Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Off topic, but how is there an expansion (or do you mean DLC) for Borderlands 2 already? the game will only be 2 months old tomorrow.
    It's DLC, not an expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It's DLC, not an expansion
    Even so, seems super fast for a DLC. Borderlands 2 is pretty popular from what I hear though, so cha-ching.

There are like 2 or 3 DLC packs for Borderlands 2, I think. The pirate one and some other one with a robot or something. I think 3 more are in the works? Something like that.

They push DLC out quickly is the point.

I'm taking a break from WoW and trying out Rift for a bit, however I might wait till Christmas to buy the expansion since the computer I have now is, well, not optimal for playing it. Until then I will level up to 50 and see what the game has to offer.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saycheese View Post
    I'm taking a break from WoW and trying out Rift for a bit, however I might wait till Christmas to buy the expansion since the computer I have now is, well, not optimal for playing it. Until then I will level up to 50 and see what the game has to offer.
    A month will certainly give you a healthy amount of time to do so, I would say! Have at it and let us know if you need help, feel free to level up on Deepwood - US if you'd like, several of us are on there, including myself, Lathais, EdgeCrusherO0, and Acquiesce!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Same here, been playing since mid-BC in wow and just kind of got burnt out by it this xpac...made a switch to a rift trial and if I continue to enjoy it as much as I do now once I hit 20 I'll buy the full game, but wait on the xpac.
    DeltrusDisc, I might take you up on that Deepwood comment, I'm on Greybriar (I think...) and the people seem nice but it still seems pretty low-pop for a medium-pop server. I'm definitely going to be in need of a good guild (for raiding, etc) once I hit max though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyAngel View Post
    Same here, been playing since mid-BC in wow and just kind of got burnt out by it this xpac...made a switch to a rift trial and if I continue to enjoy it as much as I do now once I hit 20 I'll buy the full game, but wait on the xpac.
    DeltrusDisc, I might take you up on that Deepwood comment, I'm on Greybriar (I think...) and the people seem nice but it still seems pretty low-pop for a medium-pop server. I'm definitely going to be in need of a good guild (for raiding, etc) once I hit max though!
    Well, Deepwood has several raiding guilds. The one I am in, <Terrible Idea> is a fairly hardcore one though, I am just a casual, but they are something else. :P I'm an ex-serious raider from WoW and these guys are a step above the group I was with. (World #3 Hammerknell clear...) =X
    "A flower.

Ahh forsure, I was more semi-hardcore in Wrath than anything, and had some computer issues throughout Cata that prevented me from playing that much...I was hoping to get back into some progression in MoP, but my server (US-Black Dragonflight) really seems to have died compared to how it used to be. Regardless, I like to think of myself as a pretty decent player, so hopefully there'll be room somewhere once I reach the cap

I don't mean to be rude, but how is playing for a few hours enough to make a your mind up if it's better than WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but how is playing for a few hours enough to make a your mind up if it's better than WoW?
    Well I've personally been playing Rift for the past year and a couple months and base my opinion on that.... SL only added more reasons to prefer it.
    "A flower.

If this was directed towards me, I didn't say it was better, just said I was burnt out...which is a reasonable thing considering what WoW has become over the last two expansions. Regardless, it feels nice to start fresh again, and the player base does seem to be more friendly and helpful than what WoW's has (at least on my server) become.

Quote Originally Posted by Budi View Post
    I finally got around to playing Storm Legion for a significant amount of time yesterday and if anyone is on the fence about whether it is a good expansion or not, or whether RIFT is a good game or not.. I think SL kills any discussion on the topic.
    I was referring to this comment, how can a few hours of game play be enough time to form any kind of proper opinion on how good a game is...

Take SWTOR for example, When I first played that game I thought it was fantastic, a week later I stopped playing from boredom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was referring to this comment, how can a few hours of game play be enough time to form any kind of proper opinion on how good a game is...

Take SWTOR for example, When I first played that game I thought it was fantastic, a week later I stopped playing from boredom.
    It's kind of hard not to get addicted to it. There is just so many damn things to do - while leveling as well as at lvl 60. Also, the knowledge that new content is released regularly is a major plus.

Depend on the game. Some games do reveal their gameplay early such that you honestly wouldn't need hours & hours to get a reasonable judge of enjoyment.

