Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i wish blizzard would give us the same talent warlocks got this expac and run around with no pet

Quote Originally Posted by Crooklyn View Post
    i wish blizzard would give us the same talent warlocks got this expac and run around with no pet
    Probably will never happen tbh. Pretty sure Blizzard doesnt listen to the hunter community at all with how they're doing things now

Deleted
    I'm a hunter for 7years and I love my pets. BM is annoying to play because of the number of cooldowns, not because of the pet. The pet is a great addition to hunter play in any spec, it's how hunter has always worked and today it's so much easier to manage a hunter than it used to be.

Hunters are known for the lifelong bonds they form with animals of the wild, training great hawks, cats, bears, and many other beasts to fight alongside them.
    I hope this will never change. It's what makes a hunter a hunter and not a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post
    I'm a hunter for 7years and I love my pets. BM is annoying to play because of the number of cooldowns, not because of the pet. The pet is a great addition to hunter play in any spec, it's how hunter has always worked and today it's so much easier to manage a hunter than it used to be.

I hope this will never change. It's what makes a hunter a hunter and not a mage.
    Do Mages use bows? Does any class except hunter use bows?

Why does the idea of a bow/gun have to be exclusively tied to the idea of having a pet?

The thing is, they could easily fix this.

You have your beast out, and then you cast a new spell that sacrifices it. This provides the hunter a buff called "Spirit of the Beast" or something which gives the same raid buff as the sacrificed pet.

Then you have a passive that provides a % bonus damage when the pet is not active. This doesn't have to be mandatory, and the % damage could even be less than the actual pet (5k dps less?). Not the same so that Blizz can encourage use of pets, but not too low so that it is no longer viable not to have a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    The thing is, they could easily fix this.

You have your beast out, and then you cast a new spell that sacrifices it. This provides the hunter a buff called "Spirit of the Beast" or something which gives the same raid buff as the sacrificed pet.

Then you have a passive that provides a % bonus damage when the pet is not active. This doesn't have to be mandatory, and the % damage could even be less than the actual pet (5k dps less?). Not the same so that Blizz can encourage use of pets, but not too low so that it is no longer viable not to have a pet.
    Put it as a marksman exclusive, and ensure that the bonus damage will at least equal or slightly exceed having a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Put it as a marksman exclusive, and ensure that the bonus damage will at least equal or slightly exceed having a pet.
    Well, this is assuming that they want the hunter to be a pet class. They could make it similar to 2h vs DW Dk Frost where the spec is viable for both, but 2h is pulling ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Well, this is assuming that they want the hunter to be a pet class. They could make it similar to 2h vs DW Dk Frost where the spec is viable for both, but 2h is pulling ahead.
    Honestly, I'd prefer another physical ranged class altogether (which I have a hunch they will release at some point).

Send/Recall, Passive/Assist. That is extent to which you need to manage your pet, and it is only centered around keeping your pet from face pulling mobs.

Pets got 80% AoE resistance and other things like knock-back immunity, in most cases, during Wrath. Unless your pet pulls aggro it will never die, and through your pet's talent tree you never have to feed your pet. It's now been over two years since we had to worry about our pets getting killed to standard boss mechanics. No more having to constantly recall your pet or worry about having to work Mend Pet into your rotation. (Ugh, makes me think of Twin Valks during ToC. So much AoE damage on pets)

Those minor things involving your pet is no different then Rogues having to use Poisons or any other number of class specific mechanics that are required for maximum possible DPS. The one difference is your specialty mechanic is something that looks cool and follows you around. Also with the normalization of pet damage you can now largely choose a pet based strictly on it's looks. Unlike like Wrath when you had to use a Wolf and a Wolf only for raiding in order to achieve max DPS.
    Last edited by Organoth; 2012-11-21 at 01:51 AM.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Honestly, I'd prefer another physical ranged class altogether (which I have a hunch they will release at some point).
    That's possible, but it would be difficult... and even if it does happen, it will probably not be an archer, more like a shadow hunter.

They've given too many abilities that you would give to a standard archer to the Hunter for them to easily make a new Archer class.

Bind /petattack to your most common single target attack abilities, or look up pvp Hunter macros, I would recommend Braindeadly - his are up somewhere on his youtube page.

MM is the weakest out of the three specs right now. You will struggle to kill anything in pvp as a MM hunter let alone running MM without keeping your pet optimised on your main kill target.

I like the whole sacrifice thing posts people are making, but the OP says he likes the RoS and Master's Call utility.

This, along with the ranged weapon exclusivity, is part of the deal now folks. You either like it or you don't; there is no middle ground here - for now at least.
    Last edited by Frazzle.d; 2012-11-21 at 02:03 AM.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

You improve your gear to increase your damage every so often, yes?

That's no different to a pet, which is actually a considerable amount of damage together alongside yours... so if you ain't utilising your pet, there's no point playing a hunter then.

Who knows - maybe in the future, Blizz might do what they did with Warlocks, and give them a talent similar to warlock's that sacrifices pet usage for an increased damage output without a pet for MM.

10+ Year Old Account
    umm there are plenty of class out there that do not have pets, if you don't mind your dps going down then don't use one....Some of us would use more than one pet if we could

Quote Originally Posted by Neonic View Post
    umm there are plenty of class out there that do not have pets, if you don't mind your dps going down then don't use one....Some of us would use more than one pet if we could
    And how many of them benefit primarily from using a bow/gun?

Wanting an archer style spec/class isn't entirely unreasonable.

Deleted
    Back when a hunter was my main, in raids we would make our pet stay besides us. It died in seconds due to AoE when getting into melee (even in thrash. Molten giants really loved to destroy pets, back before they had reduction talents and such). We simply had a wolf howling to buff our damage sitting around and that was it. And damn, I was happy that my pet wasn't doing anything. If they had decided to make MM a petless spec, I may had kept my hunter as my main. Instead, I switched to my warr alt at the start of TBC. And never looked back.

Too bad they probably won't make a Ranger class ever. A real shame.

Deleted
    If you don't like the pet I advice you to look into another class. The pet is there for a reason, it would be stupid to not use it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it bad you don't like to use your pet ?

Yes.

Deleted
    its not bad you don't like using it, its bad you don't though.

As far as I've seen, the best hunters DO keep their pets on passive and by their sides most of the time but micro manage them to make sure that they're dealing damage when the sustained/burst is most necessary.

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hezo View Post
    If you don't like the pet I advice you to look into another class. The pet is there for a reason, it would be stupid to not use it at all.
    That reason is not just damage and a lot of times it's best not to use it for damage because it might end up out of range or out of line of sight. Especially in PvP when you can use one of their abilities while you're in a tight spot like being CC'd or trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    As far as I've seen, the best hunters DO keep their pets on passive and by their sides most of the time but micro manage them to make sure that they're dealing damage when the sustained/burst is most necessary.[COLOR="red"]
    Are you talking about PvP or PvE here? If PvE, this is as false as it gets, as your pet deals quite a chunk of damage. Why keep your pet idling by your side if it could be dealing damage? Or am I completely misunderstanding your post? The best hunter should maximize pet dps uptime if the pet is in no danger of sudden death.
    Last edited by Butu; 2012-11-22 at 06:18 PM.