Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Irrational fear of building my own desktop gaming machine.

Yep. I said it. I got it. Where, I have no idea... Makes no sense to me. When I think about it, I just get a pit in my stomach and want to run away. What should I do?

I could buy one... A really nice one, like a 3-5 thousand dollar one... but I don't want to because well everyone tells me they are way overpriced (alienware?). Then I look at them and say... but I cant build my own can I? They then reply "its as easy as fixing roman noodles". That however doesn't really help me, because I've burnt actually water before fixing roman noodles. Yea, burnt water, the noodles weren't even in the pan, fucked it up. See my problem? Is there and instruction manual somewhere that will make me not feel mentally handicapped? or is it really really ease now days to build a pc?

I looked at the costs for the dolphin and bunny and Unicorn and stuff but... I don't know what any of that means. Are those computers high end?

I felt weird building one too, but when I actually started it, it's seriously "adult legos" lol, and for parts/plugs/etc you don't know what to do with, the mobo manual will help you, and if you have a second computer you can just look online too if you want. You can build a pretty decent mid/high-end one for under 1k, just the tower though. Most pre-built machines are overpriced, although Alienware got much better over the years (lol @ a ~5-800 dollar PC going for ~1.5k+ years ago) but you can still build a better PC for a cheaper price.

The hardest part about my build was the CPU (AMD latches) fan, didn't realize you had to use such force on those puppies, and the second was cable management but that was only due to my small case. Took me about 2 in a half hours to finish it doing my first build ever, excluding the adding of ram/video card/HD's to my old PC it was my first "full build" haha. The rest of the PC was quite easy.
    Last edited by Hayro1; 2012-11-16 at 02:40 AM.

Deleted
    If you don't have a general interest in building or learning how to build your own rig, then I would advise against it.
    If you are interested in getting started, but afraid of screwing up the build, then there's a few pointers I can give you:
    - find a friend who has experience, and pick his/her brain for knowledge
    - for your first build, keep it simple and avoid any lavish stuff such as storage raid configurations (pairing your harddrives) and sli/crossfire (using more than 1 graphics card)
    - acknowledge that it's okay to make mistakes on your first build
    - ignore how long other people supposedly take to build their rigs and take it slow
    - I can recommend this guide

There is nothing irrational about this fear. The parts costs money and it is possible to damage them. I have the same fear. I have been teaching myself to do little fixes here and there in my tower and asking friends to help me with more complicated repairs so I can watch them and learn. Eventually I will feel comfortable to possibly build a computer, but at this point I would rather learn and not waste my money if I make a mistake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drglenn View Post
    If you don't have a general interest in building or learning how to build your own rig, then I would advise against it.
    So so true. It is rather simple to build one. I would suggest watching build videos on youtube where they go through it step by step. I would also reccomend not over spending on your first PC(you know in case you fuck the thing). you get your self a nice little I5 maybe a 660ti. you will be able to run all games at max setting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    Yep. I said it. I got it. Where, I have no idea... Makes no sense to me. When I think about it, I just get a pit in my stomach and want to run away. What should I do?

I could buy one... A really nice one, like a 3-5 thousand dollar one... but I don't want to because well everyone tells me they are way overpriced (alienware?). Then I look at them and say... but I cant build my own can I? They then reply "its as easy as fixing roman noodles". That however doesn't really help me, because I've burnt actually water before fixing roman noodles. Yea, burnt water, the noodles weren't even in the pan, fucked it up. See my problem? Is there and instruction manual somewhere that will make me not feel mentally handicapped? or is it really really ease now days to build a pc?

I looked at the costs for the dolphin and bunny and Unicorn and stuff but... I don't know what any of that means. Are those computers high end?
    Think of it this way every desktop is put together by a person. It may seem like a hard task to accomplish but everyone can do it if you follow the steps and procedures.

It will take time to put it altogether but you'll be satisfied when you'll have it up and running just the way u want it.

Building it yourself is the way to go. Once you do it's cake from there.

Alienwares are overpriced.

What you need first is a budget. How much are you willing to spend for the whole system and also what will you use the pc for (games? wow?).

