Considering quitting multiplayer gaming overall

I'm just tired of carrying terrible people or people who lack effort so others have to fill in for them.

This trickles from WoW, to rift, to LoL to dota 2 to any multiplayer game really. Even fps's & rts's.

You just get tired of it. I'm not saying I'm pro or the best player in the world. I actually think it has more to do with me than anybody else, but why put myself through it.

I'm not terrible, I'm new to some games but I learn so fast that I actually take pride in saying it rather than most people who jump into a job interview saying it like its scrap. Most of my friends aren't the game gamers but they sure aren't terrible. When you strive to be really good sometimes you just get held back and you want to push forward or get mad but you can't. So you make up for them. Thats why I consider quitting. So I don't have to deal with this situation, but at the same time I don't. Sometimes I just feel like telling off my friends and I feel terrible at that moment, but then I feel great when winning, but then feel bad because they aren't playing because they have no one to play with but me.

I just don't know what to do.

Theres that game for xbox called happy fighters or happy something where a bunch of people just rush in and kill each other build towers & stuff. Its aimed at casuals. You can be good at the game or terrible and either way you only have to worry about your own effort. A single one person can make a difference in the fights.

I just wish more games were like that. I mean in LoL or Dota 2 if someone is fed thats true, but its not fun for the others if that happens. The teammates or the opposing. You just sit there and hope you get a kill on both sides and just get face smashed.

I don't know what to do, I just really don't

10+ Year Old Account
    Follow your heart...

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Follow your heart...
    Agreed, and quitting is possible. I quit MMOs several months ago, and haven't had any desire to play them again.
    Once you quit you'd be surprised about how much free time you will have (if you come from a competitive guild).
    So be ready to adopt a new hobby. I started volunteering, having a great time.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Its not just mmo's though. I mentioned LoL/dota aka moba's (not the only 2 but the bigger ones) & a few fps's which is obvious which ones most people play nowadays.

Deleted
    I got "Burnt out" a few months ago and quit wow, gaming overall to be honest. Instead I found great joy with modding, editing and concept art.
    Try to be creative with a game and mod it, the reward of having something YOU have created inside an awesome game is priceless and lots of fun.
    At the same time you learn about the inner workings of games, how meshes and textures are created and applied, quests and dialogues and so on.

Give it a chance, you might like the creative side of games better than the actual gameplay

Edit: There are amazing tutorials on how to mod, edit games on youtube so you're not left alone. Although a bit of self teaching is required.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-11-16 at 04:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could quit, but then you would be missing out on so much. Yes its annoying having to deal with baddies, but its fun to also own baddies lol. I honestly think you should stick it out and take the good with the bad. Try playing with friends more maybe, i don't know. I just think it would be a silly idea to quit it all together.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just did the same actually. I've been putting the majority of my time into Minecraft, whether it's building.. trying out mods for the game or whatever, and it's been great
    Can express a ton of creativity in that game (and one's like it). Have a go at that genre

So quit. You're not getting a divorce, you won't be losing your house and kids in the settlement. Don't see why it has to seem like such a big decision. Quit for a while, take a break, play single player games, and if the urge comes back to play multiplayer games then try it out.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a bad thing, I've always prefered SP to MP. I don't PvP in WoW and I like to quest in PvE zones alone. Multiplayer has never been my thing. Hell, back when I still played Halo . . . I played the campaign and ignored the MP.

Sure, every now and then I'll play the ME3 multiplayer, but I much prefer the campaign. Games like CoD or BF? Not for me.

So there's no harm in admitting you're an SP junkie and not an MP junkie.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    You can't play 24/7 SP-Games. I always need a Timesink-Game and these are 99% Multiplayer. Right now I play SC2, FIFA13, BF3 and D3 all MP-Only. SP-Games from time to time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play someone like Starcraft 2? Where its your own individual skill that decides whether you win or lose but you're still playing a 'multi-player' game against actual other people.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    they have no one to play with but me.
    Can't they just play with each other?
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Honestly I think quitting mmorpg's is probably a good thing. Any multi-player game in general though... it depends on your life. If you just need a way to get rid of stress I recommend getting a job full of hard labor though to make whatever you do less stressful and lets you end the day feeling like you actually accomplished something. Anyone even half decent at gaming knows that you won't get that feeling of accomplishment very much when you play with scrubs and/or randoms every day. I worked on a farm for years doing heavy manual labor and recently started a job as a butcher. Nothing I have experienced before is more De-stressing than mutilating dead animals with a very sharp knife and ending the days with free meat and beers.

i actualy find it funny. often i've been proven right in the fact, that people who cry about carrying other people through LoL and WoW, and back in the days when i played CSS, that thye are the ones ruining the game the next time, unable to learn tacs, feeding the enemy, or just simply being bad that game.

hell, i've been there myself, having a perfect game 3 times in a row, then simply being useless the 2 next.
    and i bet you've been there aswell.

