Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post

For them it's an act of play and bonding. We might not appreciate it as such since it often brings a world of hurt, but that's how cats work
    I've had cats my entire life so I'm hardened by the experience of clawing and biting. You'll get used to it with time.
    Basically rough housing for cats?

1. So did you like get her when she was a newborn? She didn't have a cat mother so you had to nurture her and feed her from the bottle yourself?

2. Sterilizing a female cat at 6 months is, as far as I'm concerned, way too early. Also, post-procedure complications are possible as a result of a badly done procedure and can influence your cat behaviour forever.

3. If your vet is decent, he can always give behaviour advise.

4. Cats are cats. Some are more calm, some are not. You should've known that beforehand. First and foremost - shes' young. Secondly, cats can be trained and you can at least get rid of her aggressiveness if you a) consult the vet on behaviour b) study on how to do it, which is, quite frankly, not difficult these days c) cross out health issues which can very well influence the situation

We are going to remove her stitches tomorrow. After that I'll give her some catnip and see how she reacts to it.

I honestly don't see opening windows as an alternative. You have to understand that this is Croatia. Our houses aren't that great and we have to heat. If we open windows the heat is gone faster than you can think of it. That would be very expensive.

After that I'll try to make the garden a bit more interesting for her, so that she might go out despite it being colder. And by cold I am still talking about ~10 degrees C....

Deleted
    Get rid of it.

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-16 at 12:00 AM.

Is she spayed ? if not she should be.

Cats do need their outside time and I am generally against the ownership of cats/dogs if they never get to enjoy the great outdoors unleashed as it is essentially animal imprisonment for the selfishness of the owner.

Maybe you have just failed to train the cat due to a lack of punishment for doing such things in which case I suggest a good swat on the nose whenever she is misbehaving though more extreme methods might be needed depending on the cat though females tend to learn quicker from much smaller amounts of physical punishment than their stubborn asshole male counterparts. (same with pretty much any species)

Then again she might just need another animal to torment or be tormented by .
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-11-15 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    We are going to remove her stitches tomorrow. After that I'll give her some catnip and see how she reacts to it.

I honestly don't see opening windows as an alternative. You have to understand that this is Croatia. Our houses aren't that great and we have to heat. If we open windows the heat is gone faster than you can think of it. That would be very expensive.

After that I'll try to make the garden a bit more interesting for her, so that she might go out despite it being colder. And by cold I am still talking about ~10 degrees C....
    A cat can handle 10 Celsius no problem at all. Don't even worry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    1. So did you like get her when she was a newborn? She didn't have a cat mother so you had to nurture her and feed her from the bottle yourself?
    Yes.

2. Sterilizing a female cat at 6 months is, as far as I'm concerned, way too early. Also, post-procedure complications are possible as a result of a badly done procedure and can influence your cat behaviour forever.
    There is no other way. There are too many male cats around here from neighboring houses. We do not want to get her pregnant. What should we do with all those kittens? Just throw them away?

3. If your vet is decent, he can always give behaviour advise.
    He said she will calm down after being spayed. So far I call bullshit on that.

4. Cats are cats. Some are more calm, some are not. You should've known that beforehand. First and foremost - shes' young. Secondly, cats can be trained and you can at least get rid of her aggressiveness if you a) consult the vet on behaviour b) study on how to do it, which is, quite frankly, not difficult these days c) cross out health issues which can very well influence the situation
    I am really trying my best. But I also have to work until 5pm and she's completely in the hands of the old guys living in the same house until I am back. I cannot supervise them on how they behave with the cat and if they are maybe doing something wrong that made her act like this.
    I've got the feeling like she's in puberty or something like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Basically rough housing for cats?

That's exactly what it is, hehe

Cats play very rough and seldom hold back even when playing. I understand how that could be perceived as an hostile action.
    Also, they are ridiculously strong for their size and you often have to actually make an effort to "win" over them xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a durable glove and play with her.

I mean you gotta keep her entertained.

Cats play very rough and seldom hold back even when playing. I understand how that could be perceived as an hostile action.
    Also, they are ridiculously strong for their size and you often have to actually make an effort to "win" over them xD
    I have a mini panic attack when I see my two cats playing. The older one bites the head of the kitten while the kitten is scratching at the older cat's eyes! They make nary a sound though and when it's done they're still best of friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    When she acts up, you gotta scruff her. Since she's a kitten she will listen better. Like a mom angry at their child.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWFKl_rSpM8

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yes.

