Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blade Lord Ta'yak - Tornado Phase Suggestions?

My group got the hang of the first phase pretty well, but for some reason we always struggled really hard with the tornado phase at the end. We tried several different strategies, but always had trouble getting more than 5 people alive when he flew back to the other side at 10%. Eventually we did get a kill, but it felt very messy, and I dread doing it again next week. And unfortunately no, I don't have logs of it.

We rotated in a couple of people, but our kill group ended up being:
    Tank - Monk, Paladin
    Healers - Shaman, Druid
    DPS - Shadow Priest, Rogue, DK, Warlock, Boomkin, Hunter

Out of the strategies we tried, we popped dual Tranquility at the start to top off the raid before going across the first time, as well as Stampeding Roar. Later we used Symbiosis on the Shaman to give the Druid the Spiritwalker's Grace so that they could move while casting Tranquility. Tornado dodging skills aside, we usually got everyone to the other side alive on the first pass.

Going back, however, the biggest problem was that damage was coming in far faster than the healers could heal, and anyone without defensive cooldowns couldn't really make it across. We couldn't get a healer successfully to the other side. We also neglected to use Stampeding Roar on the way back for some reason on our kill attempt, but it doesn't seem like that should be a requirement to have a druid for a kill, so I'm not sure what we're missing.

Any suggestions on when to use defensive cooldowns, are any particularly more important to save at a certain time? Also, how do the healers deal with healing the entire raid while on the move?

use cover with wind sides to go other side when boss at 11%,
    and use 3rd healer

At the start of the phase wait a few beats to top people off. Other than that, your comp has a lot of healing on the move options that it shouldn't really be a problem.. you have a druid, a shaman that should glyph riptide, and can use SWG to cast while moving.. the priest should be using PoM, throwing out shields or renews, same with the boomkin. You have warlock rocks, and every class has personal CDs they can use to reduce damage, pretty sure the rogue will take very minimal damage by using feint? As a monk tank I really need no heals either way, expel harm, guard, and if needed, chi wave, keeps myself alive. I doubt the pally would need stuff either, so you should tell your healers which people dont really need heals at all so they can focus on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    and use 3rd healer
    Does the 3rd healer help out a lot? We did spend a lot of attempts doing it with 3 healers, and actually the priest was one before we switched. When we felt that wasn't working and thought most other groups were only doing 2, we swapped, but it only saved one stack of Intensify.

Quote Originally Posted by stoik View Post
    At the start of the phase wait a few beats to top people off. Other than that, your comp has a lot of healing on the move options that it shouldn't really be a problem.. you have a druid, a shaman that should glyph riptide, and can use SWG to cast while moving.. the priest should be using PoM, throwing out shields or renews, same with the boomkin. You have warlock rocks, and every class has personal CDs they can use to reduce damage, pretty sure the rogue will take very minimal damage by using feint? As a monk tank I really need no heals either way, expel harm, guard, and if needed, chi wave, keeps myself alive. I doubt the pally would need stuff either, so you should tell your healers which people dont really need heals at all so they can focus on the rest.
    I think the problem with the defensive cooldowns is that we use most of them on the way there, so that we don't really have any on the way back. The paladin tank and I aren't very helpful with the heals on the run since we're pretty starved of holy power and chi, but maybe that's to be expected. I'm not sure what exactly the priest and boomkin were doing, so I will check with them next week, that might be a big part of it. We did have certain people getting across consistently, so I'll keep that in mind about where the healers should focus as well.

I don't know how good Boomkin->resto HotW is, but as a bear tank I use heart for that fight and pop it at the start of phase 2. I Tranq once we land, then blanket rejuv on the raid as I'm running across. Just those two spells will add up to ~3-400k healing per person on the way over, and is the only CD we use, leaving all of our healer CDs available for the 2nd run.

