Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Welcome to 0bama's America. Grab your popcorn because its just getting good. In a few months, it will make what is happening in Greece look like a discussion about a short drawer at McDonalds.
    Guys! It's all Obama's fault! He does, after all, have a big button in the Oval Office labeled "Destroy America."
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Welcome to 0bama's America. Grab your popcorn because its just getting good. In a few months, it will make what is happening in Greece look like a discussion about a short drawer at McDonalds.
    Yes because he was voted in, and has been your president for 4 years now, and was just voted in again since what he did those years where good enough for more then half your population, but the next couple of months is diffidently when everything is gonna turn for the worse <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me sad. We have a thrift (defective products) Hostess/Wonder Bread store literally just across the street from my school. I used to eat at Hostess every single day (I'm too paranoid to eat cafeteria food, and we'd usually get not so bad of things like pretzels), and because of it, I gained 8 lbs in 3 years, which is good, because that put me at "nearly dangerously underweight". Sadly, with Hostess going out of business, I'll have nothing to eat for lunch and so I'll drop back to dangerously underweight again. Hostess had always been a traditional thing at my school and it was unlikely to not have a class just after lunch filled with Hostess products.

Plus, Hostess was such an iconic brand of the U.S. regardless of it's everyday affect on everyone, Hostess has been a popular object in our culture for so long that it's depressing to see that end.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

I was never a huge fan of the fatty snacks

10+ Year Old Account
    And not a single fuck was given by this guy. There's over 9000 items of junk food I'd have over a Twinky.

Though it's certainly sad they're going under. Not a good thing for anyone.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Sad New Sgt Al Powell jumped off the Nakatomi tower after hearing this sad news

His friend Sgt John McClane says he will be missed LOL

On a serious note i feel sorry for the workers involved but i cant say i will miss twinkies they were pretty horrible IMO

BUT DING DONGS I WILL MISS

I am not a Obama fan by any stretch of the imagination, but blaming this on him is a huge stretch of imagination.

They had problems for years just like the auto industry. Honestly I am just surprised he didn't offer to bail them out like the auto industry. The majority of the bail out money went to Unions.

No surprise here. Several of my friends jobs are in jeapordy too. I can't believe we reelected Obama. Not one thing has gotten better since the man took office and no one seems to notice or care. I know he got dealt a bad hand after how badly Bush fucked things up but...it's been 4 years and we've made negative progress. You really want another 4 years of this shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Radoria View Post
    No surprise here. Several of my friends jobs are in jeapordy too. I can't believe we reelected Obama. Not one thing has gotten better since the man took office and no one seems to notice or care. I know he got dealt a bad hand after how badly Bush fucked things up but...it's been 4 years and we've made negative progress. You really want another 4 years of this shit?
    you must have not read the whole post or even anything about the situation with hostess, it has nothing to do with Obama. Hostess already went bankrupt once during George Jr's terms, this time around they asked their employees to take a 10% pay cut so they can afford things and get back on track.. the union told their workers to go on strike and at the beginning of this week hostess warned the union "if enough workers don't return to work by thursday we will have to shut down" and they thought they were bluffing, well this is what they get for not taking the warning seriously.

10% pay cut just became 100% pay cut

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny that you say that. Do you even know anything about Hostess in general? Cause if you don't I would kinda ask you you go learn something first before you spout off useless dribble about this being "Obama's America". A simple fact for you since you don't bother to actually do research for yourself Hostess actually loses a lot of money on product that does not sell. I've known 3 drivers for the company (one that worked for them for over 20 years) that deliver goods to general stores and have seen the product they have to remove off the shelf at times due to it being within a day of "expiring" and they will not be there. This is loss for them as well since they make money on what they sell. This had nothing to do with Obama cause even if Romney was in office it would of happened period. I wonder what you would be saying then maybe grabbing popcorn? Or would you of just sat there like well it will get fixed with Romney....think again and grow a brain or at least use the one you have.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Guys! It's all Obama's fault! He does, after all, have a big button in the Oval Office labeled "Destroy America."
    Does he also have a stockpile of Hostess goodies in his doomsday bunker? Because I smell a plot to corner the snack-cake market.

I know most of the liberals probably think that a company that sells unhealthy snacks going out of business is a good thing. But the reality is this is scary. The fact that a union can cause a company to close its doors should worry us.

Now I understand from that article that the company was mismanaged and wasn't doing very well, but I think the unions probably didn't help with the recovery at all.

All that's left are some trademarked brand names and the factory equipment that hostess used. Additionally thousands of people will be left jobless at the beginning of the holiday season. To put it in perspective that's probably a lot of kids that won't get Christmas presents this year because their parents lost their job.

I think its a shame what happened and it really makes unions look terrible. I know they serve a purpose to improve the conditions of workers. But all too often that power gets abused and companies just can't support them.

