Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Media] Joss Whedon, the greatest thing to happen to Film ever ?

Just throwing this out there,

everything he touches turns to gold, and even if the public sometimes doesnt recognize it, it has still been gold !

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    Just throwing this out there,

everything he touches turns to gold, and even if the public sometimes doesnt recognize it, it has still been gold !
    As much as I love Whedon's stuff (and I do), not everything he touches turns to gold unfortunately.

Avengers did well, and obviously Buffy and Angel did pretty damned well, but Firefly (as amazing as that series was) bombed in the ratings (hence the cancellation), and Serenity wasn't enough to save the franchise.

Dollshouse, again, was another problem series that offered alot initially but just didn't have the longevity to make it (which is a shame as I liked the first series quite a lot; 2nd series was pretty unfocused).

He's a guy that creates a lot of critically acclaimed niche series that get a solid cult following, but just don't seem to make it in a wider audience, which is a real shame as it just shows that the general population have strange perceptions of quality television.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendrel View Post
    As much as I love Whedon's stuff (and I do), not everything he touches turns to gold unfortunately.

Avengers did well, and obviously Buffy and Angel did pretty damned well, but Firefly (as amazing as that series was) bombed in the ratings (hence the cancellation), and Serenity wasn't enough to save the franchise.

Dollshouse, again, was another problem series that offered alot initially but just didn't have the longevity to make it (which is a shame as I liked the first series quite a lot; 2nd series was pretty unfocused).

He's a guy that creates a lot of critically acclaimed niche series that get a solid cult following, but just don't seem to make it in a wider audience, which is a real shame as it just shows that the general population have strange perceptions of quality television.
    He actually did so much more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Whedon

Dollhouse cancellation made sense, would Firefly have been released nowadays i am sure that it would run for at least 4 seasons !
    The world has become way nerdier

I don't know about 'greatest', but he's certainly one of the shining lights out there. I honestly can't wait for the Marvel Cinematic Universe TV show he's doing, that will be ridiculously amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    He actually did so much more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Whedon

Dollhouse cancellation made sense, would Firefly have been released nowadays i am sure that it would run for at least 4 seasons !
    The world has become way nerdier
    Oh I know, I just didn't have the time to analyse his entire filmography :P
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Deleted
    These days it would seem that "Reality" Shows (and I use that word loosley) and Talent shows are all the majority of the TV viewing Public think is "Quality Viewing"
    I remember when I was 13-14 I would sit in front of the TV with my father and watch the likes of The A-Team, Starsky and Hutch and other great early saturday night TV shows with some home made Pizza's and a glass of home brew beer (I was only allowed a half pint with lemonade"

These days though, Saturday night TV is more about who can sing, who can dance, or a "reality show" who can survive some sort of stupid challenge like climbing out of a car suspended from a crane with out falling off.

As for Joss Wheadon, Yes I think as a director of Big budget action movies he is beginning to take his first few steps, and with Avengers has firmly made his mark and looks like he will be one of the great action movie directors. Can only hope that he builds on this success and doesn't turn into another Uwe Boll

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    call me sour, but Avengers was a good FUN movie, but the way everyone hyped it, that's all it really was in my opinion an Over-hyped Over-rated Movie. Had little to NO substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    call me sour, but Avengers was a good FUN movie, but the way everyone hyped it, that's all it really was in my opinion an Over-hyped Over-rated Movie. Had little to NO substance.
    That's all it's really meant to be. These team up movies are difficult in that you have so many 'main' characters, each with their own stories and personalities. You can't give too much focus to one character, or you don't do justice to a different one.

The actual story and personal development will be in the individual movies. The Avengers movies are for when shit gets real, and we need explosions. Lots of explosions.

That said there were still some brilliant characterisation moments in the Avengers, and we know Whedon can give us solid, believeable and interesting characters, so it's not a big deal. Enjoy Avengers for what it was, and look forward to the upcoming TV series.

In a word, no. I like Whedon, but I can't see calling him that.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who strongly disliked Buffy from the start, and saw him milk that cow into the ground, I'm actually glad Firefly didn't go on for too long.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    He's one of the better contemporary film-makers in American cinema around at the moment, in my opinion, but there's been more prestigious people come before him. Francis Ford Coppola, Sergio Leone (and the guy he gave a break, Clint Eastwood, actually), Speilberg (probably the best director/producer of mainstream movies), all pretty amazing and better than Whedon, I'd argue. I'd list people like Hitchcock etc, but I haven't seen enough of their movies to judge.

Personally, I think Danny Boyle is the best "younger" film-maker around at the moment. But, Joss Whedon is still damn good and his is one of the few names I get excited about when I hear discussion of film-makers' new projects.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-11-16 at 01:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing Whedon did that blew my mind was Firefly. I've liked his other stuff, and he's definitely someone whose work I make a point to check out, but there are others who put out more sophisticated stuff imo.

I watched There Will Be Blood a couple months ago and I'm still reeling from that film. Paul Thomas Anderson is amazing. Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Quentin Tarentino, Clint Eastwood, Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men...omg...insane).

Yeah, I like Whedon, but I think what separates him from my faves is that his work feels a bit dumbed down by comparison. Not as complex or layered. It is enjoyable, though. I bought The Avengers and Cabin in the Woods. They don't stick to my ribs like others I've mentioned, though.

Joss Whedon is the boss. I wouldn't call him the greatest ever, but I thoroughly enjoy his work.
    Firefly got killed by money hungry owners. If they would've given it a chance, it may have risen to heights like BSG. It's probably the best canceled Sci-Fi series ever.

i also really enjoy his work... my favourite thing he has done is Dr Horrible's Sing-along Blog which i watch at least once a week on youtube ( any musical that stars neil patrick harris and nathan fillion is pretty gold in my book ), followed very closely by Firefly and its movie sequel. also i grew up on Buffy. i hated Dollhouse though.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

To answer the OP: No.

However, Joss Whedon is excellent at creating scripts and dialogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.

Wasn't it FOX that fucked up Firefly? Something about them airing the episodes in the complete wrong order so none of them made any sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Great Director and writer to my mind, but not the greatest going.

From what I read, he co-wrote "Waterworld", so any of his subsequent credits can and should be seen as penance for that crime :P
    Don't forget writing the screenplay for Alien: Resurrection! He's managed to keep that very hush-hush ever since. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Dollhouse turned to gold. LOL
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Because Dollhouse turned to gold. LOL
    You didnt like season 1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Don't forget writing the screenplay for Alien: Resurrection! He's managed to keep that very hush-hush ever since. xD
    Surprisingly, his original Resurrection design was more like Firefly, with Aliens. However, the way that particular film turned out is more to blame on the director of City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Almost everything wrong with it is down to Jeunet and the film feels over all far more like one of his twisted adventures than anything Whedon would have made. The only things that potentially linger from Whedon's designs are the mercenary's characters and interactions. The start of the film feels a *lot* like it's Whedon directing it, then it kind of just goes insane and way over to Jeunet's own designs (he Wormtongue-esque scientist onwards).

To quote Whedon:

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."