Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I drink Coke all the time and there's really nothing horrendously wrong with it; fashionable as it is to condemn such easy targets these days. In moderation its fine, as with most things in life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Doctor with Training & Experience > Random guy on the internet with no knowledge in the subject.
    No, just no.

You can't expect sugar to just be dropped in your bloodstream like that.

Just no.

And that your doctor said it and you believe him blindly is just folly, you don't just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The USA uses High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar. HFCS is pretty damn bad for you.
    High fructose corn sweetener contains a 50/50 mix of glucose and fructose.

Cane sugar is sucrose, a disaccharide which is rapidly broken down in the body into a ... 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose.

HFCS is not nearly so much worse than sucrose (and sucrose not nearly so much better than HFCS) as folk mythology would have you believe.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Incorrect. Check the chemical construct of natural sugars that occur in fruit, such as an Apple or Orange. They're very simple sugars that take very little effort to burn and break down in your body. A lot of that is done by the enzymes in your mouth.
    The enzymes in your mouth are salivary alpha-amylase, which breaks up large polysaccharides ie starches into glucose and maltose. It has almost nothing to do with the sugars from fruits, which tend to be glucose, fructose, and sucrose, twoof which are immediately available for intestinal absorption and the other which can be broken down by intestinal enzymes to be absorbed. The body is only able to absorb monosaccharides; its just how our bodies work.

As for HFCS, yes it goes by different mechanisms in the body than glucose, but fructose is by no means some alien compound. The only problem comes from the amount of fructose, and the fact that its feedback mechanisms are different from that of glucose.

Sugars added to Sweets, Chocolates and Drinks are much more complex and take a lot more effort for your body to burn down, and often they'll just get taken into the Blood Stream because they're not broken down in time.
    Get taken into the blood stream because they're not broken down in time? Where exactly are you getting your medical facts from?

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 10:54 PM ----------

Doctor with Training & Experience > Random guy on the internet with no knowledge in the subject.
    Your doctor sounds he like has all the authenticity of Mercola. Even without my expertise in the subject, it really doesn't take a bright mind to recognize things like, oh.... sugar doesn't just float around in the blood. I gave you the reasons why the human body is distinctly different from using a simple pint of blood. You did a rather poor appeal to authority in an indefensible position.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-15 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Where exactly are you getting your medical facts from?
    Scientific Studies, Local & National Doctors (Seen many before) and personal experience from previously drinking around 8 bottles of Dr Pepper a day and having a near heart attack because of it.

Again, professional views of an actively practicing doctor is going to be more important to me then a random stranger ont he internet. I'm not preaching to anyone, just asking them to look into themselves. If they find what I say to be wrong, so be it, but I can only go on what I know, I don't form opinions or views on matters without knowing about them in the first place.

The major difference though is I am prepared to accept that they may be wrong, but on a matter that has affected me personally, I know how I had issues with it.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2012-11-15 at 09:59 PM.

Scientific Studies, Local & National Doctors (Seen many before) and personal experience from previously drinking around 8 bottles of Dr Pepper a day and having a near heart attack because of it.

Again, professional views of an actively practicing doctor is going to be more important to me then a random stranger ont he internet. I'm not preaching to anyone, just asking them to look into themselves.
    You're the one making the claim so it's not a matter of us needing to look into it. The onus is on you to provide the evidence; these Scientific studies for example, or the names of a couple of the local/National doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So 1 bottle is the equivalent of an entire meal and you say it's not that bad?
    What the hell are you eating, hell a single serving of clam chowder is on par with a can of coke as far as calories go, god forbid you add a slice of buttered bread or saltine crackers.

And if you really want to freak out you should go to the juice section of your local grocer and start reading the Labels, Coke is far healthier than 90% of the other bottled drinks on the market these days even most bottled Tea's.

Or here is a fun one for you, go to starbucks as most everything they serve is as fattening as a mcdonalds cheeseburger.

10+ Year Old Account

Again, professional views of an actively practicing doctor is going to be more important to me then a random stranger ont he internet. I'm not preaching to anyone, just asking them to look into themselves.
    No, it sounds like you went and found anti-sugar propaganda which, while of good intent and purpose, ultimately lies to get its point across.

Having 8 bottles of Dr Pepper a day... you don't think the sheer volume of sugar coming into your body comes into account? I'll give you a hint: http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/ an apple has 2.3g glucose, 7.6g fructose and 3.3g sucrose (per 100g, and I think most apples are somewhere around 150g). A single 20oz bottle of Dr Pepper has 68g sugars put into it, all of which will eventually break down into fructose or glucose or otherwise not be absorbed into the body, and rather simply passed out through the GI tract (we poop for a reason, you know). Please, do the math.

