Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

End the War on Drugs

So I was thinking with all the global turmoil, Terrorism, Gaza, Separation of Texas, ect...

Why is America still waging a losing war on Drugs? There are better options.

So I made a petition and now I ask MMO-C what is your opinion on the War on Drugs?

Facts:
    over 2.3 million people are in prison in the United States, This gives us the highest number and highest percentage of population in prison.
    The majority of people in Prison are there on drug related offenses.
    It costs $24k a year per prisoner. Which means $55.2Billion on prisoners.
    Mexican cartels reap $18 billion to $39 billion from drug sales in the United States each year. All tax free, or a lost $1billion+ a year in lost taxes, not counting local sales taxes, just the tax on profits.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...olled/TktPFFhL

P.S. I mean all Controlled substances not just pot.

10+ Year Old Account
    ALL drugs? Like every single one of them?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not saying the war on drugs should stay as it is, increased or cease but I can tell you that I doubt something will change.
    The worst thing old elected men can endure is to lose face.
    After billions being plowed into operations abroad, astronomical sums demosticly I have a hard time seeing any change for the above reason.
    Since Reagan declared drugs as one of the biggest threats to the US, pretty much every president after keep his course steadily.
    Who will be brave (depend on your view of cos) to make a change of policy that will state that decades of politicians been wrong, very wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayzz View Post
    ALL drugs? Like every single one of them?

See this article, Portugal did this in 2002.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...f-in-portugal/

10+ Year Old Account
    Does that 24k per prisoner take into account what they make? As I understand it, American prisoners make a lot of stuff, Which also could mean having a high amount of prisoners may be good. Here's a quick video on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Does that 24k per prisoner take into account what they make? As I understand it, American prisoners make a lot of stuff, Which also could mean having a high amount of prisoners may be good. Here's a quick video on that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZed8af9RI

Steven Fry at his best. Yes the number takes in count the offset, since it is based on money from taxes.

Not all drugs. Though, most of them need to be legalized, taxed, and made with proper protocol.

Anyone ever see Krokodil Tears?

It's basically Heroine. If you have a viable source of quality product. We take away the Black Market of such wares. Then take the tax money to help the people on the drugs, if they want off.

People will use AND abuse drugs, REGARDLESS, if it's illegal, legal, deadly, non-pure, and/or otherwise negative. Responsible use, much like a Gun, is all we can teach and expect people to do.

Illegal drugs just make criminals out of people that don't need to be criminals.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe not all.... stuff like LSD should still be illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    LSD LSD ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Not all drugs. Though, most of them need to be legalized, taxed, and made with proper protocol.

Anyone ever see Krokodil Tears?

It's basically Heroine. If you have a viable source of quality product. We take away the Black Market of such wares. Then take the tax money to help the people on the drugs, if they want off.

People will use AND abuse drugs, REGARDLESS, if it's illegal, legal, deadly, non-pure, and/or otherwise negative. Responsible use, much like a Gun, is all we can teach and expect people to do.

Illegal drugs just make criminals out of people that don't need to be criminals.
    You bring up a good point, I am familiar with Krokodil, it is a cheap way to make Desomorphine, a drug which can be made safely. The cheap street version is highly toxic and kills 100% of it's users in a year or two.

When you legalize all drugs and put in safety controls you avoid things like Krokodil.

As for LSD, I personally think every adult should try it once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is that? LSD is literally the least toxic substance out there. Its toxicity is so minute that not even weed can compare; they couldn't even kill mice off with it in quite a few trials. Its literally nothing but normal human chemicals that, if they aren't currently being used by the brain, float harmlessly in the blood stream waiting to be excreted. In terms of behavioral toxicity it can have some ill effects, such as you know.... thinking cars are bunnies, but even with that its negative effects are very exaggerated and to reach that level of cognitive impairment would be the alcoholic equivalent of being completely smashed out of your mind.

In other words.. LSD is less toxic than water.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 04:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    You bring up a good point, I am familiar with Krokodil, it is a cheap way to make Desomorphine, a drug which can be made safely. The cheap street version is highly toxic and kills 100% of it's users in a year or two.

When you legalize all drugs and put in safety controls you avoid things like Krokodil.

As for LSD, I personally think every adult should try it once.
    The primary problem with Krokodil actually isn't the drug itself, but the way it is compounded. It is so easy to make that pretty much anyone can do it... and that is a very, very bad mix when you consider its an injected drug and how specialized aseptic technique is. Most deaths are a result of extremely "dirty" concoctions; the drug itself doesn't have the severe caustic effects that Krokodil is associated with.

