Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Storm Legion Unpopular?

It seems people's impression of the Rift expansion are quite good. I am a bit confused as to why it doesn't seem that Storm Legion isn't as popular as I had hoped it would be.

How are you gauging popularity?
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

and more importantly, why are you gauging popularity?
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

I don't know. I see a lot of people running around me in new zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Myself being a new player, I see a ton of new players messaging on general chat channels with questions. So I'm not sure if would say its unpopular. What I do know, and what has always attracted me to Rift, was the fact that Trion is running a successful MMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ztreb185 View Post
    It seems people's impression of the Rift expansion are quite good. I am a bit confused as to why it doesn't seem that Storm Legion isn't as popular as I had hoped it would be.
    It may not be as popular as say WOW but if a solid percentage of active customers purchase the upgrade then it's successful. The mmo market is so saturated that you need to lure people away from other games in order to increase the population.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is giving you this impression though, OP? Rift is a great game, but it isn't the most popular game out there, which means that an expansion not getting a lot of talk shouldn't be surprising.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Popularity does not denote something being actually good. Forget about suckering into "the popular thing" and you win life. Easy and simple as that. You just have to be able to fight any urges advertisement campaigns give you, whether it's to go buy a McD's burger or buy a car, etc etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking a look at the current viewers of MMOs in this forum.
    D3 - 223
    GW2 - 131
    LoL - 87
    Minecraft - 27
    Rift - 35
    Swtor - 131

Surprising that the week of launch there are that few people "listening" in on the sub forums. I have the game, but am currently unsubed. I just can't find the urge to sub up. Something about the marketing just didn't grab me. I kept looking for that hook. I'm people are talking about it, and I really hope it (continues) to do well for where it's at.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Surprising that the week of launch there are that few people "listening" in on the sub forums. I have the game, but am currently unsubed. I just can't find the urge to sub up. Something about the marketing just didn't grab me. I kept looking for that hook. I'm people are talking about it, and I really hope it (continues) to do well for where it's at.
    The Rift Numbers over the last week have fluctuated from anything between 12 to 180 viewers from what I've seen. It doesn't mean anything, Trion have been far too busy catering to the audience they DO have as opposed to changing their game to please potential subscribers they don't have. As it stands, Rift is the only other "Subscription Only" MMO alternative to WoW; and its pretty tough competing in a genre where the alternatives are buy to play, or Free to play.

It doesn't matter to us players, numbers are huge on servers at the moment, and you won't find many negative population threads here or on the official forums.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I have had request though from several friends to put up a ton of good footage of my leveling process and stuff on YouTube because they want to see what the max level stuff is like, specifically of the Storm Legion variety.

Rift's old advertisements made me hate the game, I still personally hate the "we're not in Azeroth anymore" crap, but I think they learned from their lesson. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Eve, Secret World and Tera are still sub based. SWTOR too if we are counting hybrid models.

There are alternatives to Warcraft that are sub based games.

I understand Secret World or Eve may not be everyone's cup of tea in either setting or gameplay. But that would hold true for Rift or Warcraft just the same.

Fair is fair and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Eve, Secret World and Tera are still sub based. SWTOR too if we are counting hybrid models.

There are alternatives to Warcraft that are sub based games.

I understand Secret World or Eve may not be everyone's cup of tea in either setting or gameplay. But that would hold true for Rift or Warcraft just the same.

Fair is fair and all.
    I stand corrected.

I've read TSW was going F2P as well, and I wouldn't count a hybrid model in any capacity since many F2P games I've seen have a Subscription/lifetime subscription alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post

I've read TSW was going F2P as well, .
    Where did you read that? The grapevine? It probably will eventually go free to play but it'll be a year at least I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Where did you read that? The grapevine? It probably will eventually go free to play but it'll be a year at least I think.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09...2p-if-need-be/

Not really the grapevine if its the CEO, but yes, my original post should not have said "is going".
    Last edited by Antipathy; 2012-11-16 at 10:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Taking a look at the current viewers of MMOs in this forum.
    D3 - 223
    GW2 - 131
    LoL - 87
    Minecraft - 27
    Rift - 35
    Swtor - 131

I've been playing the expansion, haven't been on here in like a week now... I don't know whats happening... Time just seems to pass so fast, but having such a blast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    I've been playing the expansion, haven't been on here in like a week now... I don't know whats happening... Time just seems to pass so fast, but having such a blast!

I was wondering where you had disappeared too I know your in a top end EU guild so the push is on for you guys to get to 60 ASAP which kinda sux since you have little time to stop and smell the roses.

I pop in here to keep on eye on things from time to time but find it difficult to pull my self away. Last night at 3:00am in the morning there was 42 people online in my guild which is unusual for such an off peak time.

Deleted
    Seams to be loads of new players in chat, asking questions. been speaking to people obviously new to teh game all evening tonight. Zones are pretty busy at most levels.

I recently came back myself, and I am so impressed with what Trion have done to the game am almost lost for words. They have managed to balance the complexity of the soul system and yet still make it pretty streamlined and fun. there is so much varied content I just cant do it all! and unlike other games....I am not forced into one type of content.
    Dimensions are insane! people are making fiendish jumping puzzzels and opening them as public instances, could spend hours in there.

Rift has matured into what I am quite happy to come out and say is the best fantasy MMO on the market. Its got masses of content and its all accessible to players easily.

If anyone reading this has not tried it recently, give it a shot, esp the 50+ content (does not take long to level), the lower level stuff is good, but the game just takes off after 50 where Trion obviously just let their devs and artists go nuts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I was wondering where you had disappeared too I know your in a top end EU guild so the push is on for you guys to get to 60 ASAP which kinda sux since you have little time to stop and smell the roses.

I pop in here to keep on eye on things from time to time but find it difficult to pull my self away. Last night at 3:00am in the morning there was 42 people online in my guild which is unusual for such an off peak time.
    Im in special Olympics, we managed to finish clearing all the experts a few hours ago, just gearing up a bit more then doing the 10 man tommorow evening, before probably heading to 20 mans early next week! I was almost world first level 60 as well, I passed out with about 3 bars to go at level 59 tho, after 43 hours of solid gameplay xD, When I woke up I got on and quickly level'd tho becoming the world first 60 mage... But yea whatever! having a blast experts are a real challenge ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Im in special Olympics, we managed to finish clearing all the experts a few hours ago, just gearing up a bit more then doing the 10 man tommorow evening, before probably heading to 20 mans early next week! I was almost world first level 60 as well, I passed out with about 3 bars to go at level 59 tho, after 43 hours of solid gameplay xD, When I woke up I got on and quickly level'd tho becoming the world first 60 mage... But yea whatever! having a blast experts are a real challenge ^^
    That is pretty insane pace. Seriously hardcore