Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    No! He doesn't want you to de-claw the cat...

He want's you to trim the cat's nails. The same thing we humans do with a nail clipper...
    trimming cats claws is counterproductive imo. they fight like hell, and they are perfectly capable of maintaining their claws

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    trimming cats claws is counterproductive imo. they fight like hell, and they are perfectly capable of maintaining their claws
    No, you should cut them, you have too.

My grandma's cats, sometime ago, didn't had their claws cut and they kept growing, a lot, making the claw grow in wards in the paw, both cats were in extreme pain and it got infected and one even had to go to the vet because of it.

I'm not saying this will happen to every cat but you should still cut, you don't need to cut a lot, in fact, you shouldn't cut a lot, just a little bit so it won't be sharp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post

My grandma's cats, sometime ago, didn't had their claws cut and they kept growing, a lot, making the claw grow in wards in the paw, both cats were in extreme pain and it got infected and one even had to go to the vet because of it.

I'm not saying this will happen to every cat but you should still cut, you don't need to cut a lot, in fact, you shouldn't cut a lot, just a little bit so it won't be sharp.

That is so weird. Cat's claw shouldn't be growing like that, If they have something to scratch that shouldn't happen. I mean I have 2 cats and I never trim their claws and they are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    That is so weird. Cat's claw shouldn't be growing like that, If they have something to scratch that shouldn't happen. I mean I have 2 cats and I never trim their claws and they are perfect.
    See below...

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    4) We build a scratch tree for her, but she just doesnt want to fucking use it. Instead she scratches all the old and valuable furniture. The old man in the house is getting extremely pissed by her and starts being aggressive. I try to calm him down and not to attack the cat but I think he is reaching his limit; and I can understand him. The furniture is really expensive and it would be a shame if a cat damages it.

Deleted
    It's actually quite common in old cats to get ingrown claws. They, like us, get stiff and fragile at older age and it might be painful for them to maintain their claws.
    Also, some cats are just more lazy than others and refuse to maintain personal "hygiene" such as cleaning their coat and trimming claws ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Villino View Post
    Just, OMG. Reading this made me so friggin' mad!! If you/the people you are living with don't want to put the time in/know how to train a cat and deal with cat behavior why the hell do you have one??!! Okay seriously though.. Here is what you MUST do. Cat's are extremely trainable and intelligent and the only reason for a badly behaved cat is a bad management by people who do not know how to meet her needs.

First of all a 6 month old cat is a kitten. They are very active and need daily attention. Provide her with interactive toys and preferably engage in play with her yourself. The best kind of toys are 'fishing rod' type with feathers (make sure they are safe and not mall enough to be caught in her mouth) or newspaper strands or a cat toy mouse or something tied to the end. This are great and since you mentioned expense being an issue. You can make these kinds of things easily enough yourself and often home made ones are more appealing than the ones you can buy. Give the cat a daily play time, this is crucial to her development and for her behavior issues.

NEVER and I mean NEVER use your hands or feet as objects for her to play with. Cats who attack human hands and feet have 99% of the time learned this because someone has let them bite and grab at their hands as a form of play when the cat was younger and less able to inflict pain. Find out if this is the case and don't let it happen in future. She will learn quickly.

If she does bite or scratch or engage in anything else that you dislike you should never physically punish or yell at a cat. They do not learn like dogs and she will associate your yelling or physical punishment only with you and will not actually make the connection that she is being punished for an action. This is not just a animal abuse issue (although it is absolutely wrong to hit or scream and yell at a cat) but it is actually POINTLESS. It will not teach the cat anything. She will, if anything become more defiant and aggressive and associate you as a person with bad things and never her actions.

If that cat is biting, scratching or otherwise doing something like say jumping on the dinner table. You should hiss at her loudly like another cat would in the wild. It may take some time but I have never met a cat that this doesn't work on. It is best to be discrete so that she associates the noise with her action and doesn't necessarily see that it is you. If that doesn't work it is probably because she is doing it to get a reaction from you, she is asking for attention. Just keep it up and in the meantime pick her up without talking to her or making a big fuss and move her away a few meters. DON'T give her attention. Hiss at her, move her away and go back to what you were doing ignoring her. This WILL work but you have to be consistent and make sure other people in the house are doing the same. Eventually a hiss should be enough to tell her you don't like what she is doing.

