Deleted

How are shamans for pvp?

hey guys

considering levelling a shaman for pvp, ive never played one before so thought it might be an interesting class.

I only play arena, no pve and they seem reasonably well represented, so just wanted an idea how how they have been, are and will be in terms of their 3 specs.

I prefer to DPS in arena but would like a class that also offers healing if needs be, where as most other classes seem to be heavily under powered in one of the two at any one time!

Thanks for any info, i want to make sure i make the right choice, im also considering a paladin for the same reasons.

Enhancement is ok, ele is crap and resto is op

Druid feral is ok, balance crap, resto op

shadow priest is op, disc crap

Holy paladin ok, ret paladin ok

MONK??? ww crap, mistweaver ok

based of too much time on arena junkies/wow forums and mmo-champ

I only play arena, no pve and they seem reasonably well represented, so just wanted an idea how how they have been, are and will be in terms of their 3 specs.
    Resto makes up majority of the representation

Ele is weak and Enhance as per claims is good but the recent nerf to Totems will hit these specs the most

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    Enhancement is ok, ele is crap and resto is op

Druid feral is ok, balance crap, resto op

shadow priest is op, disc crap

Holy paladin ok, ret paladin ok

MONK??? ww crap, mistweaver ok

based of too much time on arena junkies/wow forums and mmo-champ
    Thanks,

I dont like druids or monks and have a spriest already

From that list as i thought shaman and pala are the two with viable dps and healer specs?

Not sure which of those two would edge out the other in terms of which to go for!

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chainreactor View Post
    Resto makes up majority of the representation

Ele is weak and Enhance as per claims is good but the recent nerf to Totems will hit these specs the most
    yea i saw restro was good but as you say i assume nerfs will bring it in to line with paladin and druid healers?

Makes me thing paladin might be a better choice between the two? though sham is slightly appealing as its totally new to me

I suggest pala or shaman but ull be melee dps just pick the one you prefer mecanic wise. Totems and cooldowns or holy power

If focused will makes it to 5.1 disc priest might be viable. For ranged dps priest is way to go between the hybrids, That is if u like shadow which are good

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    I suggest pala or shaman but ull be melee dps just pick the one you prefer mecanic wise. Totems and cooldowns or holy power

If focused will makes it to 5.1 disc priest might be viable. For ranged dps priest is way to go between the hybrids, That is if u like shadow which are good
    i kind of want a class that has a melee dps spec (hence ret and enhance) as well as a heal spec, i got bored of casters after only ever playing them since vanilla so last few classes have been melee based, but the dominance of hybrids makes them seem like a smart choice

i think resto druid beats everything right now. Shamans beat everything in burst heal, but lack cc (nearly every team has druid or shaman healer + a mage or druid in it, so double hex dispell).
    Totems are strong cds wich can save the day while getting stunned / silenced, but way too often i die in a shockwave or deep freeze switch, as soon as the trinket is down, u are practically dead as shaman, even with nearly 9 k resilience u wont survive a shockwave / deep freeze switch. I am not the best pvper, only challenger, and 5 time duellant with other classes, atm struggling with warlock or dk + owl at 1800 mmr, but the last time i felt so helpless as resto shaman in 3s was in s6/s7, when tsg , phd, and castercleave was modern.

I dont even want to know how hard the t2 weapon guys hit, but nowadays any skilled mage can kill anyone in a deepfreeze /blanket silence kombo from 100 to 0 in 3 or 4 globals.

It feels so brutal to play against shatteplay nowadays, u totaly played the other team out, all their cds out, and then he just randomly onehits someone in a df.

Lets see how it works out with the 5.1 patch, but i assume with totems becoming spell school, not usable while silenced, shaman healer will take a very big hit, and those "skillful" (TM wowDevs) blanket silences and the free spellsteal still around.

If i interpret the Ptr-Notes right even tremor cant be used after a fear bomb, as it becomes a spell. if it would still be usable while feared, u can assume that spriests will figure out to blanket u to "skillfully" hinder u on tremoring for 5 secs, while in a 8 sec fear. gg man.

Grounding totem cant be placed when softcountered, windshock cant be used and so on. its just too much, especially considered the amount of shadow / mage teams.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    i think resto druid beats everything right now. Shamans beat everything in burst heal, but lack cc (nearly every team has druid or shaman healer + a mage or druid in it, so double hex dispell).
    Totems are strong cds wich can save the day while getting stunned / silenced, but way too often i die in a shockwave or deep freeze switch, as soon as the trinket is down, u are practically dead as shaman, even with nearly 9 k resilience u wont survive a shockwave / deep freeze switch. I am not the best pvper, only challenger, and 5 time duellant with other classes, atm struggling with warlock or dk + owl at 1800 mmr, but the last time i felt so helpless as resto shaman in 3s was in s6/s7, when tsg , phd, and castercleave was modern.

I dont even want to know how hard the t2 weapon guys hit, but nowadays any skilled mage can kill anyone in a deepfreeze /blanket silence kombo from 100 to 0 in 3 or 4 globals.