I guess I better get to the store to buy some of those cupcakes, before they disappear forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why... I don't support, nor hire anyone associated with any union in my business and workers are contractually obligated to tell me if they join one. If people strike, I give them a deadline and if they don't meet it, I fire them.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i didn't even know twinkies were real, only ever heard about them in zombieland :<
    Oh man I love you. That's just hillarious. I'm seriously laughing my ass off right now. Seriously. Not at you, but at... I dunno. I love that movie, so that probably has something to do with it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 05:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    I am from England, and what does a Twinkie taste like?

I remember Woody Harrilson had an obsession with them in the film Zombieland, and I've wanted one ever since.
    It tastes like white cake filled with a frosting using vegetable oil as a filler, but not only that, a frosting that uses more vegetable oil filler than any sane human being would be willing to use.

I'm American, and I have NEVER been able to eat the 2nd Twinkie in a 2 Twinkie pack. If I could finish the first one it was a test of intestinal fortitude.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 05:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Sad New Sgt Al Powell jumped off the Nakatomi tower after hearing this sad news
    Nah, according to Al his wife is the one that is going to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoria View Post
    "In 2004, the company entered bankruptcy with approximately $450 million in debt. It emerged after investment from Ripplewood Holdings. Today, it now stands at just shy of $1 billion in debt, despite additional investment by two more firms, Silver Point and Monarch."

IT'S ERBERMA'S FAULT. HE TERK ER JERBS!

Do you people actually believe this shit?

It had approximately fuck all to do with Obama.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

They look so dry and horrible. No wonder ...

that explains why UFO got careless and news-team has been able to video tape them ... there were probably stocking up on twinkies
    http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#...in-denver.kdvr

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Just another reason to disband unions.......
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...iness/1708409/
    The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union said the company stopped contributing to workers' pensions last year, and the union wants pension benefits restored.

Seems like a pretty good reason to strike to me. Their pension is part of their pay. The company essentially decided to just stop paying them, *without* both sides agreeing on a new deal. This would be like you getting your paycheck at the end of the week and you notice the pay rate isn't what you and your boss agreed to when being hired. When you question your boss the response is, "Well, we just didn't want to pay you what we agreed on, so we didn't".

Personally, I'd tell them to pay the F up, and wouldn't work another day until they did.

You agreed to a contract, you live up to it - No excuses. A business that doesn't live up to it's contracts shouldn't be in business, period.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    It's almost true.

You see, POTUS has no control over domestic policy. However they spend the vast majority of their campaign blabbering about domestic policy. So Americans think their own country is a dictatorship and show up to the presidential election.

However when it comes time to elect the house (you know, those guys that use the power of democracy to decide upon domestic policy) very few voters turn out (because they are too obsessed with who is or isn't president.)

And Obama has continued the tradition of presidents who campaign about domestic policies that they have no control over, rather than about what the POTUS's job actually is, and thus continues to distract Americans from the process of electing lawmakers.

So for decades now, the United States has been controlled by special interest groups (because those are the only people who bother to understand how the system works, and thus the only people who show up for the primaries (you know, them there candidate choosing thingamabobs), and for the general election.

Everybody else continues to be like "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO VOTE FOR OBAMA BECAUSE HE'S PRO CHOICE" Even though after 8 years of a pro-life Bush, who was likened to Adolf Hitler, abortion still remained legal in the U.S, because that's not something the POTUS has the power to actually decide.

You want democracy? Show up for candidate selection. Show up in greater numbers to the General election, and scoff at the presidential election (not the other way around).

After decades of hero worship of celebrity presidents, and a run-away house that is under control of special interest groups, it's a wonder that any business chooses to remain on U.S. soil, when any minute the house (who most of the population DIDN'T vote for, or participate in the candidate selection for) could pass some cockamamie piece of legislation that renders their company insolvent.

And I didn't see Obama or Romney add "the truth about the role of the president, and how the house actually controls domestic policy" to their campaign (and instead campaigned on their views on domestic policy). So yes, It's Obama's and Romney's fault for continuing to perpetuate the culture of political ignorance that has turned the United States into a job killing machine, and contributed to the death of the twinkie.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/PA694.pdf Also here you go. Your autocratic rulers will spend 250,000 dollars per poor person in the U.S. over the next 10 years, and yet your poverty levels will increase. Why? Because the special interests that have taken over have written "Save the poor" on a gigantic 500 billion dollar pork barrel that they are all using to fund their own political agendas.

TLDR

Want to save the Twinkie? Want to save your country? Want to help the less fortunate?

I dare you all to pick a side, democrat or republican, and then show up for the primaries and help choose a candidate for your district, and then show up for the 2014 general election. And any time you see Obama's mug pop up on the TV and start blathering about domestic policy, extend your middle finger and tell them to get back to his desk because that's not his job.

Also, On Topic: Rest in Peace Twinkie. According to the articles on it's demise people just weren't actually buying them, so even if hostess is bought up, the twinkie will likely not be featured on any future product lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Wait....I thought Hostess and Little Debbie were two different companies.
    They are, worry not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKee_Foods