As far as catnip goes. NO NO NO it is not the equivalent of LSD ffs. It is a natural and safe high for cats and it is also relatively inexpensive in most parts of the world. It is a great thing to include in her toys and provides an outlet for extra energy. You should however only give the cat catnip once or twice a week and as she gets older maybe even a little less than that. Not because of any health risks but because it is a simple fact that the more frequent the use the less effective the catnip is. If she has catnip too often it will have no affect on her anymore. It should be provided as a treat and it is great seeing a cat enjoying itself with a bit of catnip.

Cats get bored easily. You should have a good supply of toys but only ever have a few out at each time. So give her 2 or 3 toys for a couple of days and actively play with her and then take those toys and put them away and get out a couple of different toys, do this every couple of days and rotate the toys around. Having a roster of toys minimizes boredom and mean she will stay interested in her toys for longer.

About the scratching. Again getting irate and yelling only encourages her as she feels she is getting attention. You saying about the old guy getting super pissed is really not helping. When she scratches the furniture, hiss at her like you would with any other undesirable behavior but instead of just moving her away take her to the scratching post and carefully put her front paws on it. AGAIN, don't make a big fuss about it and be very very consistent. Cats need a scratching surface it is not a luxury, it is essential. If she has never used the scratch thing you have provided then it is probably not appealing for her. What have you covered it with?? Old carpet would be great or wrapped rope or a bit of both. Also you can attach a dangling toy from it to get her interested and even rub some catnip on it while training her to use it.

It really only takes persistence, common sense and knowing a little about animal behaviour. It makes me sad to see that this is the case and it is entirely up to the owners, not the cat. Try all these things and be consistent in your training, make sure everyone else in the house understands what to do as well and the cat will soon learn.

SOURCES:
    Working with cats for the last few years, owned cats all my life (currently 2 beautiful babies who are very very polite and well trained), common fucking sense and patience.
    This was very informative albet slightly rude. The techniques of training cats may seem like common sense to you, but not everyone has the experience you do. I have two 6 month old kittens, one of them has been getting more aggressive in her play, while the other has become more docile, so the aggressive one starts attacking my legs and arms. i had never let them play with my limbs before, because they played with each other, and one day she just started attacking my arms. so i looked around the internet, and there are varying opinions everywhere. no where did i see that you should hiss at them when they do something wrong. I will be using the techniques you mentioned, but there's no need to get so angry about it.

How to deal with a problem cat

Step 1: Dig whole big enough to bury cat up to head
    Step 2: Place cat in hole and fill in
    Step 3: Crank lawn mower.

Problem solved.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-16 at 08:34 PM.

Deleted
    I know, it shouldn't, but my grandma's cats don't claw stuff, so, that's why, but even so, it's always better to cut a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post

i have 2 cats, my mom has 3. none of them need their claws trimmed, they do it themselves. none ever had problems. cats did fine before they moved into houses and had people cut their nails for them :P

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Is she spayed ? if not she should be.

Cats do need their outside time and I am generally against the ownership of cats/dogs if they never get to enjoy the great outdoors unleashed as it is essentially animal imprisonment for the selfishness of the owner.

Maybe you have just failed to train the cat due to a lack of punishment for doing such things in which case I suggest a good swat on the nose whenever she is misbehaving though more extreme methods might be needed depending on the cat though females tend to learn quicker from much smaller amounts of physical punishment than their stubborn asshole male counterparts. (same with pretty much any species)

Then again she might just need another animal to torment or be tormented by .
    yea till you read about some of the thing people do to other people cats.
    no thx i'm not selfish. i'm more protective.

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember when my cat killed a butterfly..it made me sad:/. A great way the cats I have had let go of some of their energy is finding and killing a died mouse. I swear after one of my cats killed one she threw it up in the air air and just kept playing with it like a chew toy...she was so proud of her kil.

