Weapons for 2H and DW

Hello all,

once again the DW/2H topic but regarding weapons...

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the two specs are identical to damage (with same ilvl weapons of course) output no matter the number of mobs or burst or whatever. Let's say the the only thing that separates the two specs is the mechanics; ie DW hits with 2 weapons at the same time. Now, we are about to hit the Sha of Fear who drops the sha touched weapons. I have now 2x489 axes from Elegon. The real question now is...

in order for DW to be equal, one should have 2xsame ilvl weapons with 2H one? That is to say, should I pick the 2H, gem it with the legendary gem, feel happy and go on, or should I pick the 1H, slap the gem, have a lesser (ilvl wise) weapon on the off-hand? It is not a matter of DW vs 2H here. It is a matter of mechanics and whether 1hx496+1hx478 < 2hx496.

--------------------------
    Off topic a bit, I am inclined to take the 2H for other reasons. Among these are the flexibility to switch to unholy if I ever want it to, PvP with 2H (although DW might be viable as well) and of course be in peace, since my most important slot is covered till the heroic version.

Deleted
    If with equal weapons (2x1h 489 and 2h 489) you do the same DPS, with 1h 496+1h 489 and 2h 496 I think 2h would perform better because 2h gains more dps via upgrading weapons than DW does.

More help!!? Raid starts in 6 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    If with equal weapons (2x1h 489 and 2h 489) you do the same DPS, with 1h 496+1h 489 and 2h 496 I think 2h would perform better because 2h gains more dps via upgrading weapons than DW does.
    This would be correct. Assuming they're identical with same ilvl weapons, then 2H gets a better "average" upgrade when you only upgrade one DW weapon.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    Isn't DW supposed to better then 2H right now? If so, then one 496, one 489 should technically be better then a 2H 496? Haven't checked sims in a week, but DW was better last week

Deleted
    Depends on what fight are you comparing and if the player has the same skill set for both play styles. If not either way he likes or knows to play better seems to be the best way to go. As for that weapon comparision, I would have to say no, not better overall raiding ecounters but they are on pair, equal DPS. Some fights DW outperforms where in some they might under, keep in mind not by much in case.

Also keep in mind from a DW frost perspectiv on my simms MHDPS is about 2x better then OHDPS and strength scales in the middle of them as stat value. So if you have a good/very good 1h weapon use it and you can pair with with a maybe not so good OH and still be equal to a good 2h weapon.

That being said, my gear is about 487 but I am very unluncky as hell and have LFR Elegon Axe + PvP 470 axe. When I get some "real" 1h weapons I will run new simm to see how the WPDPS scales.
    Last edited by mmoc0127ab56ff; 2012-11-15 at 12:40 PM.

I prefer DW in general but I was thinking that 2H gives greater flexibility in case I want to switch to unholy and/or use the same one for tanking (I am called as 3rd tank in some encounters or even 2nd if someone is absent) and/or PvP.

At the end of the day, play what makes you happy. If a heroic elgelon or whatever his name is axe is in your near future then definitely pick DW. If not and you think 2H will benefit you more in pvp and tanking, then go with that. And like you said if you ever switch to unholy the 2hander and that reforge system will already e in place.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Narthaniel View Post
    Isn't DW supposed to better then 2H right now? If so, then one 496, one 489 should technically be better then a 2H 496? Haven't checked sims in a week, but DW was better last week
    It is but he said if he did the same dps as both, now assuming he's perfect at both? Yes DW would be more beneficial.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.