As far as pc specs go you have to decide between an intel or amd cpu and also between an amd or nvidia video card. I recommend an intel cpu and a nvidia video card.

Once u have a budget to work with I can post links to all the parts u need to complete it.

From there is just you putting it alltogether and configuring it (if u ever stuck or are unsure of something pc related u can ask for help on forums, i'm sure many of us here will be happy to help).

There is a middle ground between alienware and building it yourself, at least here in canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    Those builds are decent parts recommendations at 4 different price/performance points. Puppy being the cheapest/weakest. Unicorn, the most expensive of the 4 and best performance.

The middle ground, if you dont want to learn: Find a small store. Stay away from brand names like dell, hp, ect. Give them one of those list of parts (Narwhal, Unicorn. How much do ya want to spend?). Ask them for a price to build it. If it is significantly higher (more than 10-20%) then the price listed for that list, find a different store (make sure you get the details about the price right, does that price already include windows, ect). Repeat until you find someone who wont rip ya off.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-11-16 at 02:53 AM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha this made me log in to tell you this...

My first computer I built I fried FOUR motherboards while putting it together in Fry's.

DON'T FORGET OT USE YOUR MOTHERBOARD SPACERS! The little brass things that separate the back of your MoBo to the case.

For some odd reason It would just short out every time I applied power to the board...weird...

The good thing is that Fry's didn't know and actually one of their techs walked over and said "psst hey, you gotta use these behind the board" Hint, hint, wink, wink..

Most things in life are not difficult, it's just that we have no experience to start with. If you want to try get a buddy that has built one who can review your work after you are done. The only part you need to watch is when choosing all the parts you want to make sure they work together. Start at the foundation and work up. The motherboard is the place to pay attention since it will dictate all the other parts. The MB determines what cpu's you can use, the size of the case needed, and all the other bits that you can plug in. Putting all the parts together is straight forward. If unsure just ask your buddy or review the instructions that came with the motherboard. At that point you are ready to fire up the computer with a windows install disk. That's easy enough and all you may have to do after that is install a few drivers that came on disks with your motherboard, video card, network card, etc. Or if all else fails, ask a geek at work to do it for you, give them a good dinner and a 6 pack and you are good to go. In any case you can build those high end machines cheaper than 3 to 5 thousand.

Sounds like you're not confident in your knowledge along with the skills you need to build a computer, so I would also advise against it. Many people will say it's simple and easy, but it's from their point of view and typically those people know computers inside out. Lots of things can go wrong and you could end up wasting time and money.

I think your best bet is to go to local computers store that offers computer building services and tell them the parts you want to use and let them give you a price quote. Shop around if you need to, or if you insist, you can buy all the parts elsewhere and bring it to them and ask them to build it for a service fee.

Deleted
    1. It's physically impossible to "burn" water.

2. Building a computer is like building LEGO. If it fits there, it goes there. The only minor annoyance is managing your cables and troubleshooting if a component is DOA. For the latter, this forum is extremely helpful as well as general logic.

It's not that bad building your own, i never had an intrest in doing so until my previous PC(my first one aswell) crapped out just before wotlk launched.
    Went on to ebuyer(uk) and started selecting my parts and reading the compatibility stuff and matching it up, once it all arrived it was straight forward cant really go wrong because it's all very straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by drglenn View Post
    If you are interested in getting started, but afraid of screwing up the build, then there's a few pointers I can give you:
    - find a friend who has experience, and pick his/her brain for knowledge
    - for your first build, keep it simple and avoid any lavish stuff such as storage raid configurations (pairing your harddrives) and sli/crossfire (using more than 1 graphics card)
    - acknowledge that it's okay to make mistakes on your first build
    - ignore how long other people supposedly take to build their rigs and take it slow
    - I can recommend this guide
    I agree with this, HOWEVER, I HIGHLY recommend that you get a case that is designed for maximum airflow, not one that just looks cool. A case such as the Coolermaster HAF X is a great example. While some people hate its looks, the design for cooling is amazing. It is also a case that is designed for custom builds. You can easily install/remove hard drives, and it has a good cable management system. Cable management is another thing to look at. You want to "hide" as many of the cables as you can. Most cases these days have a raised tray the motherboard sits on (more raised than some in the past). This allows you to hide the cables underneath it, which promotes better airflow in the case.