But I guess that is not an option to you since that is more of a random thing...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    No. Catpnip is perfectly fine for cats. It is not addictive, it is just extremely attractive to them. There is no catnip withdrawal or anything. The reason you see cats go crazy for it and they find it if it's in a room is because it smells very strong and very attractive to them. One thing to note is that a lot of cats don't actually react to catnip. Also, if you're worrying about being able to afford it, buy a plant and grow it yourself. Just make sure to keep it in a place they can't get to. The top of the refrigerator is not one of those places, by the way.
    Catnip also often doesn't seem to have an effect on kittens below the age of 6 months-1 year.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 09:07 PM ----------

I trim my cat's claws just so they're slightly less deadly weapons. She's pretty good about it actually, and lays there patiently while I do it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Ever tried catnip? I've noticed that cats on catnip tend to expend a lot of their energy rolling around on the floor.
    I bought a catnip toy for my cat once and it was one where the catnip came separately in a bag (looked like weed lol) and you put some in the ball toy. So, I'm opening the bag and it burst open like a bag of chips, got all over the carpet, what happened next was fascinating. M, my cat, went apeshit and was running his face into the carpet, flipping around, running his whole body in the spot. It was nuts.

Anywho, when my cat would bite me, I'd bite him back lol. I did that with my dog too (black lab, loved to chew). Also, my cat didn't like his belly being rubbed. So when he'd attack my feet, I'd scoop him up and eat his bellies. He eventually got the message.

TLDR: Eat your cat's bellies.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2012-11-16 at 09:12 PM.

play with her at least 15 mins a day, or get another cat to play with her. my first cat was like this, but we got him a couple friends to chase and he really mellowed out.

she wants to hunt things, get a feather or toy tied on a stick for her to chase.
    Last edited by starlord; 2012-11-16 at 09:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lazer pointers, all of my cats love chasing them (younger ones more so).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i have 2 cats, my mom has 3. none of them need their claws trimmed, they do it themselves. none ever had problems. cats did fine before they moved into houses and had people cut their nails for them :P
    Some cats like to claw on the ground or carpets, or anything that they can claw and make their "nails" go off, that's why we need to cute it, so it won't grow and the streets have plenty of places for them to claw, so yeah, if you move them in to the house and don't let them go out, you will need to cut their claws more often.

Mines only come inside to eat and sleep or when it's cold, my mom only cuts their claws like once every 1 or 2 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Lazer pointers, all of my cats love chasing them (younger ones more so).
    All cats love to chase the red dot. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    See below...
    I think you missed the sentence immediately after that that stated she was scratching all the old furniture.

Just a minor heads up on the cat nip (haven't read through all the posts to see if it was going to be tried/ have been tried / not going to be tried). My friends cat was an outside pet. Primary job was to kill pests. Well that cat knew exactly where the wild cat nip grew at and the cat loved to self medicate. Here is the catch, the cat was very loving and fun to be around... when it was sober. Once that cat got high though it became crazy as all get out. I remember going to his place to help work on his tractor. Here his cat was sitting in the middle of the driveway meowing like crazy. I watched it do that for five minutes before I got my friend. He tried to move it and the cat decided he was a super mouse getting revenge for all the small one's the cat killed and went nuts on him. Bout pissed myself laughing.

I've learned a bit about living with "devil cat" (according to some). A lot of people get a cat thinking they're independent and easy to manage, but it's not just drop them in the house and go. So from my experience, here's a bit of advice:

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The family I am currently living with got a cat about 6 months ago (she is also 6 months old).
    Your cat is still a kitten, but no longer a baby kitten. You have entered the feline equivalent of "the terrible twos." She is going to start pushing boundaries and seeing what she can and can't get away with. It's up to you, and the family living there, to set the ground rules and hold her to them so she learns what is acceptable behavior.

