Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why do you feel the need to replace your 7970? It's one of the best GPUs on the market. O_O
    Maybe he's having driver issues : /
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why do you feel the need to replace your 7970? It's one of the best GPUs on the market. O_O
    perhaps he just likes the color green more ?
    reasons for switching red/green camps can vary from drivers to not going for tripple screen gaming setup.
    guessing he is picking a card that might suit his needs better in regards to the future?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    perhaps he just likes the color green more ?
    reasons for switching red/green camps can vary from drivers to not going for tripple screen gaming setup.
    guessing he is picking a card that might suit his needs better in regards to the future?
    I like having the newest and greatest thing. keeps me occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    I like having the newest and greatest thing. keeps me occupied.
    K. 2014 nvidia gtx 880 release, price ~ 550€.

When the gtx 780 comes out I might swap to that. I have an Asus 7970 DC2 as well.. The only reason I want to get rid of mine is because it's a fricken 3 slot GPU.. Way too big. I can't Xfire a 3slot card so I will either have to swap to a 7970 that's 2, wait for the next gen AMD or get some 780s and be a champ!

Plus I like nvidia a lot more than AMD, personal preference.

Aveline's amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    When the gtx 780 comes out I might swap to that. I have an Asus 7970 DC2 as well.. The only reason I want to get rid of mine is because it's a fricken 3 slot GPU.. Way too big. I can't Xfire a 3slot card so I will either have to swap to a 7970 that's 2, wait for the next gen AMD or get some 780s and be a champ!

Plus I like nvidia a lot more than AMD, personal preference.
    Your solution: http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p.../xl/157833.jpg

Deleted
    Im interested to see the difference between a 680 and a 780. I do have a reference 680 currently but I dont like the noise and temperature it produces. If a 780 is 25%+ faster than a 680 I might switch when proper custom cooler releases and the price is reasonable.

Except you know.. I like my blue mobo right now :P

Aveline's amazing work!

So do I. But I've been trying with my blue motherboard to SLI my 680's and during gaming the first card wasn't running hot at all. Something like 67°? But in your situation the 7970's would run warmer..

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 04:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEnergy View Post
    Im interested to see the difference between a 680 and a 780. I do have a reference 680 currently but I dont like the noise and temperature it produces. If a 780 is 25%+ faster than a 680 I might switch when proper custom cooler releases and the price is reasonable.
    Well there's going to be a huge difference for 1080p I guess. 1000 more cuda cores and a better memory controller is just going to give you lets say 40%? It's just a guess.

Reference cards shouldn't be bought unless you're planning to go on water. But adding 1000 more cuda cores on the same process, is possibly going to mean a bigger die size and more heat. But they can optimize the card still to reduce it.

I wonder if the 780 will be more powerful than the 690 (two 680's on one card).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    it wont no card has ever made a 90% increase in performance

I just hope the laptop version won't be as disgustingly overpriced as the current laptop 680 is. 500 freaking dollars for under clocked desktop GTX670 without the bus or cooling features. BULLSHIT. Especially when the laptop 7970 which has almost the same performance (albeit worse drivers) is only about 250 dollars.

Hmm a gtx 590 is basically 25% faster than a gtx 680 reference in 3dmark vantage. But a high overclocked gtx 680 was actually almost equalizing to a 44-45K score in 3dmark vantage. A gtx 690 performs 47-49K in 3dmark vantage @ stock clocks.

If the rumours are true that the 780 is getting extra 1000 cuda cores + high overclock, surely it's just going to beat a 690.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 05:35 AM ----------

I just hope the laptop version won't be as disgustingly overpriced as the current laptop 680 is. 500 freaking dollars for under clocked desktop GTX670 without the bus or cooling features. BULLSHIT. Especially when the laptop 7970 which has almost the same performance (albeit worse drivers) is only about 250 dollars.
    The 680m or 680mx? The 680mx is based on the kepler archi while the 680 was based still on fermi. Correct me If I'm wrong.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    Try checking out what the GK 110 chip is all about.

From what we've known with what the GK 110 chip is actually like, it'll be exceptionally more powerful than a 680. More powerful than a 690? I wouldn't be too surprised. Mostly because the GK 110 is, as I recall, nearly, if not more than twice the size of the GK 104 chip, which is what the 680 is based on of course.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

If it's space-/air-concerns you have, however, and you really want to Crossfire them, you could just buy a two-slotter to use on top and move the three-slotter to be the bottom-most card.

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    A more correct answer would be "depends on the game". Some games, HD7970GHz beats the GTX 590 for instance.
    I won't make any promises, but I'm not going to say "definitely no" either.

AMD drivers have been mostly better than nVidia's this generation. (Slightly opinionated, slightly observing reports from others)
    Also, the GTX 680M has no relationship with the GTX 680 outside of the name; They're not at all related, nVidia just uses the same naming scheme for notebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Hmm a gtx 590 is basically 25% faster than a gtx 680 reference in 3dmark vantage. But a high overclocked gtx 680 was actually almost equalizing to a 44-45K score in 3dmark vantage. A gtx 690 performs 47-49K in 3dmark vantage @ stock clocks.

If the rumours are true that the 780 is getting extra 1000 cuda cores + high overclock, surely it's just going to beat a 690.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 05:35 AM ----------

The 680m or 680mx? The 680mx is based on the kepler archi while the 680 was based still on fermi. Correct me If I'm wrong.
    the 680m and mx are both Kepler. the 670m and 675m were based on the older fermi architecture (the 675 was essentially a re-branded 580). the latop 680m/mx is a desktop GTX 670 thats under clocked.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    AMD drivers have been mostly better than nVidia's this generation. (Slightly opinionated, slightly observing reports from others)
    Also, the GTX 680M has no relationship with the GTX 680 outside of the name; They're not at all related, nVidia just uses the same naming scheme for notebooks.
    I follow the laptop scene more than the desktop scene and as far as AMD vs Nvidia with drivers this year, Nvidia won hands down. the laptop 7970 owners are still dealing with garbage drivers months after the cards release, meanwhile everything is running on the 680m like a dream.
    And I know the 680m is not the same as the GTX680. It is however a GTX670, which is downclocked.

An overclocked GTX 680 is basically a GTX 590. I don't see why this can't be the case with the 780.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    Meanwhile sitting here with a HD7870.

Well...I don't have that much money.

Can somebody say something to comfort me? T_T
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-12-10 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    That is false. The 680M uses the same GK104 chip but with one less SMX cluster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it used to be a bigger difference between their desktop and laptop chips during fermi, probably due to the power consumption of the chips. What came to be the Kepler top-end chip is rather power efficient so I guess they really could introduce it for mobile devices as well. (Though there is still plenty of deceiving models like the GTX 670M and 675M which are fermi.)

I'm still convinced that they initially planned something else than GK104 in the desktop 680, though.
    Last edited by Wries; 2012-12-10 at 01:53 PM.