Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Twinkies were alright.....but I prefer moon pies, or wagon wheels

I mean jasper said it best

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qu32fBkiHFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post
    Just right wing flailers.........so yea same thing.
    Please quote where exactly I blamed right wing flailers for hostess going out of business.

I was pointing out the people upthread using this as an excuse to rag on unions, whether or not they had anything to do with it.

Furthermore, It was not the "union" that rejected the company's offer, it was the employees themselves in a vote, where they rejected the offer overwhelmingly (92% voted to reject it).

Whether the bakers themselves were dumb for rejecting the offer is a separate matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Anyway, what is the point of going on strike to you force your own company to liquidate and loss your job? Negotiation is there for a reason.
    Strike is a form of protest to allow negotiation. (One of the more extreme methods).
    This is however avoidable considering their old financial history wasn't exactly great, and the people that went on strike should've at the least done some homework, cause now they're out of a job and they just destroyed a company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Welcome to 0bama's America. Grab your popcorn because its just getting good. In a few months, it will make what is happening in Greece look like a discussion about a short drawer at McDonalds.
    Same thing would happen if Romney won... just he would have made sure his rich friends were taken care of by the middle class

As for twinkies they will survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm literally going to the store and buying a few boxes of twinkies and devil dogs.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Furthermore, It was not the "union" that rejected the company's offer, it was the employees themselves in a vote, where they rejected the offer overwhelmingly (92% voted to reject it).

Whether the bakers themselves were dumb for rejecting the offer is a separate matter.
    Upon reading more, it sounds more like Bakers Union mislead it's members into believing they had more bargaining room.

http://www.teamster.org/content/team...t-vote-hostess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Just another reason to disband unions.......
    Why? The Union just disbanded itsself. If they had accepted the contract you'd probably be going "Look unions can work with business!" It's such bullshit rhetoric.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

my dad lost his job over this. pretty pissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Why? The Union just disbanded itsself.
    Umm, no it didn't. The union isn't limited to just the Hostess bakers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Strike is a form of protest to allow negotiation. (One of the more extreme methods).
    This is however avoidable considering their old financial history wasn't exactly great, and the people that went on strike should've at the least done some homework, cause now they're out of a job and they just destroyed a company.
    I definitely believe in mismanaged companies, but I also believe in mismanaged unions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I definitely believe in mismanaged companies, but I also believe in mismanaged unions.
    I always thought of unions as some sort of business...next we will need unions for our unions!Then unions for those unions....
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I eat healthy so i can keep this sexy bod, could care less. Feel sorry for the fatties out there though, this will be a tough one to swallow... lol
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    my dad lost his job over this. pretty pissed.
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Umm, no it didn't. The union isn't limited to just the Hostess bakers.
    Not my point. All those people are out of work now, union members and non-union employees alike. Unlike businesses, Unions self-regulate. If they push too far then the company goes out of business and everybody loses.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

$22/hr unskilledunion laborers strike over not wanting a 10% pay cut.

They all get fired, and will probably have to accept employment making 50-60% less than they did before.

Sounds like they made a great decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    $22/hr unskilledunion laborers strike over not wanting a 10% pay cut.

They all get fired, and will probably have to accept employment making 50-60% less than they did before.

Sounds like they made a great decision.
    Exactly, they gambled and lost.

Though I wouldn't call bakers "unskilled" labor. Remember the other unions in the company accepted the deal.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Exactly, they gambled and lost.

Though I wouldn't call bakers "unskilled" labor. Remember the other unions in the company accepted the deal.

From the article I read on either abcnews or cnn, they were paying as much as $22/hr for employees that were performing a task you could pretty much teach a middle schooler to do.

Pouring premeasured ingredients into a hopper or putting 6 wrapped cakes into a box is something that shouldn't earn more than minimum wage, but because of unions, it does. And that's why a box of twinkies costs $5, and why I stopped buying them a long time ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Not sure if trolling.

Also, the unions only cover 5,000 of the 18,500 employees.

And if you even bother to read the article and not just sit there being completely ignorant:

Clearly Obama's fault! This absolutely would not be happening exactly the same if Romney was elected.
    ^this
    People just need something to whine about imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    From the article I read on either abcnews or cnn, they were paying as much as $22/hr for employees that were performing a task you could pretty much teach a middle schooler to do.

Pouring premeasured ingredients into a hopper or putting 6 wrapped cakes into a box is something that shouldn't earn more than minimum wage, but because of unions, it does. And that's why a box of twinkies costs $5, and why I stopped buying them a long time ago.
    Like I said, they pushed too hard and lost. That's how unions work.

Just, be kind.

The Twinkie reference from Ghostbusters will be meaningless to future generations! Well....not that they would watch Ghostbusters anyhow.