Page 1 of 3
LastLast

RIFT has brought my faith back to MMO's with SL

First Off, WOW is an iconic and epic game.. that I owe countless hours of fun and excitement too. I would venture to say that it was the most influential game of all time. With that said..

I finally got around to playing Storm Legion for a significant amount of time yesterday and if anyone is on the fence about whether it is a good expansion or not, or whether RIFT is a good game or not.. I think SL kills any discussion on the topic.

I have played WOW for 8 years and I just can't get myself to play it anymore. I have put so much time into WOW, have 5 x 80's and I'm so disappointed in what that game has become for me. And I've become so used to MMO's being my "filler". If i'm bored I could always look to an MMO to keep me interested and excited. That process started to get rough.

Since RIFT's release I thought it was a game that was a little too late. It was WOW v2.0 and although a good game was not good enough to replace WOW.

Then on the release of MoP and as the press clippings and beta of SL came in it started to shift for me. RIFT became a game that finally caught up with the developers work. It started to look more impressive in different and unique ways to WOW that it is now standing on its own. I went through today and created an entirely new Assassination build with the features I would like to use and see. I hit "M" and saw that the map was huge on only one of the new continents (I'm in Cape Jule currently). Everything just feels right. The maps are huge but not thrown together, the PA and XP system keeps you from getting to 60 in one day, but keeps you rewarded on a micro level. The builds are extremely customizable,relevant and varied more than ever. The performance with my GTX 680 is tremendous and there is too much to do. I haven't touched dimensions and I can honestly tell you I won't touch near all the content in 8 months to a year.

It is not a WOW clone anymore, imo, it is something more. Its a unique game that is getting better and better by the day and has renewed my faith in the MMO genre.

Thanks Trion if your reading for making a promise you kept to your customers.

Agree entirely. Also been playing WoW for 8 years and its the best game iv ever played. Hands down.

But in the here and now, Rift has done it better, there is more to do, shorter queues, and a wider variety of difficulty and playstyles.

Take a bow TRION.

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "You speak for us all, little one."

Well, you probably aren't a little one. :P

I have to say I agree whole-heartedly. At first Rift needed some polishing, and over the past year and a half, Rift has gone from basically a WoW 2.0 to, just Rift. And Rift - is a very good game. I can't begin to explain all of the things I love about the game - but it just makes me happy. WoW used to feel amazing, and still does to an extent (*coughs*privateservers*coughs*) but Rift just never gets old, it has all kinds of quality of life features I don't even think the WoW engine can do, I feel there is next to no need for add-ons, the game is just all around extremely well-made.

Elrar, Scott, Trion, you have done well. You deserve more rewards for this game and I sincerely hope you get them all.

Much love - Deltrus and I think I can speak for - the MMO-Champion Rifters community.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    I want to try this game, but next week is filled with all kinds of games, Scribblenauts Unlimited for the PC, Borderlands 2 expansion, Planetside 2, and the week ends with some pretty sweet Black Friday sales. I've tried the trial and I sinned doing what I should not do with an mmo and got bored with it in the first 5 levels. It picks up after that right? Also, side note, you mentioned WoW a bit too much in your post.

I always thought myself Rift had a size issue and time investment issue at end game. Dimensions most certainly helps to solve that along with a better direction of what "rift endgame" is. Rift game is more expansive then WoW end game.

Only place I feel the game is lacking now is eSports pvp, but do we really want to deal with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Only place I feel the game is lacking now is eSports pvp, but do we really want to deal with that?
    NAY!

To me it wouldn't hurt if they nerfed leveling time a tiny bit from 50-60 as it seems much harsher than 30/40-50. At the same time I don't want it to be done in a day, because that would take A LOT of the joy from the new zones out. Only now reaching lvl 51 soon because I haven't played much, but I hear that you kinda "have to" double up on dusken and brevane to keep track on the zone level requirements, and not sure if I think that's a good idea.

But can't say that I'm not enjoying the shit out of my playtime, the only thing I'm missing are those damn artifacts. Anyone know what's up with that?!
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    But can't say that I'm not enjoying the shit out of my playtime, the only thing I'm missing are those damn artifacts. Anyone know what's up with that?!
    I've had a good few, theres just so many people in the zones atm as soon as they spawn they get picked.