Deleted
    I know full well that I can hold people back, especially in LoL, Dota and competitive FPS team games, and more than one friend who takes their gaming seriously has said "No, I'm not gonna play with you, you feed too much."

Most of my friends aren't the game gamers but they sure aren't terrible. When you strive to be really good sometimes you just get held back and you want to push forward or get mad but you can't. So you make up for them. Thats why I consider quitting. So I don't have to deal with this situation, but at the same time I don't. Sometimes I just feel like telling off my friends and I feel terrible at that moment, but then I feel great when winning, but then feel bad because they aren't playing because they have no one to play with but me.
    So in order not to feel bad about the way you are, you're willing to stop playing these games completely, presumabley you enjoy them and want to play them, so you're basically punishing yourself to try and be a good friend. It's very commendable and you sound like a good friend but you can't always cater to other people. Just tell them you're doing ranked play and they're not quite up to that yet. If they are reasonable people they will understand. If they don't have other people to play with, that's not your fault... they are capable of finding their own friends and their own team.

This is entirely coming from the point of view of someone who has been told this by friends and ditched because of my skill level btw, and yeah... it doesn't feel great to know that you suck and your friends would rather not play with you... I do get disappointed sometimes to see my friends playing games without me but it'd suck even more if I found out one of my friends was actually thinking about quitting multiplayer gaming because I wasn't skilled enough.

And I'm not saying totally screw your friends over and stop playing with them either... You could always create a smurf account (or alts in MMOs) to play low-level with less skilled people for the fun and social interaction and play non competitive games with your friends... there are plenty of co-op/campaign style games out there that you can still play to have fun with your friends and then hop onto league or dota or into a raid or whatever with a team of the right skill level to satisfy your competitive needs too.

Find a compromise, it doesn't really sound like you want to quit all these multiplayer games, it sounds like you're just frustrated and taking the extreme solution.

Play online games with duel mode? That way it's all up to you.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I'm not terrible, I'm new to some games but I learn so fast that I actually take pride in saying it rather than most people who jump into a job interview saying it like its scrap. Most of my friends aren't the game gamers but they sure aren't terrible. When you strive to be really good sometimes you just get held back and you want to push forward or get mad but you can't. So you make up for them. Thats why I consider quitting. So I don't have to deal with this situation, but at the same time I don't. Sometimes I just feel like telling off my friends and I feel terrible at that moment, but then I feel great when winning, but then feel bad because they aren't playing because they have no one to play with but me.
    I don't get it, why not just move on and play with people on your own perceived level.., if your friends stop being friends because of that, they weren't your friends to begin with!

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO Multiplayer discouraged me from Multiplayer gaming. So when i left MMO's i went back to my consoles. Invited friends over to play Soul Calibur. I embarrassed every one of them. So i started playing some Single Player RPG's such as Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalaur. Those were a lot of fun, but i missed playing with friends. Then a friend of mine realized my passion for Racing Games, and introduced me to Forza 4.

I have played Nearly all of the Gran Tourismo's, Quite a few NFS's and a few other misc racing games such as Juiced and Midnight club and DiRT. I love Rally and i love Drifting so he introduced me to the world of Forza Drifting. First few weeks i was pretty bad, then once i got used to racing Manual in the game, and with out any assists (no ABS no Traction control, no stability control) I started getting better. Now after about 3-4 months of playing i kick my friends's ass. So OP i'm just like you, i pick up on things in games very very fast. Once my friend no longer provided much of a challenge, i finally bought Xbox Live Gold. Now i play online in Forza, First day i played online i was in the top 1% of 1.5 million drifters on most tracks. I find there are those who are pretty terrible, just smashing into one another and ruining peoples run by driving super slow or just losing control around every other turn. But more than not, i find really good players who are courteous, and know those unspoken rules of drifting.

Moral of this story is, My faith in Online Multiplayer has been restored by an unlikely source! A racing game made me realize that i do not have to carry everyone, i can do my own thing and not really worry about the others. As long as everyone does their job, everyone will have a whole lot of fun!

(p.s. my gamer tag is FizNpop. If you want to drift send me a message. Score Examples: Bernese Alps, 190k 3 laps, Fujimi Stage D 70k, Maple Valley 170k 3 Laps. If you are in this range, Lets Drift! If not, i can perhaps give you some pointers.)

Ford Fiesta...All Day!

OP, I bet you spent a lot of time in MMOs and thus completely missed any other gaming. Just look more for single player games, where success doesn't depend from X other people, and playing which won't make you to schedule life around game sessions. Withdrawal symptoms might be hard to pass through, but in the end you will see that world is not only about MMOs.

I am in somewhat similar position with you (it was like being hitten by brick in face with WoW lately) though for other reasons, and I keep finding how much I lost while spending time and resources in MMO projects. There are so much interesting games out there, which are not necessarily MMO-based.