So when are you going to stop doing appeal to authorities and instead attempt to back up your argument?
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-15 at 10:05 PM.

i admit i mostly drink soda with vodka, if i'm thirsty for sugar on a normal day, i prefer i Cocio, or multy juice in the morning

and juice is actualy worse than cola if i remember correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Having 8 bottles of Dr Pepper a day... you don't think the sheer volume of sugar coming into your body comes into account?
    You're really not reading what I am saying. The situation was caused by my vast consumption of Sugar from Sugary Drinks, the doctor then in turn explained what had happened to me after running various tests. I'm not being anti-sugar or anti-coke, I just don't like the idea of people thinking Coke is totally harmless. It isn't.

You're really not reading what I am saying. The situation was caused by my vast consumption of Sugar from Sugary Drinks, the doctor then in turn explained what had happened to me after running various tests. I'm not being anti-sugar or anti-coke, I just don't like the idea of people thinking Coke is totally harmless. It isn't.
    The point is simple. You say you had 8 bottles of Dr. Pepper a day; 216 grams of sugar. I assure you that if you have that much sugar per day, whatever kind of sugar, you're going to end up with diabetes at the very least after a while.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-11-15 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    The point is simple. You say you had 8 bottles of Dr. Pepper a day; 216 grams of sugar. I assure you that if you have that much sugar per day, whatever kind of sugar, you're going to end up with at least diabetes at the very least after a while.
    And my point is you don't need to drink 8 Bottles a day to have the same issue. Even that over a week is causing major health issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one here has claimed that coke is totally harmless. Even water is harmful in certain amounts. What we're getting at is that, in moderated amounts, coke IS harmless. It has a much lower threshold for harm than water, or fruit, or a large number of other products, but if it does not cross that threshold for a given person than it does not cause harm.

And my point is you don't need to drink 8 Bottles a day to have the same issue. Even that over a week is causing major health issues.
    I don't think that was ever disputed. The main point in contention was that the sugar in sodas is more dangerous than others; a claim which does not really have any founding in reality. Too much sugar is always bad for you, the same for everything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    What the hell are you eating, hell a single serving of clam chowder is on par with a can of coke as far as calories go, god forbid you add a slice of buttered bread or saltine crackers.

And if you really want to freak out you should go to the juice section of your local grocer and start reading the Labels, Coke is far healthier than 90% of the other bottled drinks on the market these days even most bottled Tea's.

Or here is a fun one for you, go to starbucks as most everything they serve is as fattening as a mcdonalds cheeseburger.

But now you're just saying 'hey this unhealthy thing is not that unhealthy, look just compare it to all these other unhealthy things'.

To be fair you really shouldn't consume that much preprocessed food anyway.

I won't judge anyone for doing it though, I drink cola, eat the occasional hamburger ( like once a month), eat pizza, and so on. And that's all good as long as you know what you're doing.

I stopped drinking soda for the most part when I saw a side by side comparison illustrating how much sugar they pack into each can. It's liquid candy.

What's the "other stuff" you're comparing this too? Energy drinks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

So if I drink alot of coke I will die? :P

Coke is not bad... if you are drinking in a decent amount. Dont blame the coca cola if you are eating fat food etc etc.

Im not healty at all, eating food that I like (not always healthy, happends alot I eat fast food) drinking alot of cola, but also water and other sodas, even milk.
    My health condition is fine. im not in perfect fit cuase im not working out as much as I want. Slowly working out more and more for each month that pass.

Im underwhigt for my high (BMI) - want 10more kilo's!!! No diabetes or other "sickness"...

So most of unhealth food etc is BS!... some ppl cant take suger, or other ingredients and will gain alot of whigt etc. other will not. If you drink alot of coca cola or other soda for that, and eat decent food and are out walking or something, you will not gain whigt, or feel unhealth.

Its kinda sad to see all this thread about diffrent things that its not bad, or its bad.

And all the training freaks that eats diffrent "replacment"... thats not much better then some sweets sometimes either. Just eat diffrent food/drink/candy etc and you will be fine

Have alot of intake of soda, fat food and alot of suger and you will get fatty and feel very unhealth.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post

There are many meals you can do for 400-500 cals easily, I do it on a daily basis, a small portion of carbs, lean protein and 40g of fresh veg gives you easily a decent size meal for around that amount of calories. The problem is people don't know how to do correct portion sizes and massively over eat, unless you are physically active on a regular basis it is very easy to eat more calories than you burn by eating incorrect portion sizes.

420 empty calories on a drink, if you insist on soda drink the diet versions and enjoy the extra meal, the route I would always go anyway.

400 additional calories per day means that you will gain 1.6kg per month or 19.2kg per year.
    From a simple drink.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-15 at 10:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    400 additional calories per day means that you will gain 1.6kg per month or 19.2kg per year.
    From a simple drink.
    Except I was not planning to drink the entire bottle.