There is no other way. There are too many male cats around here from neighboring houses. We do not want to get her pregnant. What should we do with all those kittens? Just throw them away?

He said she will calm down after being spayed. So far I call bullshit on that.

I am really trying my best. But I also have to work until 5pm and she's completely in the hands of the old guys living in the same house until I am back. I cannot supervise them how they behave with the cat and if they are maybe doing something wrong that made her act like this.
    I've got the feeling like she's in puberty or something like that.
    If the vet says it's okay to sterilize at 6 months, I'm not the one to dispute. Was under the impression that it's too early though.

Once again - have to cross health issues first and foremost, because punishing a cat for something it's doing out of pain or discomfort will not solve anything. Puberty is helluva time, not sure how active she would be after sterilization though but my cat has been a total fucking asshole during that time. He's better now but we still have issues with him being very needy and very aggressive towards my hands hence why I said that every cat is different.

Talk to the old guys, explain the issues to them and ask them to try and not to contribute to raising the cat as much as they can. They will ignore you, I promise. But maybe at some point some of them will refrain from doing something he would do if you didn't talk to them.

I love rough housing with my cats, but I've only ever had one cat that would go batshit crazy and attack you without being provoked though I have heard it is somewhat common in spayed/neutered cats when they sense that it is time to mate yet lack the ability to do so, though I imagine most mammals would go batshit crazy if instinct was telling them to mate yet the body denied it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some cats are just simply assholes. My two cats are 7 months old and they are the sweetest. I didn't have to train them or anything, they did jump on the kitchen counter a lot which was annoying but a spray bottle fixed that. Like the guy earlier said, young cats tend to make up their own games which could be painful/annoying to us owners. I would try the spray bottle method for when she does things she isn't suppose to do, worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I love rough housing with my cats, but I've only ever had one cat that would go batshit crazy and attack you without being provoked though I have heard it is somewhat common in spayed/neutered cats when they sense that it is time to mate yet lack the ability to do so, though I imagine most mammals would go batshit crazy if instinct was telling them to mate yet the body denied it.
    I wonder how that feels like. Do eunuchs ever have sexual urges?

Quote Originally Posted by Rupture91 View Post
    Some cats are just simply assholes. My two cats are 7 months old and they are the sweetest. I didn't have to train them or anything, they did jump on the kitchen counter a lot which was annoying but a spray bottle fixed that. Like the guy earlier said, young cats tend to make up their own games which could be painful/annoying to us owners. I would try the spray bottle method for when she does things she isn't suppose to do, worked well for me.
    Spray bottle... Very interesting idea. I'll look that up.

I think I've missed the part of disciplining her when she does something I don't want her to be doing. I've read that violence doesnt work like it works for dogs (mild violence of course). So I simply just shouted at her, as adviced on some animal board I stumbled upon.

Scruffing and spraying is something I will try out.

Deleted
    odd
    My girlfriend´s cat learned along time ago its place
    He wont dare to hurt me or steal food for me because i`ll just hang it from its tail and spin him if i have to
    And he wont touch my dog as well, cause he totally fucks him up to the point of making the cat not wanting to eat

So my advice, while it is young (this is important) re-arrange how you place yourself in the hierarchy
    stop being a pussy and hit it if you have to

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-16 at 12:04 AM.

Spray bottle is a miracle. It's a great way to quickly explain when something is wrong in a way the cat understands without hurting it's feelings much. Don't overuse though

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    odd
    My girlfriend´s cat learned along time ago its place
    He wont dare to hurt me or steal food for me because i`ll just hang it from its tail and spin him if i have to
    And he wont touch my dog as well, cause he totally fucks him up to the point of making the cat not wanting to eat

So my advice, while it is young (this is important) re-arrange how you place yourself in the hierarchy
    stop being a pussy and hit it if you have to
    Where do you live?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    My cat still goes completely mental on me from time to time. She'll penetrate the skin on my hand and arms, it's bleeding, I'm crying.
    She just don't give a fuck...

But after all that is done she comes up to me and cleans my wounds(literally) and assuring me she still loves me and that she meant no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    I have a mini panic attack when I see my two cats playing. The older one bites the head of the kitten while the kitten is scratching at the older cat's eyes! They make nary a sound though and when it's done they're still best of friends.
    I'm certain it's all in good fun. What happens in fight club stays in fight club!

I would prescribe a piece of rope, a brick and a pond.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-15 at 10:21 PM.