That said, in terms of things like addictive profile and the usual problems associated with potent morphine derivatives it is still a very dangerous drug to use even without having inherent destructive effects.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-16 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    I'll pass on trying that, not interested in trying any of them.

But, for making them all legal, I'm completely for it, the added revenue would be a nice boost to the economy, not to mention creating tons of jobs (Think of have much regulation and processing this type of stuff would need.
    Tons, the pharmaceutical companies and the Tobacco industry would do extremely well with the legalization of controlled substances, you might even see the costs of prescription drugs drop a little. The other benefit is the drug cartels would either be forced to become legitimate or face unemployment. Much like the Mafia did at the end of prohibition.

We can add quite a few others to that list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Why is that? LSD is literally the least toxic substance out there. Its toxicity is so minute that not even weed can compare; they couldn't even kill mice off with it in quite a few trials. Its literally nothing but normal human chemicals that, if they aren't currently being used by the brain, float harmlessly in the blood stream waiting to be excreted. In terms of behavioral toxicity it can have some ill effects, such as you know.... thinking cars are bunnies, but even with that its negative effects are very exaggerated and to reach that level of cognitive impairment would be the alcoholic equivalent of being completely smashed out of your mind.

In other words.. LSD is less toxic than water.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 04:51 AM ----------

The primary problem with Krokodil actually isn't the drug itself, but the way it is compounded. It is so easy to make that pretty much anyone can do it... and that is a very, very bad mix when you consider its an injected drug and how specialized aseptic technique is. Most deaths are a result of extremely "dirty" concoctions; the drug itself doesn't have the severe caustic effects that Krokodil is associated with.

That said, in terms of things like addictive profile and the usual problems associated with potent morphine derivatives it is still a very dangerous drug to use even without having inherent destructive effects.
    I have done some research in to the toxicity of drugs when I was in college, you are correct in saying LSD is as toxic as water, however THC is in the same class of toxicity, most of the harm to your body for Pot is not THC it is the popular way it is ingested that causes harm to the body. All smoke damages the lung tissues. Whether it is pot, tobacco, charcoal, wood, or paper the damage can cause COPD which can lead to cancer.

See article.

http://www.theatlantic.com/daily-dis...xicity/229893/

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 08:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    We can add quite a few others to that list.
    It only works if the list is torn up and tossed out, leave 1 drug illegal and there will be a criminal network selling it on the streets in hours.

It only works if the list is torn up and tossed out, leave 1 drug illegal and there will be a criminal network selling it on the streets in hours.
    And they deserve to stay illegal, and their general low-life abusers to rot in jail.

No, I'm not talking about marijuana either.

I find it rather sad that we could pay the drug cartels not to sell drugs and use less money than we do on the prisoners. Of course it wouldn't work out that way, but the raw numbers are sad.

Why is America still waging a losing war on Drugs? There are better options.
    Same question could be asked, why are they fighting a losing war in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc etc

The answer is they need something to fight and to incite fear into the population so that people turn out to vote in elections. A problem when voting isn't compuslory.
    They also need to make it sound like they're actually doing something with the money they take from tax payers, other than increasing politicians salaries >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Why, why does it matter if people do them, especially if it has no affect on your life? And which drugs per say, are you referring to?
    Cocaine and everything harder that is currently illegal.

It does affect me. I pay taxes that pay for supporting these lowlives since addicts are unable to function in everyday life. In addition, widespread health problems have been proven from these drugs. You expect me to be perfectly content with letting my premiums rise even more simply so these losers can get their fix? Seriously?

Money spent on taking down cartels astronomical, money spent on the war on drugs astronomical... cartels get seed money from marijuana for cocaine. Doesn't make a lot of sense, you'd think that they'd have got wise to this after prohibition. Which ironically some politician's families got rich from (bush) to fund their political agendas, even more ironically bush senior was regan's right hand man to fight the war on drugs.

We've seen places in europe have a significant decrease on hard drug use from legalizing less harmful drugs, tobacco does more damage than most of these less harmful drugs. Does no one take a step back and actually think about these things?

I smoke pot and I haven't broke any other laws perhaps save for jwalking or something trivial like that, I hate feeling like a criminal or buying from people who might be. If it was legal I also wouldn't smoke it, i'd more likely ingest it from brownies / cookies or whatever. Which i'm sure would add some longevity to my life..