To be clear I am talking strictly about gameplay.

Well, I actually played RIFT for very short time, mostly on beta and I didn't liked this game. Honestly, only thing which was actually new and cool is this souls system classes. But questing was really boring and these invasions were boring and poorly made imo. I don't see in which part RIFT is better than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    Well, I actually played RIFT for very short time, mostly on beta and I didn't liked this game. Honestly, only thing which was actually new and cool is this souls system classes. But questing was really boring and these invasions were boring and poorly made imo. I don't see in which part RIFT is better than WoW.
    Game has substantialy changed since the orignial beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Aw, I rather enjoyed my first few rifts. Not to mention the first zone invasion I saw, where I actually died! I was shocked. An MMO killed me! At level 10!

Screen shot or it didn't happen! Yeah I'm pretty squishy in the xpac atm too and you have to be mindful of your surroundings or you're going find out pretty quick it's not all faceroll content.

Yea, the standard Rift 1.0 questing system was one of the dullest aspects. I think it hurt Rift a bit to have such a plain/simple quest hub mechanic early on. Especially because Trion didn't really communicate too well that Rift was intended to speed you to level 50 asap. As the majority of actives in the game aren't even accessible till max level.

So a low level POV of the game is quest hub -> rift event -> quest hub*infinity. The nuances of rapidity, zone layout, economy and so on are just not immediate.

Though Trion made leveling even faster 1-50. At this point "quest hubs" done in the Warcraft style are merely an afterthought or there for the players that specifically enjoy that style of content ala GW1.

"Traditional" questing might be the slowest way to level considering the new avenues of leveling post Ember Island and into the expansion.

I do find Rift superior to World of Warcraft in many ways. Though that's just a personal judgement call-- not much to say on that. Different strokes for different folks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Budi View Post
    It was WOW v2.0 and although a good game was not good enough to replace WOW.
    I can't count how many times I referred to Rift like this. I agree completely - I to this day will say WoW was the best game I ever played. But, it has fallen off and although I was skeptical about RIFT - I got in about 2.5-3 months before SL launched - I was amazed at how awesome the games was. Now, to top it off SL is even more amazing - if not for my feverish pace to get to 60, I would be lost in this huge world looking in every little corner for every little thing - but I guess that'll have to wait until I'm a 60 - for now the coolness blinders are on and it's grindmode.

As if the sheer coolness and serious amount of stuff to do in RIFT wasn't enough, when I did buy it the whole game cost me $5 - thats with 30 days of game time.... $5? I tell people I would have paid $50 - considering the shit I have bought for $60 that has lasted me 1 week. I would tell anyone into mmos to give RIFT a shot.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-11-18 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't a WoW vs Rift thread. Both games have their merits.

All I can say is, and ever Rift player here will agree with me: Rift Beta and v1.0 is nothing compared to Rift v2.0

Rift v1.0 is nothing compared to Rift v1.6 (Ember Isle)

It's free to play till level 20 - you should give it a try - you will be most impressed.

I finally got around to playing Storm Legion for a significant amount of time yesterday and if anyone is on the fence about whether it is a good expansion or not, or whether RIFT is a good game or not.. I think SL kills any discussion on the topic.
    Valid question. When I made the post I was inferring that I had been a long time player or RIFT and a short time player of Storm Legion. But what I had seen with my brief engagement with SL left me excited. To contrast, my first few hours of MOP did not give me the same feeling. I'm not bashing game vs. game but to frame the reference I call in another "similar" MMO expansion I can compare

The reality of RIFT is that its not very well done when you start. Even IA's in lower zones get somewhat tedious. But if you love MMO's you are doing yourself a disservice not leveling at least one toon to 50. At 50 the game takes off and becomes 1,000 times more enjoyable. And now with Storm Legion it becomes 2,000 more enjoyable. Its the little things really.. for instance, When you first get to Storm Legion you get the typical expansion "First set" of competitive green gear. In other MMO's this is a throw in with little to no art direction and usually very generic models. Not so in SL. My rogue looks absolutely fabulous from an aesthetics point of view rocking his level 51 greens. Its the little things like that to which RIFT excels. Add on Dimensions and you make it 2 totally different games. A sandbox and a themepark in one.