It feels so brutal to play against shatteplay nowadays, u totaly played the other team out, all their cds out, and then he just randomly onehits someone in a df.

Lets see how it works out with the 5.1 patch, but i assume with totems becoming spell school, not usable while silenced, shaman healer will take a very big hit, and those "skillful" (TM wowDevs) blanket silences and the free spellsteal still around.

If i interpret the Ptr-Notes right even tremor cant be used after a fear bomb, as it becomes a spell. if it would still be usable while feared, u can assume that spriests will figure out to blanket u to "skillfully" hinder u on tremoring for 5 secs, while in a 8 sec fear. gg man.

Grounding totem cant be placed when softcountered, windshock cant be used and so on. its just too much, especially considered the amount of shadow / mage teams.
    hey thanks for the opinions, your a better pvper than me so ill go with your interpretation.

I was considering mage as pure dps but i got bored of casting all the time, though ive never played mage.

Really dont like druids so they are out.

Quote Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
    yea i saw restro was good but as you say i assume nerfs will bring it in to line with paladin and druid healers?

Makes me thing paladin might be a better choice between the two? though sham is slightly appealing as its totally new to me
    Paladin is a strong PvP healer but does not have nearly as many 3s comps as Resto Shaman

Currently they are riding the Warrior / BM bandwagon but with the fixes to BM and nerfs to Warrior in 5.1 this wont last long

Deleted
    ye that was my thoughts as well, but ret seems better than enhance? so the comps i can form would be greater as i can heal or dps?

enhance is the 3rd best melee(after warrior and feral), and resto is hands down the best healer right now mainly due to the other healers can't use their character because of the ridiculous amount of instant CC, especially fear(30s tremor with totemic restoration is insanely good)

Deleted
    Resto shaman is a bit ridiculous sometimes... I know my paladin isn't nearly as geared as my shaman, but DAMN my 100k WoG's are nothing compared to my shaman's 300k healing surges.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    i think resto druid beats everything right now.
    Idd, Dat CC, ridiculous mobility (though not as bad as monks, who can roll across the entire arena...), Treeform, they cast nearly nothing,... The only thing about them is that when they are focused and can't get away, they're done for.

"well represented"...as in 90% are resto.

enh and ele aren't terrible, but require a lot of skill play to maximize. they do have huge utility, especially in 3's. their most glaring weakness is how burst-a-licious they both are.

Take a look at this random PvP thread.
    It doesn't prove anything actually, but for a few expensions now, when this question is asked, you'll hear many "Shaman" answers.

For DPS shaman, ascendance is the most awesome thing ever happened to us. Other than that, not much going on.
    I really shouldn't express how angry I am with the recent totem silence nerf, however things are getting taken away from us without compensation. You better get used to this a lot and keep adapting to the point of frustration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithgroth View Post
    Take a look at this random PvP thread.
    It doesn't prove anything actually, but for a few expensions now, when this question is asked, you'll hear many "Shaman" answers.

For DPS shaman, ascendance is the most awesome thing ever happened to us. Other than that, not much going on.
    I really shouldn't express how angry I am with the recent totem silence nerf, however things are getting taken away from us without compensation. You better get used to this a lot and keep adapting to the point of frustration.
    Shame enha ascendance is a joke compared to ele.

At the moment i would suggest paladin for dps/heal.
    Shamans tend to be so hard nuked atm that it hurt's
    If ur not Resto that is, OP

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Deleted
    they op nefr ples

10+ Year Old Account
    Elemental is pretty awesome for 15 seconds out of every 3 minutes. Other than that, you basically do as much damage as a healer. Sorry, I lied... Resto druids and Holy pallys have better burst potential than Ele shamans.

Quote Originally Posted by NotKonway View Post
    Elemental is pretty awesome for 15 seconds out of every 3 minutes. Other than that, you basically do as much damage as a healer. Sorry, I lied... Resto druids and Holy pallys have better burst potential than Ele shamans.
    Yeah, but their burst is so predictable.

OT

Resto is in a good state imo. If you're one of the people who think healers are op, then yes you would consider resto op. Otherwise, they are pretty balanced, being comparable to resto druids and holy paladins. They have high representation at 2200+ and many viable comps.

Enhance is in a good state. They have good burst, control, and off healing. They have descent sustained damage and CC. They lack mobility compared to other melee, but much of this can be mitigated by their partners.

Elemental is below most DPS specs. They have good burst, but that's mainly due to ascendance which is a 3 min cooldown. Their sustained damage is lower than most DPS specs. They have descent CC and off-healing. Their mobility and defensive abilities are lower than most. It is a very RNG class due to the nature of our mastery. This can be both good and bad depending on if you're lucky.

If you want a caster hybrid, I'd look at Shadow Priests
    If you wand a melee hybrid, Enhance is good, but so is ret. I'd say it depends on what comp you want to run (ret has more options in this area than enhance imo)

Deleted
    Well i want a melee hybrid as ive said, and i already have a spriest.

so basically its a case of which is the two is better overall in their 2 specs...

Enhance seems cool and i got destroyed by them in previous expansions, but ret always seems to end up decent, so its still a hard decision!