If you get a good case, you can keep it and use it in any future build. Heat is a big enemy for gaming, so keep that in mind when case shopping.

And keep your system dust free!
    Last edited by Jekerdud; 2012-11-16 at 09:30 AM.

Deleted
    Dude, I was a little scared too but it's as easy as Lego and I mean that.

And don't follow Dolphin builds etc, it would be better if you told us your budget/need pheripals etc and then we can make a build for you, optimal for your needs.

So far I have built my own computer and one for a friend.

Both still running strong.

Why? Because you buy quality parts and don't buy AlienCrap, please don't.

Oh and this is the video that helped me:

Please note that some parts may differ, doesn't make it any harder tbh.

I can now build a pc in 20 minutes or so.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-11-16 at 09:32 AM.

I can understand your fear since some parts just brake to easily even if it is just a overgrown lego construction.

However having said that their are ways around it

First buy your parts from a single website which also gives the option of assembling it together (for a small fee ofcourse)
    Second find a friend or family who has experience and doesn't mind this small favour

Deleted
    Just give us a budget and I am sure the nice people here can put together a more than decent system for you.

3-5 thousand dollars? You want a pc or a spaceship?

But no, you can make a killer rig with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH it is easy to learn how to build a computer..

ill give you the tip I got when I learned how to build a computer for the first time.

If the wire fits that is where it needs to be.
    The only thing you really have to lookout for the cpu cooler. remember to put small amount of cooling paste in the middle before plugging the cooler on. That should do the trick.

Else I can recommend getting the book building computers for dummies
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

It's extremely easy. At most it would take you an hour after looking at the manuals, but honestly, i'd say the hardest part is finding where the case button switches go, everything else is extremely easy. The only thing you could realisitically screw up is the processor alignment but i dont think that happens since socket s754.
    Either way, there's no reason not to, everything is extremely user friendly nowadays.

On a good day i could probably throw a rig together in less then 15 minutes. ( A not very good rig, mind you. )

Saying that building a rig is scary is like saying that installing an operating system is scray - it isnt!

And if you still dont want to build it, get someone you know who can do it do it for you, and you just buy the components to avoid the ludicrously overpriced prebuilts.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    if you have 3-5 grand to burn, the first thing i would do is spend about 500 of it on a low end computer, cheap case, cpu, gpu, psu, cooler etc, then put it together, and take it apart a few times till you are confident with assembly and handling the hardware, as well as installing the OS, i would install a few different ones, windows, linux etc

then start your research for your actual rig, you should probably spend about a month or so reading up on parts, read reviews, both the good and the bad ones, we can help here in the build section, but you want to make sure that you are comfortable with the parts you have chosen, then build it and have fun

also, do not be stubborn if there is a part you want and everyone tells you not to buy it, most enthusiasts here have built many computers and have worked with tons of parts, often they will go through several parts before they like one and have first hand experience with many of the bad ones that seem cool at first

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    if you have 3-5 grand to burn, the first thing i would do is spend about 500 of it on a low end computer, cheap case, cpu, gpu, psu, cooler etc, then put it together, and take it apart a few times till you are confident with assembly and handling the hardware, as well as installing the OS, i would install a few different ones, windows, linux etc

then start your research for your actual rig, you should probably spend about a month or so reading up on parts, read reviews, both the good and the bad ones, we can help here in the build section, but you want to make sure that you are comfortable with the parts you have chosen, then build it and have fun

also, do not be stubborn if there is a part you want and everyone tells you not to buy it, most enthusiasts here have built many computers and have worked with tons of parts, often they will go through several parts before they like one and have first hand experience with many of the bad ones that seem cool at first
    I'd agree but I'd allow stubborn choices on your GPU, if you want such and such gpu for w/e reason if it will get the job done overkill or not I say it get it. This however does not mean everyone will support you, nor does it mean putting a 690 in an i3 build is a good idea.