire world dictates that you should sacrifice both the mother and child.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

There needs to be manslaughter charges.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.

Secret option C: Both. Seriously. I think that IS or it SHOULD be criminal.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is crazy. As far as I know most pro-lifers still agree it should be done if the life of the mother is in danger, so the fact this happened is appalling.

I hope this gives them the kick they need to change whatever laws caused this to happen in the first place.

What does dying from E.coli have to do with her not being granted an abortion?

The saddest part is, that if Mitt Romney and his buddies had their way, this would be the norm instead of just a really sad incident.

I hope they sue the fuck out of that hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Sepsis != E Coli

With Sepsis, your blood literally turns toxic to the body because it is infected.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    If a pregnant woman feels pain or has any kind of symptom, how come would any doctor think that she was lying? I mean, there's also a thing called "tests" and, if they did test, I doubt they would say that she was okay, taking in consideration that she died.

The problem wasn't this, the problem was that the law didn't allow the doctors to abort otherwise, I'm sure, that they would have aborted.
    Where'd I say they thought she lied? Believe it or not, tests don't say "quick, abort or this person will die". Tests show results but leave the decisions up to the doctors and it's quite possible that blood poisoning wouldn't show until well after the child was dead (otherwise the baby would die from the blood poisoning themself, wouldn't they?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The part where they let a woman die for absolutely no valid reason.
    There was a valid reason, the law says they couldn't do it. And since you aren't a citizen of Ireland then you have no right to vote in their elections (and thus change the law). I'm a strong believer that a country should have the right to make laws *for themselves* (after all, my country can so others should be able to as well) and that other countries (Countries in the EU and USA are notorious for this, but Australia is definitely not innocent in this either) should simply butt out.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Scepticemia is blood poisoning, not food poisoning. It is quite common in a lot of pregnancies (my wife got quite ill with our first child) and the usual outcome is an emergency c-section. At the age of the foetus in the article a c-section is not possible and as doctors had already confirmed the baby would not survive it should have been removed to save the woman's life.

Deleted
    Where'd I say they thought she lied? Believe it or not, tests don't say "quick, abort or this person will die". Tests show results but leave the decisions up to the doctors and it's quite possible that blood poisoning wouldn't show until well after the child was dead (otherwise the baby would die from the blood poisoning themself, wouldn't they?)
    So, the doctors should ignore the fact that she was in pain? I mean, you don't need to tests to see if a person is in pain because of something, right? What am I missing here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There needs to be manslaughter charges.
    That's the problem here, they were following the law. The LAW restricted them from aborting the baby that had absolutely no chance and saving the mothers life in the process. If the doctors did the correct thing morally, they would be in very big trouble from the law. The law is the problem, not the doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.