I'd also repeat this advice:
    When the boss is about to switch sides, you can hop in the wind patches on the sides to shoot straight back to the other side before he does. It's not something we bother with (since he's not particularly difficult for us on normal, not because it's bad idea), but it's worth a shot if you're willing to coordinate it. At the very least, you can hop in the sides as he's moving across the room and get about halfway down before they reverse direction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    and use 3rd healer
    Agree with the 11%, disagree with the 3 healers.

We have our shadow priest stay at the boss to get it down to 10% (topped up and HoTs rolling). At 11% the rest of us jump into the stream on the sides and make it to the other side. We 2 healed this, shaman and paladin. Had a HotW Tranq with healing stream on the the first part. Second part the shaman didn't make it, but I was able to keep the raid up with out too much trouble.

(Heroic, but should convert to normal)
    We Spirit Shell right before 20%, SWG+Tranq on the way there, personals and healthstones when you need them, Stampeding Roar on the way back. We used 3 healers: Druid, Disc, and Monk. IDK what or when our Monk uses things. Looks like you have more raid CDs than us though.

You do not want to wait to move at any point. He'll gain more Intensity. Also, I wouldn't use Priest Tranq. It heals for so little it's completely useless.

Just a quick thank you to everyone who left suggestions! We will definitely give them a try next week. They make a lot of sense, and now I'm kind of excited to try it again. Hopefully we'll get a one-shot.

Does the boss switch sides at 11%? And does he only do it once?
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Does the boss switch sides at 11%? And does he only do it once?
    Tornado phase at 20%, swaps sides at 10%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your raiders suck, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Tornado phase at 20%, swaps sides at 10%.
    O dang, I never knew that, thought it was time-based, good to know.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by Farkir View Post
    Your raiders suck, period.
    Your comment is worthless. Period.

OP : Also don't forget that the boss stack his damage increasing buff pretty fast in p2, so at 10% his damage gets pretty hight.
    So I would recommend using personnal cd for the 10 -> 0% phase. Just by precaution while learning the fight.

Deleted
    Just a side note, you can use three healers, but the stacks of his buff to damage and attack speed will increase more during phase one so the damage output is far higher. We tried three healers first and died on second phase each time (around 17-19 stacks), switched to 2 healers and had 10-11 stacks. Less damage in phase 2 means its less to heal, and for us, the run between platforms was the most dangerous part so we had to neglect as much damage as possible between. Also, 1 more dps means shorter second phase so you shouldn't run three healers (healing phase 1 with two healers is quite a joke how easy it is).

I understand your feeling of it being dread to go back again. Our kill was with 4 people alive with a few seconds alive. I was thinking the same thing as you since we had our few share of wipes. But we oneshotted it the week after.

Deleted
    make sure the shaman is using the riptide glyph, or else he's going to be completly useless in the last phase while running.

Deleted
    You've got some good utility with your dps as far as offhealing goes, so they should be doing some healing during the run there - rejuvs, shields etc. Healers stagger their movement CDs (spiritwalkers). Personal damage reduction CDs, healthstones etc, everyone needs to take some responsibility for ensuring their survival during the run over

Later we used Symbiosis on the Shaman to give the Druid the Spiritwalker's Grace
    This should be enough to keep your guys up as long as your guys aren't hitting tornadoes. Are you popping roar to get there faster? Popping Devo Aura right as you get sucked into the middle helps mitigate the incoming damage so you can start off higher than 30% when you land.

Also make sure your guys are using their personal CDs wisely (ie after the raid walls go down) - the druid should be spamming regrowths as he's running with spritwalkers.

We have a druid doing exactly that in our kill video (pre nerf with narration)

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you not able to make the enrage timer 3 healing this?

And is your druid putting his symbiosis on the warlock so that he can use the warlocks portal to get behind the boss and completely skip the annoying spawn points of the tornados?

10+ Year Old Account
    We 3 heal it. Make sure everyone is topped of by before 20%. Keep one healer at the start, one healing everyone as they are moving up, and one who rushes to the end and heals as people approach.

The warlock trick is a great idea. We didn't have one but we did 2 heal it because of the soft enrage (the stacking damage / haste buff before tornado phase)