1) We all eat, she goes under the table and jumps on somebody from below. Claws right into our legs or hands if we had them under the table for some reason. I have some serious injuries already. My arm looks like I was in war.
    She is likely pent up on energy and looking to play and get attention. I would advise getting a water bottle, you can mix vinegar with the water so it's not strong but has a little smell, and giving her a single spritz if she heads under the table. Make that area off limits.

Don't yell at her. Cats don't understand good attention vs bad attention. Only attention. You yelling is a reaction to what they did, so they will do it again to get more reactions. The spray bottle can be a mysterious spray of water from nowhere unless/until she figures it out. Then picking it up will send her running. Preferably you can get her to associate bad behavior with mystery water spray so she doesn't do it, even when you aren't home.

2) Something she only does with me. If I walk without shoes on she always jumps my feet and trys to bite me and scratches me. Putting her away only makes her attack again. Only way to stop her is to put some shoes on or to carry her into another room.
    She has somehow learned your feet are a toy. Never play with them with your hands or feet or they will think it's acceptable whenever they feel like playing. Wear shoes for now and if she pounces your feet while walking...keep walking. Don't yell at her, just ignore her. If attention = desirable then being ignored = undesirable.

3) She fights my dog for the dogs food. I always have to seperate the cat when feeding my dog, or she would simply eat everything away. This cat eats fucking dogfood
    Many people think feeding cats is just leaving food out and letting them nibble, but that contributes to overweight cats. Get your cat on a feeding schedule, the same one as your dog. Feed them in separate areas at the same time. I'll go ahead and also mention your cat's weight and constant hunger.
    What are you feeding her?
    My cat switched from dry food to Science Diet canned food and lost about 5 lbs with no other change in lifestyle. You might think that's expensive stuff, but it's not bad at all.
    My buddy, Toby, eats dry food for breakfast, Science Diet canned (he likes chicken, don't go with fish as they aren't designed for eating fish regularly) 1/3 of a can at 7 PM and another 1/3 at midnight. Science Diet is about $1.00 a can and I can easily take him a month a 1 can/day without dry food. $30/month for cat food isn't bad and it's cheaper than paying for diabetes or other problems down the road.

Dry food is made primarily of plants. Cats are made to eat meat.

http://www.catinfo.org/

Save this website. Refer to it often. Food and litter box information are VERY eye opening. You need to look at the house from the cat's point of view as much as from how you want the cat to see it.

4) We build a scratch tree for her, but she just doesnt want to fucking use it. Instead she scratches all the old and valuable furniture. The old man in the house is getting extremely pissed by her and starts being aggressive. I try to calm him down and not to attack the cat but I think he is reaching his limit; and I can understand him. The furniture is really expensive and it would be a shame if a cat damages it.
    I bought my scratch tree and Toby loves it. You should look into a spray or catnip for the tree you built that will act as an attractant. Also, when she uses the scratch tree...PRAISE HER! Talk to her, pet her, play with her with toys on the tree (my cat loves a stuffed animal being put on top and he will grab it from underneath and THROW IT OFF! "GET OFF MY TREE, STUFFED DUCK!") or give her treats. Attention and enforcement of good behavior.

To deter scratching furniture, there are strips you can buy or double sided tape you can put on the furniture she's likely to scratch. They hate the sticky feeling on their paws.

She was a wonderfull cat until two months ago... calm, yet playfull. She has a huge garden to play in, but now she refuses to go outside because it's getting colder.
    She's a 6 month old kitten. Put her outside. Don't let her dictate what she will/won't do 100% of the time. Put her out in the garden to play, go play with her outside. Take strings or toys and have her play outside even if it's cold.

What did we do wrong, and what can we do to fix her?
    Rest assured, you haven't done anything wrong...yet. She's growing and going through that phase, so how you handle it from here on is what will make the difference.

http://www.catinfo.org/ (this was a really favorite site for litter box and diet information for me!)
    http://www.paws.org/happy-indoor-cat.html
    http://www.indoorcat.org

Get some toys for your cat. They don't even have to be expensive, either; just something small and fluffy/jingly/bouncy that she can chase.