Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Twinkies are disgusting, i can only hope that they go the way of the Lawn Dart.

When is the last time you actually bought a hostess product? (anyone), with so many generics with the same ingredients and taste I bet it's been 10 years since I have.

And when you really think about it, unless you are high or extremely drunk, twinkies are nasty. Dry little things with barely any filling at all.

The only thing I would miss (if another company wasn't going to buy the pieces and still make all the products) would be wonder bread, and even that I haven't bought in a decade at least.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

It's unlikely the brand itself will die.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how you read the article you linked and took away from it that it was just "whining."
    Easily. It was someone with obviously zero business acumen standing on a soapbox complaining that the big evil corporation didn't have enough money to pay him what he thought was enough money.

His union should never have agreed to allowing Hostess to take their pensions contributions.

A more honest approach would have been that Hostess was simply going to halt pension contributions for that year and the people would have to take a pay cut.

What it wound up being was the employees collectively loaning money to Hostess. Loans get dissolved under bankruptcy. Everyone knows this. That's the danger of loaning money.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-19 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I hear opinions are objective facts.
    Nutty Bars>>>>Twinkies. In my totally factual completely non-subjective opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Welcome to 0bama's America. Grab your popcorn because its just getting good. In a few months, it will make what is happening in Greece look like a discussion about a short drawer at McDonalds.
    oh yes because any other political party would have fixed this?
    You only got yourselves to blame.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Was in Target earlier, the entire Hostess section was completely empty.
    Same thing in my local Safeway. Only thing left were their god awful powdered donuts.

If I want mass produced stale powdered donuts, I'm getting Entemann's!
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    When is the last time you actually bought a hostess product? (anyone), with so many generics with the same ingredients and taste I bet it's been 10 years since I have.

And when you really think about it, unless you are high or extremely drunk, twinkies are nasty. Dry little things with barely any filling at all.

The only thing I would miss (if another company wasn't going to buy the pieces and still make all the products) would be wonder bread, and even that I haven't bought in a decade at least.
    again what has been stated is not fact you may hate them but quite a bit of people like them including myself and yeah hopefully they'll sell the recipe to another company.prediction I forsee idiots buying twinkies on ebay and amazon for over 1k dollars.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    Yeah, how dare that bitch try to encourage people to eat healthier! What does she think we are, a nation with an obesity epidemic?

Oh...
    The criticism against Michelle Obama is perhaps some of the most vulgar and disgusting criticisms I've heard in politics in the last four years. Calling her fat? Calling her "Moochelle?" Bashing her because she wants kids to eat healthy? That's not only stupid, it's despicable.

1. She is not fat, she has an athletic build and I find her to be a beautiful, classy woman.
    2. And what is the harm in promoting healthy eating? Do you want our children to grow up fat and unhealthy?

Taking digs at the FLOTUS like that is pretty fucking low in my book.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I've read some first hand reports.

Seems to me their primary complaint is that the company borrowed their pension fund contributions for a year and then declared bankruptcy. Unfortunately, that's exactly the risk you take when you lend money to someone. I'm not sure why the union contract even allowed such a thing.
    As I understand it from reading that article, they didn't exactly borrow the money, they took it without consent.

As for complaining how many billions the company took in and "still couldn't be profitable" quote, that simply shows an incredible amount of ignorance when it comes to running a business.
    Twinkies and many other Hostess products are pretty iconic snack foods. I haven't seen a Hostess commercial in a rather long time, not sure if that's a symptom of their failing of a contributing factor. All in all with a product line as safe as what they have, they had to have fucked up somewhere hard.

Almost all I hear from them is how horrible it was that the company was trying to cut their pay. Yeah, it always sucks when you have to take a pay cut. But sometimes the company just can't afford what you're making. If it's that bad and your union can't help, then quit and move on. There's nothing to be done.
    It seems as if you are saying that a complaint regarding wages isn't valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    As I understand it from reading that article, they didn't exactly borrow the money, they took it without consent.
    Companies can't do that... not without approval from somewhere. I'm not sure how their pension is structured but I DO know that if they were paying money from their checks into the fund, there had to be approval from someone on THEIR side of the bargaining table.

Twinkies and many other Hostess products are pretty iconic snack foods. I haven't seen a Hostess commercial in a rather long time, not sure if that's a symptom of their failing of a contributing factor. All in all with a product line as safe as what they have, they had to have fucked up somewhere hard.
    It's possible they did fuck up. It's equally possible that a nation that's sick of producing fat kids began curtailing hostess cake purchases.

It seems as if you are saying that a complaint regarding wages isn't valid.
    As I said, it always sucks when you have to take a pay cut. If the company can't afford to keep you on, though... something has to give.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible they did fuck up. It's equally possible that a nation that's sick of producing fat kids began curtailing hostess cake purchases.
    Eh, I feel like you're giving our country too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Just another reason to disband unions.......
    Would you rather have the Meat Packing conditions outlined in Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"? The very thing that started labor unions in the first place?

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 07:36 AM ----------

...and what will Ed Norton's Zombie hunter character do now? =/

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Would you rather have the Meat Packing conditions outlined in Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"? The very thing that started labor unions in the first place?
    The FDA would take care of food conditions.

The FDA would take care of food conditions.
    ...and what about the condition of the human beings behind them?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...and what about the condition of the human beings behind them?
    I'm not sure why that would be the FDA's problem. OSHA usually handles that stuff.

I'm sure someone is just gonna buy the company and continue to make them...

Either way, doesn't affect me, I don't eat pig food, thankfully.

Companies can't do that... not without approval from somewhere. I'm not sure how their pension is structured but I DO know that if they were paying money from their checks into the fund, there had to be approval from someone on THEIR side of the bargaining table.
    That really depends on how the funds were structured. Also, this. It's possible we just haven't seen a lawsuit yet.

Except that snack food sales are growing in this country.

As I said, it always sucks when you have to take a pay cut. If the company can't afford to keep you on, though... something has to give.
    That doesn't mean that wages aren't cut or kept low simply because of greed, nor does that mean that complaints about your wages being cut are just whining.

Don't even think it.

nobody messes with my twinkie.

sorry but it's the first thing that poped in my mind when i heard about the company going under. While yes the company has been missmanaged if they were trying to fix things and get it runing right then yes it really hurts that the union would rather strike and put all these people out of work than try find a way of fixing things with the company.

Sad thing is. well the only ones who suffer atleast the most are the ones that are members of that uninion. most of the suits and higher ups probably do have a plush out and plenty of money to hold them out. but the average worker now lives from paycheck to paycheck. how really is the union helping them now?
    Last edited by Arteous; 2012-11-19 at 08:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're confusing "can't" with "shouldn't". It's a common mistake. A lot of people can and will do something they're not supposed to, and short of sprouting wings and flying, there's very little a person or company "can't" do.

I suspect it's a little of all of the above, it sounds like they've been in and out of bankruptcy court for several years now, clearly the company was not healthy. It is likely mismanagement, combined with a narrowing market and a tightening economy, I'm certain really high wages for the union didn't help, but if a company is healthy, workers can push for a better share for themselves. At one time, their wages might not have been too much.

Pay cuts, unlike pay raises, can lead down a slippery slope. If Hostess was barely getting by over the past several years, I doubt a minor pay-cut would have significantly increased their chances of success.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.