While I initially had a few gripes with the mob density (too low), mob health, damage, xp per level (too high) and the sheer space you have to cover, I have enjoyed leveling immensely so far. The quests are a major step up from vanilla RIFT, the zones are amazing (I am constantly blown away by the views or feel of an area), new models for many enemies, dimensions, a new city, a new soul, it's fantastic. I'm looking forward to spending the next year and a half in the two new continents, seeing what Trion will serve us

I second this emotion

I've been having an unadulterated blast. When you can spend an entire level (hours and hours) just racing through a zone with 20 strangers, opening and closing hunt rifts, then beating some mobs down... there's just no comparison I've experienced in any other MMO. It's unbelievable how locked up into the game you can get.

Rift is the only MMO I've ever played where the action out in the zones is more compelling than the Auction House PvP I used to partake in. First time I've never cared about making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    I've been having an unadulterated blast. When you can spend an entire level (hours and hours) just racing through a zone with 20 strangers, opening and closing hunt rifts, then beating some mobs down... there's just no comparison I've experienced in any other MMO. It's unbelievable how locked up into the game you can get.

Rift is the only MMO I've ever played where the action out in the zones is more compelling than the Auction House PvP I used to partake in. First time I've never cared about making money.
    I've always said that Rift is at it's best if you just let yourself get taken away by the game. No 'I must do this' or 'Gah, grind for that'...just race around and let things happen.

Deleted
    Loving it, only half way to 52 but I'm enjoying things immensely. Harbringer soul ROCKS! So much fun , especially when I feel like playing lazy and spamming two macros . Just got my cloak upgraded and thought that was pretty cool and rewarding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by merrier View Post
    I've always said that Rift is at it's best if you just let yourself get taken away by the game. No 'I must do this' or 'Gah, grind for that'...just race around and let things happen.
    Aye.

"I'm going to log on today and do my level 50 PVP dailies!"

*ends up not doing PVP dailies but rather does zone events, IA, and dungeons with guildies. :P
    "A flower.

Harbringer is the first time I have enjoyed playing a mage in any video game. Ever.

I think the closest time to enjoying a "mage" other than this was in DnD playing a warrior/mage multiclass human. I mean, now they just give you an AC called elderlitch knight or w/e but this was before that.

This game has the best classes, the best customization, the best. Period. Just the best.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Climb a mountain and you will find shiny things!
    I spent the first few hours in places that you dont really need to visit and ive found ALOT of artifacts. Damn those shiny things always lure me away from questing

Deleted
    Storm legion in my opinion is a completely new game, its just so different from chocolate rift it could have been released on its own as a separate entity, its freaking crazy good.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    I want to try this game, but next week is filled with all kinds of games, Scribblenauts Unlimited for the PC, Borderlands 2 expansion, Planetside 2, and the week ends with some pretty sweet Black Friday sales. I've tried the trial and I sinned doing what I should not do with an mmo and got bored with it in the first 5 levels. It picks up after that right? Also, side note, you mentioned WoW a bit too much in your post.
    Just get to level 50, then you will see why we are always like OMFG BEST GAME EVARRRRR!!!

Deleted
    I have to agree, Storm Legion changed a lot of things in Rift. Though when I first tried Rift it did indeed look much like WoW, the game changed a lot, incredible how much.

One thing I still dislike about them is that there's still that 1 first zone per faction thing, which is kind of annoying when leveling alts, there's only so many times you can pass through those zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    One thing I still dislike about them is that there's still that 1 first zone per faction thing, which is kind of annoying when leveling alts, there's only so many times you can pass through those zones.
    True, but I'm sure most people can get through that hour or so 4 times without too much problems And there is no need for more than 4 characters at all, I bet 99% of the playerbase would agree with me on that.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

10+ Year Old Account
    True, but I'm sure most people can get through that hour or so 4 times without too much problems And there is no need for more than 4 characters at all, I bet 99% of the playerbase would agree with me on that.
    I'm doing pretty fine with one main character, and then I have a 16 who is essentially a bank alt.... should really open up a gbank in her name.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Borderlands 2 expansion
    Off topic, but how is there an expansion (or do you mean DLC) for Borderlands 2 already? the game will only be 2 months old tomorrow.