Convincing my guild to let me switch mains

So my current situation is that I joined a 25 man raiding guild a couple months before Pandaria released on my Ret/Prot Pally. MoP dropped and I enjoyed raiding on my pally as retribution main spec and the guilds 3rd tank. We are are currently 6/6 MSV and 2/6 HoF with steady progression, not the worlds best guild but for a mostly casual group we try to keep up. I decided to level a Warrior during my off time from raiding and have completely fallen in love with the class. I want to switch mains and fulfill the same roll melee dps/tank. What is the best way to go about bringing this up with my guilds leadership?

edit: The two main tanks are a Prot Pally and DK so I assume it would also be better to have a Warrior as the 3rd tank rather than a second paladin.
    Last edited by Johnx014; 2012-11-15 at 11:22 PM.

Ensure that you've put in every effort possible in getting your warrior to a raiding standard. That mean's max your professions, learn the class, gem and enchant everything, spec properly, get full 463 and some crafted gear. It will show that you're serious about it and you don't just want to ride the loot train in quest gear.

Also, it's likely they would prefer a warrior over a ret anyway assuming your raid group isn't already stacked with warriors. Never hurts to have an extra shattering throw, skull banner and rallying cry up your sleeve.

Keep in mind that the Monk was added to the hunter/shaman/warrior token. that may cause a bit of concern. Other than that do what the above poster said. I wouldnt ahve an issue with a main swap, 25m its not as critical.

As dorfie said, enchanting, gemming and gearing up the warrior as much as possible should go long way as to convince your officers you are serious about it. It's so much easier to swap main when the alt you are switching to is geared enough to tackle the bosses you are progressing on.

Getting some of the ilvl 476 crafted plate for example is a good idea, that stuff is usually pretty cheap nowadays, and most likely better then any dungeon drop. Once you feel geared enough you should to start with show your guilds leadership you can pull your weight with that warrior. At least in my guild, swapping to an alt that fills the same role on a farm kill is something we usually allow.
    Also make sure they are aware of the utility you can bring as a warrior.

As everyone else mentioned- get him up to snuff with what you can and have available. On top of this, make sure you also let them know that for progression you don't have an issue playing your paladin until your warrior catches up. Make sure there is no hassle when swapping toons- make as little of an imprint as possible. Don't need summons, food, flasks, forget to repair etc.

If your guild has a lot of plate DPS that you've been given gear before them then they might be the main source of grief- as no one likes seeing two of one player's toons get geared before their own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    So my current situation is that I joined a 25 man raiding guild a couple months before Pandaria released on my Ret/Prot Pally. MoP dropped and I enjoyed raiding on my pally as retribution main spec and the guilds 3rd tank. We are are currently 6/6 MSV and 2/6 HoF with steady progression, not the worlds best guild but for a mostly casual group we try to keep up. I decided to level a Warrior during my off time from raiding and have completely fallen in love with the class. I want to switch mains and fulfill the same roll melee dps/tank. What is the best way to go about bringing this up with my guilds leadership?

edit: The two main tanks are a Prot Pally and DK so I assume it would also be better to have a Warrior as the 3rd tank rather than a second paladin.
    Extra skull banners is always good! But hey, if you put effort in it, you should be able to make the change just fine.

A good idea is saying, that you will wait starting to raid, before you got some decent gear/can pull out some decent numbers.

Warrior (In my opnion), trumps everything a Retri can bring, be it Single target, AoE, Skull Banner. The only thing is Devotion is slightly better than Rallying Cry.

15+ Year Old Account
    As you're basically swapping a melee dps/tank OS for a melee dps/tank OS, i wouldn't really see a problem with it - especially in 25s where the buffs you might bring as ret are probably covered elsewhere.

It was more ineteresting at the end of TBC when i wanted to swap from a resto druid to a enhancement shaman, the guild didn't have a enhancement shaman (which were a massive buff to the melee group at the time, but i was also one of the best healers in the guild at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    The only thing is Devotion is slightly better than Rallying Cry.
    It was until they made every AoE spell physical damage:

-Force and Verve on Zorlok
    -everything on Blade Lord
    -Crush on Garalon
    -Rain of Blades on Wind Lord
    -Dissonance Fields on Empress

Having raid lead for 7 years I have seen this so many times. I have been saying for years that you recruit the person not the class. Our comp blows this expansion and we're still progressing at the pace we wanted. If you make someone "take one for the team" by playing a class they don't enjoy then you'll lose that player. I'll let people switch to anything they want and we'll just find a way to make it work.

If your guild won't let you play the class you want to play you have no place in that guild. You pay the monthly fee every month just as they do. They can't force you to play something you do not want to play. If they can't accept that /gquit. Let them find another puppet.